• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rule of thumb for Restored books' value ?

6 posts in this topic

The Overstreet Price guide gives this rule to evaluate the value of a restored book :

(Unrestored Book Value before Resto + Unrestored BV after Resto)/3.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Now, the problem is you almost never know in which condition the book was in before restoration, so you can't evaluate the first number in that formula (except , maybe, if a detailed restoration certificate is provided).

So, by any chance, do you use a rule of thumb to evaluate the value of restored book that would only depend of th apparent grade after restoration ? confused-smiley-013.gif

The Overstreet Price guide gives this rule to evaluate the value of a restored book :

(Unrestored Book Value before Resto + Unrestored BV after Resto)/3.

Now, the problem is you almost never know in which condition the book was in before restoration, so you can't evaluate the first number in that formula (except , maybe, if a detailed restoration certificate is provided).

So, by any chance, do you use a rule of thumb to evaluate the value of restored book that would only depend of th apparent grade after restoration ?

Yeah:

1) Take the Overstreet Value of book in current restored condition.

2) Mutiply that amount by zero

3) Value of Restored book

Just kidding.

It seems like the value of a restored book is between 25-35% of its apparent condition.

Two sidenotes:

1) GA books could sell for much more depending on rarity.

2) It seems that once you get to the high grades (i.e. VF or better), since the book is restored, your not going to see a huge premium for a NM ® as oppose to a VF/NM ®. Said another way, the premium associated with NM, does not apply once the book is restored.

It seems to me that the value of a restored book needs to be taken almost on a case by case basis. It's easy to say spine roll automatically equals VG, but with restoration, you really have to look at the age of the book, its scarcity, and the amount of restoration. I wouldn't touch a modern book with color touch with a ten foot pole because there's a lot of moderns out there and I know I can easily find an unrestored version. Thus, the formulas above aren't going to work. (Except the multiply by zero one.) But for a normally hard-to-find and expensive golden age book, a small amount of color touch will be acceptable for me. Then, a fraction of the OS value is going to be reasonable.

That said, slight restoration should get a larger fraction that extensive restoration. If the book has had a third of the cover replaced, it should be worth less than one which has only had color touch on the spine. Likewise, professional restoration should get more respect that amateur restoration.

And ALL restoration should be disclosed by the seller. Not just the fact of restoration, but the amount and type if possible.

Matt Nelson at Classic Consevation (www.comicrestoration.com) has published two grids (SA/GA) which provide his rule of thumb for valuing restored books.

you don't need to know the precise grade of the "before" book, but you need to know the degree of restoration (light-removable, light-non removable, moderate, mod-extensive, extensive).

keep in mind that since Matt does this (conservation/restoration) for a living, he may be somewhat predisposed to err on the high side. nevertheless it produces results that i find to be more in line with what folks are paying then the overstreet one (which invariably is higher).

i've also observed that in general GA books that are restored are much more common and the stigma isn't so bad as there are just too few to go around.

recently i saw some decent prices realized for some key SA books as well.

i have a handful of GA keys that i could have never afforded if they hadn't been restored. perhaps some day the perspective on this topic will soften a bit.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think seank has some very valid points. If the book is GA and let's say Gerber 8 9 or 10 then the value of the book restored can bring a premium due to its' scarcity.

Reduction to guide is also largely driven by whether it is an A, M or E.