• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 4--Still Getting Hot or Losing Steam?

88 posts in this topic

One of my LCSs has a really sharp looking copy in VG- (though looks more like an easy VG) for straight guide. Now, I know over the spring and summer, this book really started gaining steam, but what's the word on it now? I don't feel like I've heard much on it. I'd almost be half tempted upgrade my 1.5/1.8 but would like to be able to sell it for a decent price to defray costs a bit.

So what are the trends on this one and is straight OS a good deal on a VG- / VG?

It will always be an AWESOME comic...but you might be able to catch deal on a 4.0. If it were me I'd hold out for a sharp, glossy 5.0. The book is very plentiful in mid grade. I'd say investment grade on this one is 8.5 or higher...probably 9.0, which is where they start to become difficult. I would not buy any copy that doesn't have a white cover...that makes a huge difference with this book when it comes to resale.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Well, I'm never going to be in the market for upper-mid grade let alone high grade--just too pricey for my blood. I just know this LCS is well-known for under/conservative grading so their VG- is probably closer to a solid VG. It did have a nice, whiter colored cover too.

I might see if the owner will take mine on a trade + cash deal.

It will always be an AWESOME comic...but you might be able to catch deal on a 4.0. If it were me I'd hold out for a sharp, glossy 5.0. The book is very plentiful in mid grade. I'd say investment grade on this one is 8.5 or higher...probably 9.0, which is where they start to become difficult. I would not buy any copy that doesn't have a white cover...that makes a huge difference with this book when it comes to resale.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Totally agree with this. It might not be quite as strong as it was a year or so ago, but it's one of the top Marvel Keys. Solid spot in the second tier.

I'd take "investment grade" down to 8.0. Good value to be found in that mid-range 5.0-7.0, especially with a white cover (as Jimbo notes). I'd take a 7.0 bright white cover over an 8.0 tanning cover all day.

just wait for the movie hype machine to start rolling. :wishluck: personally i'd rather have STT 114 in HG. :acclaim:

I figured you would have both....

STT is the harder book, but Avengers #4 will always be the "SA Cap" Key. I'd rank STT as 3rd/4th on the list:

1 - Avengers #4

2 - TOS #58

3/4 - TOS #59/STT #114 (interchangeble)

just wait for the movie hype machine to start rolling. :wishluck: personally i'd rather have STT 114 in HG. :acclaim:

STT is the harder book, but Avengers #4 will always be the "SA Cap" Key. I'd rank STT as 3rd/4th on the list:

1 - Avengers #4

2 - TOS #58

I would put CAP #100 as #2. Its a landmark issue (1st all-Cap title since the 50s) and Its a tough black cover to get in HG (I cant tell you how many of these Ive seen over the years with black marker color touch on the cover).

Now THIS is a surprise... how come no one has mentioend SGT Fury #13? Isn't the 2nd appearance of Cap in the Silver Age? Granted, I think it's a "flashback" story if I remember correctly, but still. If you have wanted to talk about a cover that doesn't quit, there aren't many old school issues like that which fit the bill.

In any event, I might give them a holler and see if they'd be open to the deal. Aside from GA books and acquiring the final few SA Marvel keys I don't already own, I'm thinking there are a few books I might start upgrading soon. I just want to make sure now is a decent time to try and trade/sell my FR/GD to GD- copy and get a nice deal on it.

Now THIS is a surprise... how come no one has mentioend SGT Fury #13? Isn't the 2nd appearance of Cap in the Silver Age? Granted, I think it's a "flashback" story if I remember correctly, but still. If you have wanted to talk about a cover that doesn't quit, there aren't many old school issues like that which fit the bill.

In any event, I might give them a holler and see if they'd be open to the deal. Aside from GA books and acquiring the final few SA Marvel keys I don't already own, I'm thinking there are a few books I might start upgrading soon. I just want to make sure now is a decent time to try and trade/sell my FR/GD to GD- copy and get a nice deal on it.

FF #25 is the second app. of SA Cap -- the story takes place between Avengers #4 & #5.

If we are talking any movie factor hype, I am not sold on the Captain America movie and would be more inclined to go with a Journey into Mystery 83 over this.Thor seems it will make a better movie, I am not confident they can pull Cap off and expect Cap`s movie will be something like a DareDevil or Ghost Rider movie for quality, so I wouldn`t put all my eggs into one basket with Avengers #4, Avengers #4 looks like a book to buy after the Captain America movie comes out when all the hype has died down.

just my thoughts,then again I could be wrong and the Captain America movie could be like a Dark Knight movie. :)

1 - Avengers #4

2 - TOS #58

sgt. fury 13, not really considered a 'key', is very underrated IMHO - great cover!

FF #25 is the second app. of SA Cap -- the story takes place between Avengers #4 & #5.

That's right... it's his second crossover. Eh, close enough ;)

If we are talking any movie factor hype, I am not sold on the Captain America movie and would be more inclined to go with a Journey into Mystery 83 over this.Thor seems it will make a better movie, I am not confident they can pull Cap off and expect Cap`s movie will be something like a DareDevil or Ghost Rider movie for quality, so I wouldn`t put all my eggs into one basket with Avengers #4, Avengers #4 looks like a book to buy after the Captain America movie comes out when all the hype has died down.

just my thoughts,then again I could be wrong and the Captain America movie could be like a Dark Knight movie. :)

Yes... but Thor isn't the topic of conversation :baiting:

I've got three ST 114s...one in CGC 7.0... :headbang:

but no longer an AVENGERS 4... :tonofbricks:

Here's my copy I sold a couple of years ago (that I had owned for about 40 years)... :cry:

AVENGERS4VF--1.jpg

Its great to see that FF 25 fact used as I was the one who reported it to Overstreet way back in the day. My little bit of comic book fame. (and Sue getting more powers in FF 21)

Its great to see that FF 25 fact used as I was the one who reported it to Overstreet way back in the day. My little bit of comic book fame. (and Sue getting more powers in FF 21)

I thought it was FF 22 that Sue gained more powers? hm