• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$1,000,000 Frazetta painting confirmed

183 posts in this topic

What's important to remember is we're not talking about comic books here. We're talking about unique one-of-a-kind pieces.

Private sales of art have never been indicative of average price of what an artist is worth. There are too many factors at play.

The right person finding the right piece with the right amount of money makes all the difference.

Auctions are a lot different

As much as I love Frazetta - I dont think he has ever done a painting that gives you the warm fuzzy feeling that a Rockwell does .

I always thought Rockwell was too contrived and schmaltzy. I always preferred JC Leyendecker. I really lost interest/respect for Rockwell when I read about their early relationship and how so many things considered "Rockwellian" were taken from Leyendecker.

BTW, I fell in love with Frazetta's work when I was a little kid way before I even remember reading a comic. Something about those hips he likes to paint on women. Even as a little boy they seduced me. Then when I first saw the Death Dealer, well, it was almost a religious experience.

My religious experience happened with the Egytian Queen !!!!!

I've been using Askart.com since it's inception.

Also, strictly for comparison, Jack Kirby's record price is $41,810 with an average square inch price of $160

Two quick questions...

How much is the subscription to ASKART? I see it pop up in searches all the time but I never went any farther with it.

You know that Kirby number is low right? I can think of many pieces that have exceeded that price.

Askart is $25 a month

I personally paid around $15K for the superb 4 x 5" study to Pellucidar, which is $750 per square inch.

I assure all readers here that most top dollar Frazetta sales were handled privately by Ellie herself, some to people like George Lucas...and the price and terms were kept a secret as per the wishes of the buyer(s).

If Ellie were alive, this 1 mil sale might well have been buried too.

I think the record shows Frank's prices do indeed 'hold a candle' to other top illustrators, especially considering he is still alive.

Lastly, Frazetta is the only living artist amongst the artists being discussed; Remember Frank has so far declined to sell his greatest works-- in 10-25 years we will have a better idea of Frank's true 'price per inch'.

A quarter million is a long way from a million and I stand by my statement that Frazetta isn't worth a million, even for Death Dealer

Whether it's worth it or not, I would pay $1 million for Death Dealer in a heartbeat.

I've been using Askart.com since it's inception.

Frazetta's highest auction result occured in 2003 for a hammer price of $120,750 for this painting:

6824.jpg

Granted Askart doesn't track all private sales (kinda like the GPA of art) but I doubt there are many provable sales of Frazetta over the half a million mark.

BTW Frazetta's average price per square inch is $415

Now let's look at Elvgren.

Elvgren's record price according to askart.com is $262,900 which occured June of last year.

His average price per square inch is $365

Rockwell:

In Nov. of '06 this painting achieved a whopping $15,416,000

16.jpg

Norman's average price per square inch $7,962

Vargas:

Oct. 04 $89,625

Average price per square inch $607

Sundblom:

May 2000 $154,000

Also, strictly for comparison, Jack Kirby's record price is $41,810 with an average square inch price of $160

Not exactly sure what it is that I'm "not getting" as it seems pretty clear to me that through world wide auction sales records that Frazetta doesn't hold a candle price-wise to other illustrators.

Askart.com only shows two Frazetta auctions ever over the $100,000 mark with Elvrgren showing 10 paintings over that. (3 over $200,000)

Also important to note, Elvrgrens sell-through rate is 92% at auction out of 132 pieces and Frazetta's is only 70% out of 232

First off, the only thing I buy per square inch is pine molding.

I don't get where you are going with this price per square inch thing. Going by this whenever the Sistine Chapel sells whomever gets that ceiling is gonna get a bargain. lol

AskArt is, I am sure, a wonderful resource for someone who has no personal, first hand knowledge of the market they are researching. However, for those that have lived in the market and for those that have that experience you are missing the biggest part of the picture.

The Kirby numbers are way off and very low. He's had at least a dozen pieces sell for values in excess of what you noted.

As for Frazetta, the reason you aren't seeing auction results for Frazetta oil paintings is because Frank doesn't let any of his premium oil paintings go, up to this point. The fact that he let one go, one that wasn't his best, and it sold for $1 million is all the evidence of value that you need. A seller set a price, a buyer met it, that's pretty strong evidence of value.

Another strong indicator of value for Frazetta would be all of the offers over the years that he has turned down well in excess of $1 million. Unless you are purporting this to be a phenomenon of mass hysteria there are several people willing to cross that magical line for premium Frazetta oils.

The Death Dealer, that you obviously don't like, is a piece that several well-heeled collectors have tried and failed to get from Frank. The numbers tossed at Frank would probably make the Ask-Art/Pizza-By-The-Foot calculator explode.

It might not be on your "AskArt" site, but Frank's pencil and ink comic covers have been selling in the six figures for quite some time. It's ludicrous to think that his premium oil paintings would sell for less, or even sell for a number anywhere close to a pencil and ink original.

There are several people on this very board that are intimately familiar with the Frazetta market you should probably ask them first for their perspective before you form your opinion based on auction sales of an artist who has never sold any of this premium oils at auction in his life.

Just saying, you are using an auction pricing resource to value an artist's work who has never sold his premium pieces at auction. It's like pricing apples by seeing how much oranges sell for at the grocery store.

Best,

Chris

Chris, I agree with everything you've said except one thing. I believe you buy your pine molding by linear inch, not square inch.

I been doing it wrong all these years..... doh!

Maybe you subscribe to askart and you yourself will see that they also list the pencil sketch pieces.

Price per square inch is a common valuing method in the art world.

Oh and askart also reflects prices on Frazetta, Kirby and other artists panel art as well.

I'm not saying it's the end all be all but it is an excellent resource for true auction sales (and non-sales) results.

Maybe you subscribe to askart and you yourself will see that they also list the pencil sketch pieces.

Oh and askart also reflects prices on Frazetta, Kirby and other artists panel art as well.

I'm not saying it's the end all be all but it is an excellent resource for true auction sales (and non-sales) results.

Oh. My. God.

that's a total crock. I've been a student of the medium my entire life (meaning a student of art). I have a huge library on art of several hundred volumes covering history & sales and in the 30 years since I sold my first piece I have never heard a single soul on Madison ave or anywhere else use any kind of terminology.

By that basis, a 64 page comic is worth more than a 32page comic.

what a crock..

Also. When did I ever say I don't like Death Dealer?

I love how people on these boards immediately take things out of context or put words in your mouth.

If comic art were treated like real art instead of handled the way comic books are then prices wouldn't be so stagnant.

At least that's what Samuel L. Jackson was trying to do in Unbreakable. :)

that's a total crock. I've been a student of the medium my entire life (meaning a student of art). I have a huge library on art of several hundred volumes covering history & sales and in the 30 years since I sold my first piece I have never heard a single soul on Madison ave or anywhere else use any kind of terminology.

what a crock..

I usually walk up to Albert Moy's booth and ask him for a yard of Bruce Timm, and meter of Brian Bolland...since he's British and all...I assume I have to buy it on the metric system, right? (shrug)

Also. When did I ever say I don't like Death Dealer?

I love how people on these boards immediately take things out of context or put words in your mouth.

If comic art were treated like real art instead of handled the way comic books are then prices wouldn't be so stagnant.

At least that's what Samuel L. Jackson was trying to do in Unbreakable. :)

Mr. Glass was truly a visionary ahead of his time

what a crock..

I usually walk up to Albert Moy's booth and ask him for a yard of Bruce Timm, and meter of Brian Bolland...since he's British and all...I assume I have to buy it on the metric system, right? (shrug)

:roflmao: