• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What did Todd McFarlane learn from the early 90s?

59 posts in this topic

Ya gotta love the TM haters (very much akin to Yankee haters)...it's quite amusing. Seriously, what did he do exactly to incur such wrath? Nada, he did what every, single, person here would have done...build, and promote, their corporate empire.

PAHleeeeeeeeeeeeze!

Backlash is to be expected when the never ending hype machine is in full swing. In fairness, the media does cover all the teams: The New York Yankees, The Yank York Newies, and The New Yankton Yorkies.

I gleefully await the day the Yankees declare themselves greater than the Beatles.

Seriously, they already are! doh!

Are what? C'mon man, finish the invocation. Noel Gallagher and Terrence Trent D'Arby are all ears. :baiting:

I went to the LCS last night to pick up my Spidey 610 and there were about four guys in there snagging about ten titles each all talking about variants. Apparently the owner of the shop will sell the variants as soon as they come in at face value like he's supposed to unlike some people that try to sell them for more immediately and he'll put them on your pull list if he has three months heads up on it. I don't get it and probably never will, I figure I don't need the variant covers.

Why are owners supposed to?

So the flippers can sell them for profit doh!

:jokealert:

So..uhm... where can I buy my copies of the super duper collector Holo-platinum foil embossed limited edition extremely rare and high grade signed with Gold ink Haunted #1 ??

Ya gotta love the TM haters (very much akin to Yankee haters)...it's quite amusing. Seriously, what did he do exactly to incur such wrath? Nada, he did what every, single, person here would have done...build, and promote, their corporate empire.

While not a McFarlane comics fanboy, I will admit his figurines were a giant leap over what was available before and he deserves big kudos for that endeavor. I'd suggest that Todd fundamentally changed figurine toys and set the bar pretty high for the other companies who had to struggle to catch up. And it took them years to do so...

Jim

PAHleeeeeeeeeeeeze!

Backlash is to be expected when the never ending hype machine is in full swing. In fairness, the media does cover all the teams: The New York Yankees, The Yank York Newies, and The New Yankton Yorkies.

I gleefully await the day the Yankees declare themselves greater than the Beatles.

Seriously, they already are! doh!

Are what? C'mon man, finish the invocation. Noel Gallagher and Terrence Trent D'Arby are all ears. :baiting:

Bigger than the Beatles (thumbs u

While not a McFarlane comics fanboy, I will admit his figurines were a giant leap over what was available before and he deserves big kudos for that endeavor. I'd suggest that Todd fundamentally changed figurine toys and set the bar pretty high for the other companies who had to struggle to catch up. And it took them years to do so...

Jim

Absolutely true. Although, they do tend to break fairly easy doh!

What did Todd McFarlane learn from the early 90s?

1. Milk it for all it's worth.

2. Own the rights to and publish the comics you work on.

3. Merchandising and farming out the character to other creators is easier than drawing.

4. Don't accidentally name one of your characters after a sports star.

5. If the character is marketable, characterization be damned.

Jim

When you make them fight each other you can't be too rough.

I'm a McFarlane comics fanboy. Spidey, Hulk, had all the Spawns. I think most people had all that stuff in the 90's didn't they?

I won't however be buying multiples of Haunt though. One is good enough.

Yes the McFarlane toys are the shiznit. My favs are the sports figures.

Jim

When you make them fight each other you can't be too rough.

I'm a McFarlane comics fanboy. Spidey, Hulk, had all the Spawns. I think most people had all that stuff in the 90's didn't they?

I won't however be buying multiples of Haunt though. One is good enough.

Yes the McFarlane toys are the shiznit. My favs are the sports figures.

This is all we had when I was a kid.....until Capt. Action came along....

377416181.jpg

I still have a green Thor.