• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$1,000,000 Frazetta painting confirmed

183 posts in this topic

Interesting. So the cover painting sold for $722K, which means that the other 4 paintings that sold averaged only $277K each, and the rest couldn`t meet reserve, which presumably would have been south of $277K. Even iconic illustration art pieces, produced by one of the finest American illustrators ever, barely sell for more than a 9.4 AF 15. hm

The cover sold for almost 4 x more. That is similar to OA.

Interesting. So the cover painting sold for $722K, which means that the other 4 paintings that sold averaged only $277K each, and the rest couldn`t meet reserve, which presumably would have been south of $277K. Even iconic illustration art pieces, produced by one of the finest American illustrators ever, barely sell for more than a 9.4 AF 15. hm

:hi: CapFreek

well then, does that mean the Wyeth buyers are smarter than the AF #15 buyers maybe???

well then, does that mean the Wyeth buyers are smarter than the AF #15 buyers maybe???

Just saying, to provide some perspective. One can draw whatever conclusions one wishes to from that.

My personal conclusion is that it's both: the Wyeth paintings went cheap and AF 15s are too expensive. Also, that the bias in the art world against illustrated/commercial art remains strong.

Just saying, to provide some perspective. One can draw whatever conclusions one wishes to from that.

Also, that the bias in the art world against illustrated/commercial art remains strong.

Is this really a true statement ? Commercial artists seem to be very much in vogue, and only seems to be getting stronger each year. At least, that is my perspective.

Also, that the bias in the art world against illustrated/commercial art remains strong.

Is this really a true statement ? Commercial artists seem to be very much in vogue, and only seems to be getting stronger each year. At least, that is my perspective.

Fine art painting by Andrew Wyeth, but not one of his best, goes for $6 million. Illustrated art painting by his dad, among his best illustrated work, goes for $227k.

I rest my case.

Since when does Connor post in the investment threads in The Water Cooler hyping the price of gold? And since when does he hang out in the OA Forum, touting hard assets and art as an investment? There's only one poster who does that, and it ain't CapFreek. hm

Fine art painting by Andrew Wyeth, but not one of his best, goes for $6 million. Illustrated art painting by his dad, among his best illustrated work, goes for $227k.

I rest my case.

You could have purchased all 14 of the Crusoe illustrations for the cost of the Andrew Wyeth and still had money left over to purchase a Frazetta or two.

I rest my case.

You could have purchased all 14 of the Crusoe illustrations for the cost of the Andrew Wyeth and still had money left over to purchase a Frazetta or two.

Puts the fine art vs. illustrative art discussion in stark relief, doesn't it?

Since when does Connor post in the investment threads in The Water Cooler hyping the price of gold? And since when does he hang out in the OA Forum, touting hard assets and art as an investment? There's only one poster who does that, and it ain't CapFreek. hm

Yeah, I think it's krazy that people think that td is CapFreek.

Having looked at the auction results directly now, the article was a bit misleading by listing the bid prices in the body of the article before BP, but then mentioning the sale of the cover at $722K including BP.

Actually, inclusive of BP, the total results for the paintings was $2,208,500, and the average price of the 4 non-covers was a more healthy $371,500 (ranging from $242,500 to 482,500). A $277K average price inclusive of the BP seemed insanely cheap to me.

What was most amazing to me from the auction was Norman Rockwell`s study for "The Dugout" going for $662,500, actually below estimates of $700,000-$1,000,000. It`s not even the real painting, which hangs in the Brooklyn Museum, but you had to read into the fine print of the auction description to realize it was just a study. I take back my comments about illustrative art getting no respect!

I think its a little dangerous for us to draw too many conclusions from the Wyeth sale, one way or the other. I don't know about you guys but I'm not too familiar with what collectors of that kind of material from that era even look for in an illustration (by Wyeth or just generally).

It does seem that at least some parallels exist. The cover went for easily the most money ($722k) even though it was far from the strongest image (see link above). After all, I like wyeth's work - at least those pieces with which I'm familiar - but to me that cover is kind of a dud. Nicely executed and all but ultimately quite a static and fairly uninteresting image. Just google his name and look at the images that come up. To me virtually all of them are more interesting than the Crusoe cover (shrug)

I guess the point I'm making is that while its no doubt a rare opportunity to purchase a wyeth cover of any description, perhaps the auction result would have been a lot more impressive if a better piece had been auctioned? Where does something like Robinson Crusoe rank in the hearts of minds of book cover collectors? And is it book cover collectors going after this, or art collectors generally? How thin is the Wyeth market? Did a couple people sitting out affect the auction? There's so much that I don't really understand about the dynamics of this sale and I suspect I'm not alone?

Having looked at the auction results directly now, the article was a bit misleading by listing the bid prices in the body of the article before BP, but then mentioning the sale of the cover at $722K including BP.

Actually, inclusive of BP, the total results for the paintings was $2,208,500, and the average price of the 4 non-covers was a more healthy $371,500 (ranging from $242,500 to 482,500). A $277K average price inclusive of the BP seemed insanely cheap to me.

That does seem more healthy. Here's a fantastic Treasure Island illo that I suspect would do very well!

http://www.harvardsquarelibrary.org/unitarians/images/Wyeth19.jpg

I think its a little dangerous for us to draw too many conclusions from the Wyeth sale, one way or the other. I don't know about you guys but I'm not too familiar with what collectors of that kind of material from that era even look for in an illustration (by Wyeth or just generally).

It does seem that at least some parallels exist. The cover went for easily the most money ($722k) even though it was far from the strongest image (see link above). After all, I like wyeth's work - at least those pieces with which I'm familiar - but to me that cover is kind of a dud. Nicely executed and all but ultimately quite a static and fairly uninteresting image. Just google his name and look at the images that come up. To me virtually all of them are more interesting than the Crusoe cover (shrug)

I guess the point I'm making is that while its no doubt a rare opportunity to purchase a wyeth cover of any description, perhaps the auction result would have been a lot more impressive if a better piece had been auctioned? Where does something like Robinson Crusoe rank in the hearts of minds of book cover collectors? And is it book cover collectors going after this, or art collectors generally? How thin is the Wyeth market? Did a couple people sitting out affect the auction? There's so much that I don't really understand about the dynamics of this sale and I suspect I'm not alone?

I would agree with what you are questioning... but/also/plus, it just seems obvious to me that the potential buyers of these Wyeths have very little in common with the average buyer of an AF15. It is very hard as the old saying goes to compare apples to oranges. I don't know the particulars about these Wyeth sales and moreover speaking as a past owner of an AF15 and the present owner of vintage ASM art I'm not really even curious. I would never have sought out this information had it not been thrust upon me by way of this thread. Doesn't affect my collecting decisions in the slightest.

What was most amazing to me from the auction was Norman Rockwell`s study for "The Dugout" going for $662,500, actually below estimates of $700,000-$1,000,000. !

that's pretty amazing really

I would agree with what you are questioning... but/also/plus, it just seems obvious to me that the potential buyers of these Wyeths have very little in common with the average buyer of an AF15. It is very hard as the old saying goes to compare apples to oranges. I don't know the particulars about these Wyeth sales and moreover speaking as a past owner of an AF15 and the present owner of vintage ASM art I'm not really even curious. I would never have sought out this information had it not been thrust upon me by way of this thread. Doesn't affect my collecting decisions in the slightest.

I got turned on to N.C. Wyeth by a next door neighbor years ago and was astounded by the "Frazetta" quality to his work. I even bought a few Scribner's copies of books that he illustrated. There was a Rare Book store not too far from me that was owned by a fellow who liked Wyeth and he had some amazing stuff...posters, calenders, all vintage. The guy also turned up comics occasionally in estate sales and I was able to get a few piles from him. I bought a collection from him one time and he threw in a very large box of coverless books....it had a Superman 2 and a lot of other cool GA stuff. I missed him when he went exclusively on line. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. One of my biggest regrets with the rare book guy was hesitating on the purchase of an original Pogo daily from 1953 that he had priced at $ 750....damb that was foolish....it was long gone when I went back.

I take back my comments about illustrative art getting no respect!

Yes, illustrative art is real interesting right now. Most of the great art of the 20th century was commercial artists. Sure you have the Pollcaks, Dalis and Warhols , but there are also so many AMAZING commercial artists doing interesting things because of sheer commercial employment, "work for hire. "

It is my understanding that the the Pyramids built at Giza were "work for hire" also.

The cover went for easily the most money ($722k) even though it was far from the strongest image (see link above). After all, I like wyeth's work - at least those pieces with which I'm familiar - but to me that cover is kind of a dud. Nicely executed and all but ultimately quite a static and fairly uninteresting image.

I like it a lot, but it wasn`t my favorite of his Crusoe pieces. No doubt the cover status adds a premium, just like for comic artwork and for magazine illustrations (covers are worth more than interior illustrations).

I guess the point I'm making is that while its no doubt a rare opportunity to purchase a wyeth cover of any description, perhaps the auction result would have been a lot more impressive if a better piece had been auctioned? Where does something like Robinson Crusoe rank in the hearts of minds of book cover collectors?

Pretty high, actually, although not as high as his Treasure Island work.