• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Copper Pride & Joy

1,863 posts in this topic

Happy 4th of July Captain America and Spider-man Foreign Variant Style!!!!!!

Took me a year to find all these

TOP ROW: Hungary, Us Direct, US Barcode, France

MIDDLE ROW: Italy, Brazil, Brazil, Germany

BOTTOM ROW: Greece, Spain, Spain, Finland

97ab87eb-7d5e-49ae-9ee0-8a35fd776ab0_zps2e2af75f.jpg

hey does anybody know the difference in some Bronze-Copper books that had a Barcode and some had the Barcode with a Diagonal Line through it?

Examples are Captain America #241 and Amazing Adventures #1(x-men 1 reprint)

hey does anybody know the difference in some Bronze-Copper books that had a Barcode and some had the Barcode with a Diagonal Line through it?

Diagonal Line = Direct Market

Regular UPC = Newsstand

Diagonal Line = Direct Market

Regular UPC = Newsstand

was there or is there a difference in price to grade?

I would thik the newstand items were thrashed or not kept in as good as condition

was there or is there a difference in price to grade?

I would thik the newstand items were thrashed or not kept in as good as condition

There's no standard (yet), but it's likely that there are more copies of newsstand books for the early-to-mid 1980s.

Then, by the late-1980s-to-early-1990s, there are more copies of direct editions.

But, yes, newsstand copies probably got trashed more often...

but in the early-to-mid-1980s, there MAY have been more of them...

so it could be a wash.

Looking at very popular books like Amazing Spider-man #300 (from 1988) on ebay, so that we have a large enough sample to investigate,

it's pretty obvious that the top graded slabs are direct editions (spidey-head in the UPC box) far more often than you see a UPC barcode.

When the barcode does show up, the grade is usually 9.2 or lower.

That puts 1988 (to present) newsstand books in lower numbers and in much worse average condition than direct editions.

But, I'm not sure how far back that rule applies. When the direct editions started in the early 1980s, there had to be more newsstand books... direct didn't become the majority overnight.

Thanks for the great info

As a foreign variant collector, i include both direct and UPC versions whcih adds a little more to the overall set qauntity...

I paid more for the Barcoded Batman 423 ($25) as opposed to the direect edition can go for as low as $2....

But hey!! its only money right?!?!

I paid more for the Barcoded Batman 423 ($25) as opposed to the direect edition can go for as low as $2....

Batman 423 is another 1988 book... so you probably did fine (eventually). lol

Batman 423 is another 1988 book... so you probably did fine (eventually). lol

Its one of my favorites!!!

Copper pride and joy for the moment at least..

Difficult in high grade (2 9.4's and 1 9.6, 0 9.8's before this one); need to get it re-holdered as CGC messed up the label.

2780_1.jpg

WOW. Never thought I would see a 9.8