• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Was The Book That Defined Your Focus?

76 posts in this topic

I always liked horror/suspense comics...and grew up on those amazing DC horror titles from the 70's. in my early teens, an old man who ran the Northside Book Emporium in Houston, Texas turned me on to 2 things that would change my life: old time horror/mystery radio shows and golden age horror.

amassed a bunch of those 1970's EC reprints and some really low-grade golden age affordable stuff (at the time) like 'This Magazine Is Haunted' and 'The Thing'.

Then at the 'Lepre-con' show ( a comic-con that a guy named Larry Taylor used to throw every March in Houston)...I saw it. I was 14 years old and I had brought enough $$$ to buy a few things.

I spent all of it on this one book: It changed the entire way I collected comics and what i viewed as 'valuable'.

lawbreakers.jpg

... Northside Book Emporium...

...Houston, Texas...

... 'Lepre-con' show...

...Larry Taylor...

lawbreakers.jpg

All of these bring back memories.

And what a cool book (thumbs u

R.E.

is that you?

Yes, that is he.

Send him a 'PM' -- Private Message -- by clicking on his screen name's drop down window.

Welcome to the Boards onetime muggy coastal Texas dweller.

What a great thread. I wish I got in here earlier.

For me, it is Flash #123. I was a huge Barry Allen Flash fan as a kid. But, I knew of the Golden Age Flash. When I saw in the OPG that #123 was his re-intro, I had to have that comic. I got it, I believe, at the 1982 SDCC. Now that I have a full Flash run, I'm starting to work on the Golden Age.

Playboy-November 1976

Patti McGuire centerfold :cloud9:

yep, that was the book that defined MY focus :cool:

Jeez, I think that was my first issue as well. Could have cared less about the Jimmy Carter interview.

:applause: Then, like me; YOU were a lucky, young lad (thumbs u

and yes, the Jimmy Carter interview is completely worthless. Even then, and much more now. After all, he is only THE worst US president in the HISTORY of our nation, and VERY close to being a seditious traitor! :frustrated:

Playboy-November 1976

Jeez, I think that was my first issue as well. Could have cared less about the Jimmy Carter interview.

:applause: After all, he is only THE worst US president in the HISTORY of our nation, and VERY close to being a seditious traitor! :frustrated:

andrew jackson, richard nixon, and george bush have jimmy beat by a million miles.

Playboy-November 1976

:applause: After all, he is only THE worst US president in the HISTORY of our nation, and VERY close to being a seditious traitor! :frustrated:

andrew jackson, richard nixon, and george bush have jimmy beat by a million miles.

How about we leave the politics out of this thread? It is a forum rule after all. :rulez:

Don't know that I've had one comic book define my focus, as my collecting habits are somewhat scattered. However, OSPG #9 was definitely the most influential "item" in my life as a collector. Opened my eyes to the world of EC comics and SOTI books. IMHO, two of the best articles written in an OSPG and add in the great Wood cover... :cloud9:

Playboy-November 1976

andrew jackson...has jimmy beat by a million miles.

:screwy: