• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$1,000,000 Frazetta painting confirmed

183 posts in this topic

Price per square inch is a common valuing method in the art world.

that's a total crock. I've been a student of the medium my entire life (meaning a student of art). I have a huge library on art of several hundred volumes covering history & sales and in the 30 years since I sold my first piece I have never heard a single soul on Madison ave or anywhere else use any kind of terminology.

By that basis, a 64 page comic is worth more than a 32page comic.

what a crock..

yeah its like using square footage to value a house. According to that a 5000 sq ft house in nowheresville is going to be worth more than a 2000 sq ft property on Madison Ave.

Sure the size of the piece is important but it only means a damn thing if the two pieces being compared are similar quality, medium, tightness, condition and everything else that impacts desirability.

Just like sq footage only matters if you are comparing places in the same neighborhood with the same yard space built in the same year with the same finishings :screwy:

Talking to you guys is like Noah warning of a flood

:boo:

hm Maybe if you told us how many inches of rain you are talking about that might help.

:whee:

Here read this:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/math/pdf/0609/0609292v1.pdf

You'll notice this within the document:

The average price per square inch (this standardized measure of price

is often an indicator of the value of the art and the artist) was $34.38 per square

inch and ranged between $0.99 per square inch and $222.16 per square inch.

Here's a couple more:

http://darrellcrow.com/blog/?p=146

"Calculate the price per Square Inch for this painting"

This site is one that I've been a member of for a long time and if you paint or draw it's worth joining:

Under "how to charge for paintings"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-261109.html

"My pricing is around 1.15 per square inch though I will usually round it off."

I'm not saying people don't use it, just like people use $/sqft to value houses. By taken in isolation its not a very useful metric.

Besides, you completely lost everyone on this thread when you made this flat wrong comment:

" I would argue that even Death Dealer at auction would have a hard time breaking the 6 figure mark."

It would smash that figure at any time recession, depression, worldwide meltdown, whatever. People pay five figures for little 5" square prelims! And you're trying to tell me that death dealer wouldn't get 100k at auction? Come on.

I'm not saying people don't use it, just like people use $/sqft to value houses. By taken in isolation its not a very useful metric.

Besides, you completely lost everyone on this thread when you made this flat wrong comment:

" I would argue that even Death Dealer at auction would have a hard time breaking the 6 figure mark."

It would smash that figure at any time recession, depression, worldwide meltdown, whatever. People pay five figures for little 5" square prelims! And you're trying to tell me that death dealer wouldn't get 100k at auction? Come on.

No, what I'm saying is BREAK the 6 figure mark as in go above $999,999 in an auction setting.

No, what I'm saying is BREAK the 6 figure mark as in go above $999,999 in an auction setting.

It`s not true because I would pay $1 million for it. (shrug)

The only it wouldn`t break $999,999 in an auction setting is if no underbidder drove me up that high. :wishluck:meh

The only it wouldn`t break $999,999 in an auction setting is if no underbidder drove me up that high. :wishluck:meh

And I'm sure your dad can beat up my dad.

There aren't too many people with that kind of capital that when it came down to it would be willing to drop it on that painting in an auction.

The original painting is only 37 years old and amongst most in the fine art community is relatively unknown.

It doesn't matter whether any of you agree with me or not as until the painting comes to market (if it ever does in our lifetime) there's no true way of knowing.

have you SEEN some of the high grade DCs tim has sold? I'm sure he could raise the million bucks if he wanted to and he's not the kind of guy who would put that out there to boost his ego and not mean it (shrug)

have you SEEN some of the high grade DCs tim has sold? I'm sure he could raise the million bucks if he wanted to and he's not the kind of guy who would put that out there to boost his ego and not mean it (shrug)

I'm not saying he doesn't have or couldn't raise the money. I only made the beat up reference because it seems that rather than using logic all the posts against me in this thread have dove into school-yard type bickering.

As if your wife would let you! :baiting:

Come on Gene, tell us what you think. Is Frazetta a million dollar artist or is this an isolated even?

You're not gonna like his answer. :whistle:

Lastly, Frazetta is the only living artist amongst the artists being discussed; Remember Frank has so far declined to sell his greatest works-- in 10-25 years we will have a better idea of Frank's true 'price per inch'.

This is the key to the whole debate about value, once Frank is gone, these pieces will be priceless...(or at least more in line with Rockwells, ect.)

You are comparing apples to oranges....Norman Rockwell has been dead for 31 years. :preach: