• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What did Todd McFarlane learn from the early 90s?

59 posts in this topic

I am one of those people that enjoy McFarlane's art, but reading part of his message in the back of Haunt #2 made me feel like he learned nothing from the early 90s (or did he?).

"With the first issue selling out we rushed to get another to the printing press. You probably notices a second printing of Haunt #1 when you went to pick up your copy of Haunt #2. You might also have noticed the Haunt #1 Collectors Edition on sell, as well. With only 3,000 copies printed, this issue of Haunt is sure to be a rare commodity. Containing all the interior art of Haunt #1, the Collectors Edition features my black and white cover, with a gold foil embossed logo. Additionally, there are 100 limited edition copies signed by Robert and me. Those who want to mark this monumental release should definitely pick up a copy."

Maybe I am just being too sensitive remembering all the die-cut, foil embossed, poly bagged and multiple covers or the early 90s and this is not the same.

I am one of those people that enjoy McFarlane's art, but reading part of his message in the back of Haunt #2 made me feel like he learned nothing from the early 90s (or did he?).

"With the first issue selling out we rushed to get another to the printing press. You probably notices a second printing of Haunt #1 when you went to pick up your copy of Haunt #2. You might also have noticed the Haunt #1 Collectors Edition on sell, as well. With only 3,000 copies printed, this issue of Haunt is sure to be a rare commodity. Containing all the interior art of Haunt #1, the Collectors Edition features my black and white cover, with a gold foil embossed logo. Additionally, there are 100 limited edition copies signed by Robert and me. Those who want to mark this monumental release should definitely pick up a copy."

Maybe I am just being too sensitive remembering all the die-cut, foil embossed, poly bagged and multiple covers or the early 90s and this is not the same.

What he learned was how to make a quick buck with the knowledge that some fanboys will bite...

Jim

I was wondering the same thing the other day...

this and Chew both with the golf foil mess... and, my God, have you seen all the different versions of Image United that are available?

The cost of my November comic order dropped by half after I removed all the different versions of stuff that was coming out. Insane.

The whole industry learned nothing and is dragging us back to an implosion that we will not recover from...not that we ever really recovered from the early 90s.

The very worst offenders for this sort of thing are Dynamite...the biggest bunch of tossers in comic publishing today. I recently had the pleasure of updating our database with all the variant covers for their Red Sonja title. I updated #0 through #44, a total of forty-five issues.

Covering these issues, there are no less than 263 different covers.

263!!!

That's 5.84 different covers for every single issue.

Mind you, I equally blame the m o r o n s buying them all...same sh!te, different package. doh!

Red Sonja has been a good read, though. I just buy one of each. (shrug)

You might be, but some breadstick-armed, dateless nerd is buying a whole bunch of the little ers! doh!

:signofftopic: Kelly Brook is on the cover of Loaded magazine and has an exclusive photo shoot inside :) Thought you might be interested

The whole industry learned nothing and is dragging us back to an implosion that we will not recover from...not that we ever really recovered from the early 90s.

The very worst offenders for this sort of thing are Dynamite...the biggest bunch of tossers in comic publishing today. I recently had the pleasure of updating our database with all the variant covers for their Red Sonja title. I updated #0 through #44, a total of forty-five issues.

Covering these issues, there are no less than 263 different covers.

263!!!

That's 5.84 different covers for every single issue.

Mind you, I equally blame the m o r o n s buying them all...same sh!te, different package. doh!

Yep...only a matter of time...

Jim

:sumo: Hey, I buy all of the GI Joe covers that come out from IDW. Part of it is that I'm a GI Joe fanatic, but part of it is that I want to do what I can to make sure the book doesn't get canceled due to low numbers.

Red Sonja has been a good read, though. I just buy one of each. (shrug)

You might be, but some breadstick-armed, dateless nerd is buying a whole bunch of the little ers! doh!

:signofftopic: Kelly Brook is on the cover of Loaded magazine and has an exclusive photo shoot inside :) Thought you might be interested

:o

(worship) (worship) (worship)

OK, so that's one publication that they can put out as many variant covers as they like. :)

The multiple covers, variant covers, foil, hologram, etc, "fad" of the 1990's is what drove me out of comics. I didn't collect any comics at all from 1990 until 2003 where I restarted because a friend who is still collecting recommended I check out Planet Hulk as he described it as "the absolute best Hulk story he has ever read". Hulk had always been my primary title to collect and I have to say after reading Planet Hulk he was right.

The difference for me now is that I am not a completionist that has to have every book. I now only buy one copy and pick the cover I like the best.

What he learned was how to make a quick buck with the knowledge that some fanboys will bite...

Jim

lol End of thread!

I went to the LCS last night to pick up my Spidey 610 and there were about four guys in there snagging about ten titles each all talking about variants. Apparently the owner of the shop will sell the variants as soon as they come in at face value like he's supposed to unlike some people that try to sell them for more immediately and he'll put them on your pull list if he has three months heads up on it. I don't get it and probably never will, I figure I don't need the variant covers.

Would you expect him to say anything to the contrary? He's trying to sell comics after all. He's hyping it.

I'm no fan of his but you don't sell comics by telling fans not to buy them.

I dunno but other than Jim Lee,I try to avoid the original Image guys like the plague, never like thier attitudes for some reason.
Because they belive there better then everybody else in the comics biz.