• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do we have a complete set of Action Comics between all the board members?

73 posts in this topic

Wow Rick, I really disagree with you!

Maybe the earliest part of the 100-200 are not *hot*, in fine or better about 140-200 get nice prices on any auction, and some of those are downright hard to find in fine or better. You have to be collecting these to see it, but the atom age stuff if quite desireable, MUCH more sought after (again in fine or better) than the previous 50-60 issues.

Now, do ANY of the compare with the rarity of the earliest issues? Of coarse not, but I really think you are not giving these atom age issues their due. There is no freaking way you could get 140-200 at SDCC above G/VG, and most likely not even in that grade.

I would suspect that of all copies extant, there are MORE copies of #1-100, in total, than #100-200. Given the nature of collecting, and the severe drop in superhero interest in the early 50's, I bet that's not far off.

now that is certainly a likely condition (thumbs u

Wow Rick, I really disagree with you!

Maybe the earliest part of the 100-200 are not *hot*, in fine or better about 140-200 get nice prices on any auction, and some of those are downright hard to find in fine or better. You have to be collecting these to see it, but the atom age stuff if quite desireable, MUCH more sought after (again in fine or better) than the previous 50-60 issues.

Now, do ANY of the compare with the rarity of the earliest issues? Of coarse not, but I really think you are not giving these atom age issues their due. There is no freaking way you could get 140-200 at SDCC above G/VG, and most likely not even in that grade.

ahh, but that is my point, I clearly stated "condition not important"... I am the first to know that higher grade (books in fn or better ) from the 50's are impossible to find and go for HUGE premiums over "guide" ...but, I simply confirmed it is as easy if not easier to put "a" run (again, not condition sensitive) of 101-200 together, versus 1-100...

the majority of 50's books are in g/vg condition and will not (in almost every instance) sell for a premium (thumbs u

Certainly issues #11 through #100 are relatively easy to find with the exception of #13 and #20

Try putting a collection of #101 through #200 in 6.0 off-white or better, and I guarantee it will take years.

Certainly issues #11 through #100 are relatively easy to find with the exception of #13 and #20

Try putting a collection of #101 through #200 in 6.0 off-white or better, and I guarantee it will take years.

without doubt... heck, I have been trying to put a run of WF together in the same time frame, and after 5 years, I finally "have"...and many are still vg (1/2 I have never seen a fn or better offered)

I am sure it is the same with most all DC's from the 50's... that is an undertaking I certainly do not have the patience for lol

I bet ya you would find as many issues or more of 1-100 at SDCC as you would of 101-200. No way...I repeat...no way you would find 101-200 at that one con. Action is one of the hottest Atom age DC titles, and just as hard to find as the WF's you mentioned. Michelle Nolan even did a CBM article discussing the scarcity of the early to mid 50's issues.

I bet ya you would find as many issues or more of 1-100 at SDCC as you would of 101-200. No way...I repeat...no way you would find 101-200 at that one con. Action is one of the hottest Atom age DC titles, and just as hard to find as the WF's you mentioned. Michelle Nolan even did a CBM article discussing the scarcity of the early to mid 50's issues.
you might be right... but, in 15 minutes, I found at least 1 (in some cases many) copy of 99 of the 100 issues available for sale right now... so, I only need to find that "one" at SDCC lol

the bottom line is (and this is all just for fun folks), I have "proven" that it is easier (at least today) to put together a run of 101-200 than it is to put together a run of 1-100 :)

because I have some time to kill...

I have only found 82 issues of 1-100 available at the same sources I found 99 of the 101-200 issues available... so, by my twisted logic, it is 17% harder to put a run of 1-100 together lol

I beleive Jon Berk has #1-10 complete as well.

Would number 7 be the hardest of the first 10?

:gossip: #3

7 certainly has the most demand outside of #1), but in the last year, 3 copies (well, really 5) of #7 have been available...only two copies of #3 have (that I have been able to track)

again, this is just MY opinion (which, of course, is right lol )

you might be right... but, in 15 minutes, I found at least 1 (in some cases many) copy of 99 of the 100 issues available for sale right now... so, I only need to find that "one" at SDCC lol
You are missing the point Rick! :makepoint: Many of the #101 through #200 Action collectors have a minumum grade and page quality standard. That's the rarity of this era. As soon as a fine ow or better copy appears, it is immediately snatched up. I have studied this for years. ;)

my point is, those "big 4" come up so infrequently for public sale, that they are down right "scarce" .... give me a month, I can complete 100-200 (might can do it in a week during SDCC, or such)...just comparing apples to oranges

I would be very interested in taking you up on that challenge, but as I have not the resources to fund such a venture, alas, it remains an exercise in hypothesis only.

:)

RMA.

With all due respect Rick IS the run master.

You are missing the point Rick! :makepoint: Many of the #101 through #200 Action collectors have a minumum grade and page quality standard. That's the rarity of this era. As soon as a fine ow or better copy appears, it is immediately snatched up. I have studied this for years. ;)
I am not missing any point... I clearly understand the market for those copies "in grade"... that was not the condition for my statement of ease of assembling the run (thumbs u

my point is, those "big 4" come up so infrequently for public sale, that they are down right "scarce" .... give me a month, I can complete 100-200 (might can do it in a week during SDCC, or such)...just comparing apples to oranges

I would be very interested in taking you up on that challenge, but as I have not the resources to fund such a venture, alas, it remains an exercise in hypothesis only.

:)

RMA.

With all due respect Rick IS the run master.

this is just an exercise in fun... but, it did only take about 15 minutes to "hypothetically" put 99% of the run together lol

Ok, so for graded copies from 170 to 200 a quick check of Heritage:

one 192 a 6.0

one 187 a 7.0

one 185 a 7.0

NO 184's

one 180 a 6.9

one 179 a 7.5

one 178 a 5.5 that sold for $386 lol

one 177 a 5.5

one 174 a 4.5

one 173 a 5.0

one 172 a 6.5

one 171 a 6.5

considering how long their archives have been online, I think that tells you something.

Ok, so for graded copies from 170 to 200 a quick check of Heritage:

one 192 a 6.0

one 187 a 7.0

one 185 a 7.0

NO 184's

one 180 a 6.9

one 179 a 7.5

one 178 a 5.5 that sold for $386 lol

one 177 a 5.5

one 174 a 4.5

one 173 a 5.0

one 172 a 6.5

one 171 a 6.5

considering how long their archives have been online, I think that tells you something.

tells us few folks bother slabbing those copies :baiting:

what silver is pointing out (and mike) is certainly 100% true... in even "decent" shape (say 6.0 and higher), most all DC's from the 50's are tough as nails to find...

however, if you are ok with gd's and such, it is a relatively easy task to put a run together, as those copies do not experience near the demand higher graded copies do, and don't have near the value to make them slabbable (is that a word?)...

when I was putting my detective 100-225 run together, I ran into a handful of issues (similiar analogy to the actions) that were definitely scarcer even in low grade, but with minimal effort, was able to procure an example of every book...

thank goodness I have no desire to collect action 101-200... whew!