• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series and health of high end grails

136 posts in this topic

I own about a hundred yellow label books and love them. I am not a hater of the program. People are having severe issues understanding what I am saying. Maybe I should use hand signals. Or maybe I am insane.

Honestly, I do have some qualms about high-grade/rare books being signed on the cover, but it isn't for me to decide whether or not an owner should be able to do so. I've got probably a couple dozen books signed by Joe Simon and Stan Lee, one GA book and the rest all silver. I had no qualms whatsoever, because they were all mid to mid-high grade books with no census scarcity whatsoever. Me getting a half dozen Cap 100s in 7.0 condition signed is going to have no impact whatsoever on the market. Just my take on it.

I own about a hundred yellow label books and love them. I am not a hater of the program. People are having severe issues understanding what I am saying. Maybe I should use hand signals. Or maybe I am insane.

I think we understand what you're saying, we just disagree with what you're saying.

As the person who helped people obtain Creig Flessel signatures on Pre-Batman Detective comics. Or the person who owns a 7.0 planet 41 SS'd by lily renee, Or a 4.5 copy of the first appearance of beast boy signed by arnold drake. Or countless other pre 1990 books. I would have to say I am completely against your idea. I am happy we can get any book we want signed by the creator we want. Many creators didn't do work in the 1990's or later so what would we have signature series by them. The beauty of the program is you can get what ever you want signed by whoever you want making everybodies SS collection unique. I mean what is CGC said celebrities couldn't sign a book unless they worked on it or there was a photo of them on the book. That would kill your collection wouldn't it. I doubt you would like that. So why would you want CGC to do something to kill other peoples collections.

OK..you convinced me...

actually....in these forums...that's not saying much...

but, yeah, sure..I'll sign your petition...

Would you be for CGC SS setting up parameters that no pre 1990 book could be yellow labeled under program, which would overnight halt the destruction of the high end vintage gems taking place?

Anyone that wants to try and tell me what i can and can't do with my property can eat me. Just because you think something is "destructive," and I respect your right to your opinion, doesn't make it so. I fully expect to be virtually tarred and feathered by the anti-auto crew, so bring it on.

Would you be for CGC SS setting up parameters that no pre 1990 book could be yellow labeled under program, which would overnight halt the destruction of the high end vintage gems taking place?

Anyone that wants to try and tell me what i can and can't do with my property can eat me.

:sick:

Anyone that wants to try and tell me what i can and can't do with my property can eat me. Just because you think something is "destructive," and I respect your right to your opinion, doesn't make it so. I fully expect to be virtually tarred and feathered by the anti-auto crew, so bring it on.

I got ya back. :sumo:

you can't beat someone to death with a stack of slabs duct taped together.

get over it

you can't beat someone to death with a stack of slabs duct taped together.

get over it

Four slabs duct taped together plus my excellent striking and ground skills = better watch out Nawth Cackalacky.

Of course there shouldn't be a line drawn. Its all or nothing. Plus anyone that really wanted their GA/SA book signed doesn't need CGC to do it. I'm having a book signed right now through a witness since I can't be there and it won't be slabbed. I don't require an SS label to tell me its authentic if I get it signed or if its from someone I trust. Now resale is a different matter.

I don't think they are misunderstanding. You were very clear... If a book was published before 1990, then CGC should not accept that book for the signature series program.

I just think they, like myself, disagree.

I love the CGC SS program for those nifty blank sketch covers that have been comng out past few years. I like that you can mix and match media signatures with indusrty artists and writers on moderns.

Some of my favorite type books are a Fallen Son blank, worked on by M Wolfe in full color inks and markers, and signed by B Wrightson. Or A Serenity modern signed by River (Summer Glau) along with Joss Whedon, as well as cover artist. I have a Fallen Son that is the most ridiculously detailed full color Hellboy, signed by artist, as well as movie director and Hellboy actors etc that to me is a gem of a book.

BUT:

I have a problem with high end vintage books, as in AF 15, or Hulk 1, or ASM 129, or all the pedigree golden age etc that are getting marked up by bleed thru markers. This to me is not the point, or the direction that CGC SS program should be going. It just strikes me as destructive, and this is coming from someone who loves the program for the 50 different kinds of modern blanks that have come out.

Since there are no stupid questions...does CGC downgrade for the signature?

I sort of agree with Roy on this issue (dilution of the blue label population) and with your proposal (in part). I definitely think it's a shame when GA and SA treasures are defaced with big black marker on the front cover and personally, I pass right over any SS books that come up in my ebay searches, etc.,.

However, folks can do with their books whatever they want as far as I care, but I'm really not even sure why it would matter whether or not CGC would stop SS certifying pre-1990 books anyway? Isn't it more about meeting the artists and creators, talking to them, and getting their signatures? It was for me "back in the day" when I met Jim Steranko and Neal Adams and procured their signatures.

Maybe it's just about the label and the $$ these days though, I personally can't believe the prices on SS books... :(

I think all those books with marker all over them should be PLOD's but that is just my preference...The splash page or the CGC holder should be auto'ed...not the cover!!

There is a book for sale on here right now that has scribbling all over the cover but it's in a CGC yellow holder so it must be a value add!