• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Copper Pride & Joy

1,863 posts in this topic

A $4.95 cover price, in 1990?

I bet there are not a lot of those out there.

:o

-slym

Hard Boiled was more a graphic novel than a comic book in hand (the paper used, the quality of the printing, etc.) so the price was high but not so high as it may seem now.

I think I just have #1 and #3 as I missed #2, but I also think there are a lot of other similar stuff way harder to find in NM – for example David Mazzucchelli’s Rubber Blanket. I can’t seem to find a single copy on eBay right now…

5rWnYLWh.jpg

Is that a prelim cover? I would have thought the published cover would be inked.

No idea to be honest but I'm still loving it.

As well you should! It is awesome. I am just very curious, because I don't think they could have done that digitally in 1988.

Is that a prelim cover? I would have thought the published cover would be inked.

As well you should! It is awesome. I am just very curious, because I don't think they could have done that digitally in 1988.

Yeah your probably right. Having said that I have the Brightest Day #22 variant cover [2011] and its in pencil a well. Would love to see the process of how they transfer these and finish them digitally.

brightest_day_22_zps2c76d27d.jpg

Breeding could have lightboxed the ink job. The final product is just too dead-on the pencils for me to believe it's a prelim. (Unless one of the artists shows up to say so. :) )

Breeding could have lightboxed the ink job. The final product is just too dead-on the pencils for me to believe it's a prelim. (Unless one of the artists shows up to say so. :) )

That makes perfect sense. I don't understand the process well enough to know if that would work, but I sure agree that the tight pencils are virtually identical to the published cover.

That makes perfect sense. I don't understand the process well enough to know if that would work, but I sure agree that the tight pencils are virtually identical to the published cover.

There is no need at all to digitize a pencil page to preserve it: artists have always xeroxed the pencils in light blue (or another unobtrusive color which was camera friendly) if they wished to do so, and then had the copy inked. :)

I guess the only way to know about the Thor cover would be to ask Ron Frenz himself.

There is no need at all to digitize a pencil page to preserve it: artists have always xeroxed the pencils in light blue (or another unobtrusive color which was camera friendly) if they wished to do so, and then had the copy inked. :)

I guess the only way to know about the Thor cover would be to ask Ron Frenz himself.

You know what that is a great idea. Once I have it in hand I think I might just do that.

Also, it seems Frenz had an habit to do very rough pencils like those, which would then have been refined by inkers which act more like finishers in this case.

This could be an indication they are indeed the original rough pencils for the cover, then finished by Breeding with his inking.

I saw a What If penciled by Frenz which was badly inked and was… well, bad. :P

For the moment, this is my favorite. But I'm a fickle person.

3B640719-9AF3-4105-AB14-1934C8C8ADCC-1208-000000474D3DD874_zps6142ffd8.jpg

This is on its way back to me with a big fat 9.8 in the corner. Absolutely one of the most, if not the most, meaningful books of my entire childhood. The anti-prejudice message is so well delivered. It totally helped shape my worldview.

:whee:

This is on its way back to me with a big fat 9.8 in the corner. Absolutely one of the most, if not the most, meaningful books of my entire childhood. The anti-prejudice message is so well delivered. It totally helped shape my worldview.

Congrats on the grade. :applause:

Congrats on the grade. :applause:

THE BEST X-Men story,congrats.

:applause:

When I bought my SS 9.6 on here a few years back, I couldn't be happier. One of the best Claremont X-Men books, ever!