• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

When you put a $10,000 1 carat diamond against a $500 1 carat diamond, you can SEE a substantial difference, in clarity, in color, in (lack of) flaws...it's fairly obvious.

But if you were to crack this book out and lay it side by side with 10 also-cracked strong 9.8s, who would be able to find the 9.9? Where's the $12,000 difference in quality?

And here's the pièce de résistance...that book could go back through CGC and easily get a 9.8...or it could get a 10.

So what has the buyer bought? What value for his money has he obtained?

And please don't say "yeah, well, he could go spend $10,000,000 on a Honda Civic, so there!"...he COULD...and I doubt the lot owner would turn him down...but he wouldn't have to. Same example here. Prior to CGC, this never would have happened. If CGC didn't exist, this never would have happened. It is only because of what the label says....and not any actual, quantifiable difference in quality of the item inside the case....that garnered the difference.

And should we really be encouraging the idea that it's the label that is important, and not the book inside....?

I'm going to feel dirty in the morning, but...

:applause:

Oh, but it's SUCH a delicious kind of dirty.....

:devil:

Sigh.

The label is as important as the book to some.

Which is the utter stupidity of it all.

Name one other product where the wrapping is more important than the goods?

That's nonsense - the buyer is paying for both an appraisal of the condition of a physical comic book from a company that's considered the standard within our industry & the physical comic book itself; he's not paying $12k for just an empty plastic shell with "9.9" written in the top-left corner.

He might as well, because the book inside...outside of the $200 or so that a typical 9.8 is worth....is meaningless.

And how is that different than any of the comic book sales that happen on this board, on ebay, in comic stores across the land? If a seller thinks a book is a 9.2, he prices it lower than he would a 9.4 - and if a buyer is presented with a 9.4 book, they're willing to pay more than they would for a 9.2 book.

Bad analogy.

9.4s don't sell for a whopping 61 times 9.2s.

Perspective.

lol You just got me pizzed off and I'm the wrong person to pizz off. Trust me, you don't want me as an enemy. Guess fixing cars over the years has finally gotten to your brain. Your wannabe smart posts do not impress me. No wonder no one likes you here. You think you know it all or try and act as if you do when in reality you know nothing. Stop it before you cause whatever rep you have left further damage. I wish I could write more, but I'm too busy making money unlike some people...

Danny seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm not trying to wannabe anybody. I'm also not here just to make friends, and if I have to lie to myself or try to act like somebody to make friends, well I don't want them as friends.

I will vehemently defend to the death what I believe to be true.

I said this to you before personally Roy...to what end and for what purpose? You've said yourself that you don't have a stake in this horse and I'm pretty sure the buyer didn't hire you to be his Spokesman, so why continue on? If 99% of the boards feels it wasn't the smartest purchase in the world, it probably wasn't, so why continue fighting?

Jim

Because it's an important discussion worth hashing out, regardless of where one stands. The particular details of this sale serve merely as the springboard for a much more important discussion. We could be discussing the Spidey #5, it's the same topic.

That's why.

He feels it's important; who is anyone else to try and peer pressure him into silence?

Just once in my life I'd like to taste drink a $5000 bottle of wine.

I bet that's a pretty awesome $12 water too lol

problem is it probably tastes exactly like a 20 dollar bottle of wine :P

Ehhhh...you'd be wrong about that. ;)

There really is a difference...

Now, if we were talking a 2002 Opus One ( :luhv: ) with, say, a 1982 Chateau Lafite...the former being $150, the latter being about $2000...then I'd say you'd be closer, although experience would probably out the Lafite....

But a $20 bottle of, say, Clos du Bois Cab?

Oh yeah. You can tell the difference.

Now, if we were talking a 2002 Opus One ( :luhv: ) with, say, a 1982 Chateau Lafite...the former being $150, the latter being about $2000...then I'd say you'd be closer, although experience would probably out the Lafite....

I dont give a sheit,as long as it gives me a buzz,it's a good wine. :ohnoez:

I dont give a sheit,as long as it gives me a buzz,it's a good wine. :ohnoez:

Two Buck Chuck it is!

I didn't know squat about wine before I started working as a waiter in a fine dining rest. that happened to have their own sommelier (wine steward)....part of their training was extensive experience with wine and wine pairing....

There really is an entire world out there beyond the alcohol..wine and liquor making is as much an artform as comics.

But, hey, the buzz is important, too. ;)

Life is waaaaaaaaaaay too short to have wine. Same, actually, goes for hard liquor. Instead of drinking crappy wine to get a buzz, save up a few bucks and spend some money on a really good bottle of wine. You will definitely be able to tell the difference.

snob>

Life is waaaaaaaaaaay too short to have wine. Same, actually, goes for hard liquor. Instead of drinking crappy wine to get a buzz, save up a few bucks and spend some money on a really good bottle of wine. You will definitely be able to tell the difference.

snob>

(thumbs u

snob>

:blahblah:

Pedestrian.

(This from a guy who spent $250 for an Identity Crisis #4 just cause the poster was still intact....)

lol

snob>

:blahblah:

Pedestrian.

(This from a guy who spent $250 for an Identity Crisis #4 just cause the poster was still intact....)

lol

:roflmao:

I spend too much money on funny books to afford those high dollar wines,now when you talk hard liqour I love a good 25 year old Jameson whiskey :cloud9:

Everybody has their own particular tastes and interests, and anyone pooh-poohing "the other side", like ol' Fly & Chewie up there, are just being...elitist snobs.

;)

Your example is apt. There are much cheaper ways to get drunk than a 25 year old bottle of Jameson. ;)

Sigh.

The label is as important as the book to some.

Which is the utter stupidity of it all.

Name one other product where the wrapping is more important than the goods?

Lamborghini, Ferrari, Jaguar (and a host of others).

Sorry, but etanick is right. The prettiest, expensive cars on the planet have a history of getting you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

That's not what we're discussing here though. Nobody is talking about paying $10K for a plastic holder with a paper label.

OK, just to be clear: I am not defending someone's right to purchase a modern for $12K. I am not talking about the NM #98 CGC 9.9 that sold for $12K.

I am talking about graded books in general.

CGC is selling an opinion. People pay prices based on that opinion. Depending on what the grade (opinion) is, people will pay prices that they feel are worth CGC's opinion on a given book.

I know it's insane that a barely perceptible difference on a book of 1/32" or 1/8" can cause the price to shift but 4 or 5 figures....but that is the reality.

They are paying for CGC's authentication of the item.

As I've said before, lots of collectors (or dealers) are not confident in their grading abilities so they put their trust in a company to do it for them. This is very similar to an appraisal/building inspection of a house or some other piece of property, an old car or another collectible.

In every field you have an independent expert evaluate a product, put their stamp on the evaluation.

When you have a bunch of "experts" duking it out like we have on the CGC boards things get exciting.

What we are arguing over is how accurately the hairs are getting split down the middle...or can someone actually split the hairs down the middle with accuracy? Obviously when splitting hairs at some point the blade will fall one way or the other rather than split the hair down the middle. Nobody is perfect, no matter how new and sharp their razor is. What people are paying for is for CGC to be accurately splitting the hair down the middle most of the time.

When you put a $10,000 1 carat diamond against a $500 1 carat diamond, you can SEE a substantial difference, in clarity, in color, in (lack of) flaws...it's fairly obvious.

But if you were to crack this book out and lay it side by side with 10 also-cracked strong 9.8s, who would be able to find the 9.9? Where's the $12,000 difference in quality?

And here's the pièce de résistance...that book could go back through CGC and easily get a 9.8...or it could get a 10.

And please don't say "yeah, well, he could go spend $10,000,000 on a Honda Civic, so there!"...he COULD...and I doubt the lot owner would turn him down...but he wouldn't have to. Same example here. Prior to CGC, this never would have happened. If CGC didn't exist, this never would have happened. It is only because of what the label says....and not any actual, quantifiable difference in quality of the item inside the case....that garnered the difference.

And should we really be encouraging the idea that it's the label that is important, and not the book inside....?

No it's not.

It's a 'waking up with Rammstein playing in your head, your wallet empty and a lady-boy lying next to you' kind of dirty.

No it's not.

It's a 'waking up with Rammstein playing in your head, your wallet empty and a lady-boy lying next to you' kind of dirty.

Hey, whatever floats your whistle...

I'm not here to judge.