• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highlander

35 posts in this topic

Was there ever a good Highlander comic?

I'm trying to watch the movie again now... God, this does NOT hold up...

It certainly doesn't hold up. It is filled with cliches and with the kind of scenes designed to appeal to less mature sensibilities. Yes, there are quite a few very good moments but overall, as a film, embarrassing to watch.

Brenda's (Roxanne Hart) reactions were right out of acting school. Her or the director I am not sure, but the best I can say about that character was she was irritating. The writing did not help: when she is looking at MacLeod's circular room filled with artifacts her comment is about how much money they are worth. . She is supposed to be someone with interest and respect in weapons. So of course her first comment is along the lines of "these must be worth a fortune".

One of the film's "pivotal" monments: MacLeod's revelation to Brenda as he stabs himself is pretty much out of an adolescent fantasy.

Kruger overacts so much it is hard to figure out if there actually WAS a director on scene.

The portrayal of the cop "Don't move pal...don;t even breathe". Where the hell did he come from? He pulls a gun, jams it to MacLeod's neck and it? Again - beyond ridiculous wirting for a scene that is essentially a throwaway.

Just too much junk like that peppering - peppering, I say - this movie.

Have to love Sean Connerey's acting though. He brought it and I would not be surprised if he ignored the writing and the director at times while doing so.

But overall? An infantile film that had tremendous potential but was ill realized.

...Oh yeah. Music by Queen? Superb!

For the longest time I thought the actor who played Kurgan (Clancy Brown?) really was 7 feet tall. Felt pretty stupid when I saw him in other movies and realized he's relatively normal-sized (6'3" and change, says IMDB).

It certainly doesn't hold up. It is filled with cliches and with the kind of scenes designed to appeal to less mature sensibilities. Yes, there are quite a few very good moments but overall, as a film, embarrassing to watch.

Brenda's (Roxanne Hart) reactions were right out of acting school. Her or the director I am not sure, but the best I can say about that character was she was irritating. The writing did not help: when she is looking at MacLeod's circular room filled with artifacts her comment is about how much money they are worth. . She is supposed to be someone with interest and respect in weapons. So of course her first comment is along the lines of "these must be worth a fortune".

One of the film's "pivotal" monments: MacLeod's revelation to Brenda as he stabs himself is pretty much out of an adolescent fantasy.

Kruger overacts so much it is hard to figure out if there actually WAS a director on scene.

The portrayal of the cop "Don't move pal...don;t even breathe". Where the hell did he come from? He pulls a gun, jams it to MacLeod's neck and it? Again - beyond ridiculous wirting for a scene that is essentially a throwaway.

Have to love Sean Connerey's acting though. He brought it and I would not be surprised if he ignored the writing and the director at times while doing so.

But overall? An infantile film that had tremendous potential but was ill realized.

Makes me want to go watch my personal copy of one of the top 10 movies of all time - even if I have to sit through that keerap that Queen passed off for muzak...., :sumo:

Makes me want to go watch my personal copy of one of the top 10 movies of all time - even if I have to sit through that keerap that Queen passed off for muzak...., :sumo:

Awww - what cute :baiting: that was! Yes, you're a little cutie baiter. Oh yes you are!

Awww - what cute :baiting: that was! Yes, you're a little cutie baiter. Oh yes you are!

Don't want to incite anything, but honestly, one of the things that truly made that film great IMO, was the soundtrack. Who wants to live forever was just outstanding, both the song and score-- perfect for the film.

cutie baiter doesn't even register on google..., oh wait, San Francisco...., never mind...., ;)