• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading question, please help.

13 posts in this topic

Guys,

I'm back into the hobby after a 20 + year exit. I'm going to be putting 25-30K into investment grade comics. I'm going after keys such as ASM 129, ASW 10, XMen 94, Hulk 181, etc. in 9.6 grade. The question I have for the board is should I only purchase copies with white pages? Would a 9.6 with ow-w pages be ok? I'm sure there are many dealers on this forum so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have noticed on comic link and other sites that you can get a 9.6 copy with white pages for basically the same price as a ow-w example so should I only stick with white page copies.

Thanks,

Dennis

Yes.

I agree, but...

I have noticed on comic link and other sites that you can get a 9.6 copy with white pages for basically the same price as a ow-w example

this kinda answers your question about investment differentials.

My question is how did you manage to amass 30k to invest in comics?

Because if you're wanting to invest in comics right now, you're obviously not too sharp on investing, so it's impossible for you to actually have 30k. It's a conundrum.

Unless you inherited it from someone or from a lawsuit or something.

I'm just sayin.

White pages, yes! Buy for quality of production also. All those 9.6s with the white of the back cover showing around the front are "easy" 9.6s. No colour breaking stresses when there's no colour to break. Get books with perfectly-centred covers. Make sure that little black line is right on the spine.

Here's one I love to show off because it was such a lucky find. Not a 9.6 but white pages and perfectly centred on an issue that is chronically miswrapped:

ASM10.jpg

Happy hunting!

I just sold my house and cleared 300K, i live in southern california.

Can you please tell me why I should not be investing in comics right now? Is the market on the way down? I would really appreciate a nice write up to explain your opinions?

the trend is down on many books. i wouldn't say it is not the time to buy but definitely the time to do your homework, check all the auction sites and ebay and make your list for shopping. Start taking notes on what the prices are and then make a low ball bid if the book you want is available.

I returned to the hobby in 3/09 but I didn't really make any major purchases until 7/09 when I had a good 4 months to compare prices on the books i wanted and since then, I was able to acquire many of the books I wanted below the average cost that I tracked.

If your time horizon to buy these books and not sell them for 3 or 5 or 10 years, then it "might" be a good place to "park" your money but knowing nothing about this hobby and spending $30k seems illogical to me. It is easier to buy something you love and wanted regardless of the value, then price appreciation is a bonus...otherwise, be prepare to get disappointed and this stuff is not as liquid as a stock so when and if you have to sell fast, you will be hating it like many others that had to sell for financial reasons.

Just browse thru the Market section on this forum...how many books you see sell at or below "book" prices? plenty.

I think that now is the time to buy if you have the means to do so... 2c

There are many good deals to be had but like eta said, so do some homework.

I'd concentrate on SA or GA. :)

Very good advice about getting perfectly centered copies. Get 9.6/9.8 with white pages and perfect centering. Don't compromise. The best copies of long-time key books will always be a good investment in the long term.

Oh, and Rodan, gorgeous ASM#10. Stunning. :applause:

White pages, yes! Buy for quality of production also. All those 9.6s with the white of the back cover showing around the front are "easy" 9.6s. No colour breaking stresses when there's no colour to break. Get books with perfectly-centred covers. Make sure that little black line is right on the spine.

Here's one I love to show off because it was such a lucky find. Not a 9.6 but white pages and perfectly centred on an issue that is chronically miswrapped:

ASM10.jpg

Happy hunting!

the trend is down on many books. i wouldn't say it is not the time to buy but definitely the time to do your homework, check all the auction sites and ebay and make your list for shopping. Start taking notes on what the prices are and then make a low ball bid if the book you want is available.

I returned to the hobby in 3/09 but I didn't really make any major purchases until 7/09 when I had a good 4 months to compare prices on the books i wanted and since then, I was able to acquire many of the books I wanted below the average cost that I tracked.

If your time horizon to buy these books and not sell them for 3 or 5 or 10 years, then it "might" be a good place to "park" your money but knowing nothing about this hobby and spending $30k seems illogical to me. It is easier to buy something you love and wanted regardless of the value, then price appreciation is a bonus...otherwise, be prepare to get disappointed and this stuff is not as liquid as a stock so when and if you have to sell fast, you will be hating it like many others that had to sell for financial reasons.

Just browse thru the Market section on this forum...how many books you see sell at or below "book" prices? plenty.

Good advice. Buy what you love. Comics are more like bonds in terms of appreciation. Also, the graded comics prices above 9.4 have become ridiculous. Some of the prices being paid will never be recouped down the road, because we have a changing economy in which a $12 an hour job is now the new good job.

ASM10.jpg

Happy hunting!

thicon_e_greatbook.gif

thicon_e_greatbook.gif