• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Was The Book That Defined Your Focus?

76 posts in this topic

In recent years , I'd say it was the issue of CBM that featured pre-code horror...can't remember which number, but I do still have it. The issue had repros of certain icon covers, none of which I'd hitherto seen or even heard of. One of them was Weird Mysteries 4. That bizarre, surreal cover just blew me away, and I was a horrorhead once more....

FF112-fc.jpg

The first comic I ever purchased with the few coins my Father gave me from his pocket when I was 6.

I loved that cover and the story inside was WOW!

That book led to:

Obtaining Hulk entire run + all appearances

All FF

all spider-man

all avengers

etc.

Sold off entire collection except for about 50 of my favourite books over 20 years ago. I still have the original FF 112 I bought. In 2002 I got back into collecting again, my goal is to try to get all the books I used to have....

Cool thread

Growing up in the 1970's, I would catch this show in reruns every day after school:

AdamwestBatman.jpg

It was corney but for a 5 year old kid, it was the coolest!

That Christmas, my parents bought me the entire Mego Batman line of toys - it was a kids dream Chrstmas morning :)

I also loved this series:

spiderman.jpg

I would jump on the back of the couch and hang there sideways and crook my head around like Spidey did on TV.

The first comic I remember having was this one:

superman_vs_muhmammad_ali.jpg

My dad was a HUGE Ali fan and bought it for me. I must have read that oversized comic 500 times (I need to get one of those now...)

In the early 1980's, my uncle was a Marine stationed in Californina. He was an avid Marvel comic book guy but didn't collect them. He would send me his copies in a huge box after he read them.

Avengers, Hulk, Spider-man(Web of, Amazing, Spectacular) and Savage Sword of Conan and Barbarian titles.

Conan was my favorite with Spidey a close second. I would have to say that ASM #238 really brought me into the fold:

AmazingSpider-Man238.jpg

The Hobgoblin scared the outta me for some reason and the "Rose" character was interesting and mysterious to me as well. The Sin Eater story in Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-man just set the hook deeper.

I also picked up this on my way to baseball practice one Saturday morning:

389px-Batman_387.jpg

I started drawing around that time and have a scrapbook full of panels I recreated from this book *someplace*...

As you can see, I can't pick just one lol

Dark Knight Returns #4. Probably my favourite ever cover as well.

Was really a Marvel Zombie up to that point. I didn't know anything about the book and didn't understand the story either, not having read the previous 3.

This lead me to Watchmen, then Swampy, Hellblazer, Sandman, Love n Rockets etc.

Mind, now I am back collecting I dont have any DC at all. (Still have my DK4 though).

After I got out of collecting as a kid, I would still pick up EC Comic reprints when I coudl find them because they were a good read. I loved them so much that I really wanted to find an original, but when I did they were out of my price range.

So one day I was looking around on Craig's List and found a guy locally who was selling a huge 60s underground comix collection, but he also said he had a couple of pre-code horror books. No EC, but he had The Thing! #16 and Tomb of Terror #7 which he sold to me for pretty cheap considering I didn't know anything at the time.

Once I had a couple, I just went nuts and started throwing in bids on ebay ECs and odd pre-code and looking for old horror books whereever I went.

So I was focused for a minute. Then I found the Boards.... :tonofbricks:

Now I have a small but nicely growing collection of GA hero, horror, and GGA books, SA marvel books, Pulps, and lost focus in favor of awesomeness.

Fantastic Four 45. Lee and Kirby at their peak, a passel of concepts and characters introduced and mixed together in one of the most exciting comics I've ever read to this very day.

I grew up in the late 50's and early 60's when EVERYBODY still read comics and had a stack laying around, so I had sampled pretty much everything available before that issue, and Marvels, with the exception of FF, really didn't do much for me, I was a Disney and DC fan, with a stack of Turok and Little Lulu borrowed from neighbors for dessert.

I couldn't keep comics in the house, when Mom found them the old bat threw them out, they weren't "literary" or something, even though I'm the only real reader of anything in my family, and I'm an omnivore. I'll read anything from science fiction to biography, mystery to natural history.

So, back to the FF 45. I got it at a hole in the wall gas stop when my family was on vaction out west, I must have been all of 12, and I got it for a whole nickel as a used funnybook.

Read it to death eventually, replaced it years later, and here is a highlight from memory:

Introduction of The Inhumans, Trapster and Wizard in jail and trying to break out (high tech facility, they fail miserably), Great big ol' dustup with Thing and Gorgon going Mano-mano in abandoned tenaments, Crystal and Lockjaw meeting and flabbergasting Johnny Storm, and Johnny falling head over heels for Crystal, and after a mammoth fight, on the last page, the introduction of Black Bolt!

It was 6 or 7 years later before I managed to find and read a copy of issue 46, I was out of high school and there was a new LCS in the city where I was living, and THEY didn't have a copy, but eventually I found a ratty issue at a flea market and pretty much danced all the way home.

Issue 45 did it for me, I've been a Kirby fan and a Marvel fan ever since. I've sold off a couple times, but have always rebuilt my Marvel collection eventually, and indeed am about 20 issues away from having FF 1-112 put back together...for maybe the 4th time.

I have expanded my interests many directions over the years, my most recent indulgence being a run of GA Superman 1-150 (#1 is a reprint, and VERY likely to stay so, lol ) and I also dabble in newspaper strip reprints; many classics are avaible in reprint these days, and the art on something like Terry and the Pirates, or Thimble Theater, or Gasoline Alley, will blow you away, and the stories are top notch, but in the end I believe my interests will always lead back to Silver Age Marvels, and the whole output of Lee, Kirby Ditko, Ayers, and Heck. the Big Five of the 60's Marvels.

And, oddly enough, the definitive DC book for me is Justice League of America 21, the first half of the first JLA/JSA crossover.

Same thing, had it as a younker, read it to death, Mom threw it out, and it was probably a decade before I found issue 22 (and replaced 21) and read the whole story. Still a JLA fan to this day too.

My very NEWEST interest is the prehero run of Brave and Bold, I got a deal here on the Boards a while back on #1, and picked up several reading lots and individual issues here on the Boards, a few more in Chicago this year, and now I'm down to six issues out of the first 24. There is some great stuff in there...

Playboy-November 1976

Patti McGuire centerfold :cloud9:

yep, that was the book that defined MY focus :cool:

Jeez, I think that was my first issue as well. Could have cared less about the Jimmy Carter interview.

I basically have 3 loves in comics, all Doctor Strange, all Green Lantern, and X-Men from GS 1 to 199.

Doctor Strange came from being impressed by this cover:

DS1.jpg

Which lead to discovering this cover:

DS169.jpg

which got my OCD into over drive leading to my having to have all things Strange! After 20+ years, I'm still working on it.

Green Lantern came from this:

GL76.jpg

which led to me finding lots and lots of GL books in the 50 cent boxes at comic conventions. Still working on those pre-76 books to this day.

X-Men came from being a Wolverine fan and seeing some panels in this book:

xmen133.jpg

GS 1 - 199 are the only X-Books I own that are in my "permanent collection," heh.