• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Ebay Auction!

18 posts in this topic

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taern_hornblade&completed=0&sort=3&since=-1

Ok y'all, after weeks of asking questions I've finally taken the plunge and put some comics up on Ebay. I'd appreciate 2 things from y'all:

1. Bid high. smile.gif

2. Criticize my auctions so I can make them better. I have a lot of comics to cycle through in the next couple of months, and I'd like to be as successful as possible!

Let's see here:

Opening prices seem reasonable enough to generate bids, and your shipping charge is fair on all except maybe the Hope's End thing?

Do to your low feedback rating and 1 negative I would prefer larger scans of the comics. I know 1 negative isn't the end of the world, but since you don't have a lot of feedback it is magnified and your rating is a 97.2%. Not bad, but again a lot of comic book buyers have been burned on Ebay so they like the security of knowing they are going to get what they pay for!!!

Now with that being said it may not be worth your time depending on the given group of books, selling price etc, but I don't buy off small scans anymore.

Another tip is if you did not pay the $.25 cents for the Gallery image, you might want to consider it. I can't tell if you did from the link, but Ebay publishes their results on auction with and without Gallery pictures and I believe the last I saw Auction with Gallery images sold on average for 11% more.

After 5 years of buying and selling on Ebay, I have had the chance to test out all kinds of auctions.

I have some items on Ebay right now, if you want to take a look at my auctions it might give you a better idea of some things to include like posting that you combine or reduce shipping on multiple items won. You would be surprised at how many bidders I get that win up to 5 of my auctions at one time.

Another plus for you is that you accept Paypal, which should help even though you don't accept Credit Card payments.

One last tip has to do with the length of your auctions. If you need cash quick I find that 3-day auctions are pretty effective in most cases. I used to believe that having the listing on Ebay longer meant more bids. This is not generally the case, but their are exceptions to the rule. What I tend to see is that the auctions will go ignored on common items until the last 24 hours and then the bids will pop up.

Posting 7-day auctions became agonizing to me since there was virtually no action on them until the last day.

I hope these few tips help you generate more revenue on Ebay. Good Luck!!!

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it.

When I get more auctions up I'll definitely include a note about combined shipping. I suppose I can go edit now. smile.gif

Hope's End is a boardgame, so shipping is higher. smile.gif

I don't have a scanner right now, so I'm using my digital camera. I shrunk the images before uploading them, maybe I should just upload the originals, which were large enough to go in real close on the books. I'm hoping to get a few positives with these first few auctions, just to get some comic-related feedback. I think my grading is accurate, most of my comics are in excellent condition and I"ve spent quite a lot of time researching.

Are gallery images just larger images? Guess I can go look that one up too. smile.gif

The 3 day auction is a good idea. I don't necessarily need the money, but I agree about most auctions being flat until the last day or two. I just didn't know how much time I needed to allow for viewing, especially on the cheap books that might need to find just the right buyer to even have a chance.

Are gallery images just larger images?

A gallery image appears on the listing pages so as a potential bidder scrolls down he can see the image prior to actually entering the auction to bid. You can upload larger images and supersize the pics, but there is an additional cost.

I gotcha about the board game, I though it was a book!

The 3 day auction is a good idea. I don't necessarily need the money, but I agree about most auctions being flat until the last day or two. I just didn't know how much time I needed to allow for viewing, especially on the cheap books that might need to find just the right buyer to even have a chance.

Absolutely true, some auction take a while to generate bids, but more times than not I get as many bids in 3-days as I get in 7. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think I'll definitely try out a 3-day auction for my next one.

Hi.

Your BIN for the Contest of Champions series includes 4 issues for $9.95.

You realize that Mile High Comics is buying those comics in NM for $3 right? (Assuming you're spot on with your VF+/NM grading.)

So they'd pay $12 for your comics.

You realize that Mile High Comics is buying those comics in NM for $3 right? (Assuming you're spot on with your VF+/NM grading.)

How "spot on" do you really need to be with your grading when selling to Chuckles? The guy overgrades consistently... tell me he doesn't undergrade when buying..!?!

How "spot on" do you really need to be with your grading when selling to Chuckles? The guy overgrades consistently... tell me he doesn't undergrade when buying..!?!

I don't know actually.. we'll see. I offered to sell them hundreds of Marvel Previews, Bizarre Adventures, Marvel Super Specials, Howard the Ducks, and Epic Illustrateds. (Magazines)

All basically warehouse copies and unread/stored for over 25 years.

I've never actually sold to them before. It seems an easy flip though.. since they're paying $12 for them. Imagine what they're selling them for. ($14.40 for each on sale from $18.)