• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highlander

35 posts in this topic

I was more a fan of the series, myself. It seemed to have more tolerable character storylines w/ flashbacks all over the historical gambit. Freddie's pipes rocked, indeed, though.

The spin off "raven" was hard to swallow, though. Sure, I like Elizabeth Gracen, but Peter Wingfield's character would have made a better series. Could you imagine some of the flashbacks from an immortal who was born before there were languages? In the end, they opted to go w/ sex appeal as opposed to depth of experiences. Understandable, but the writers F'ed it up, anyway.

I was more a fan of the series, myself. It seemed to have more tolerable character storylines w/ flashbacks all over the historical gambit. Freddie's pipes rocked, indeed, though.

The spin off "raven" was hard to swallow, though. Sure, I like Elizabeth Gracen, but Peter Wingfield's character would have made a better series. Could you imagine some of the flashbacks from an immortal who was born before there were languages? In the end, they opted to go w/ sex appeal as opposed to depth of experiences. Understandable, but the writers F'ed it up, anyway.

+1 on the series.

I thought the 1st movie was Ok, the rest were well... in a hat!

But I loved the series. Duncan, Amanda, Mythos, Joe and the Watchers. Great stuff.

I ended up passing out and waking up during the final battle scene... turned it off, grabbed the CD instead and went out. Yeah. This movie is about Queen.

I also did like the series tho... at least the first 2 seasons...

also cool when Connor showed up...

"same clan, different vintage"

Highlander frickin' rules. It is only a tiny bit less awesome than Roadhouse. Anyone that expects high art from a movie that is this bursting at the seams with awesomeness (that means you, POV) should be flogged with a wet noodle. Go get your high art somewhere else.

This movie is about immortals seeking to become gods by sucking the power out of their defeated and beheaded enemies. Can you really be surprised that there is a little bit of cheese factor?

For the longest time I thought the actor who played Kurgan (Clancy Brown?) really was 7 feet tall. Felt pretty stupid when I saw him in other movies and realized he's relatively normal-sized (6'3" and change, says IMDB).

The many faces of Clancy Brown...

bbViking.jpg

Bad Boys

clancy-brown-highlander1.jpg

Highlander

shawshank.jpg

Shawshank Redemption

997STS_Clancy_Brown_005.jpg

Starship Troopers

1clancy3_th.jpg

Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Superman, Superman/Batman...and several other animated DC projects. (Including Mr. Freeze in The Batman)

char_5017.jpg

Yup, he's Mister Sinister in Wolverine and The X-Men as well.

1186170878038_21882_0007.jpg_640_320.jpg

Carnivale

19-Inman-Releases-Sayid.jpg

And of course...LOST

The series was good and only looks slightly dated. Methos was a very cool supporting character and as someone else said, why they didn't give him a follow up series instead of airing the Highlander; The Raven , I don't know.

The film was excellent for it's time and while it looks dated and there are very corny parts in it, I still watch it once every few years.

Highlander would be a superb candidate for a remake with the same characters played by different actors. If it was done well, it could be brilliant. With modern film making techniques it would look far more slick than the original.

Highlander frickin' rules. It is only a tiny bit less awesome than Roadhouse. Anyone that expects high art from a movie that is this bursting at the seams with awesomeness (that means you, POV) should be flogged with a wet noodle. Go get your high art somewhere else.

This movie is about immortals seeking to become gods by sucking the power out of their defeated and beheaded enemies. Can you really be surprised that there is a little bit of cheese factor?

High art? Me???? I tend to loathe art films. I enjoy the classics such as Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-A-Rama, Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death, Flash Gordon (music by Queen!), Dead Alive etc etc etc.

I think HIGHLANDER took itself too seriously and in doing so really mucked things up. Were there some great scenes? Absolutley. But I'm not talking about cheese. I'm talking about enough really shoddy writing, acting and editing to put me off the movie. Just basic movie stuff.

I maintain the Brenda character (a major character) was portrayed in a very irritating, sometimes boring and almost always unsympathetic way.

My favorite scene? Near the beginning with the music synch of the wrestling fan rolling out her tongue. Always makes me grin.

I'm trying to watch the movie again now... God, this does NOT hold up...

I still enjoy the Highlander movie.

Seriously, does not hold up? The editing of that movie surprises me even after 50 viewings.

Repeated viewings of films from that era will always reveal special effects inadequacies - doesn't make the movie any worse, though. :)

Gotta agree on the editing. Lots of cool transitions between past and present. Stuff like when the camera pans down over the Scottish landscape and then keeps going down into a basement parking garage.

The scenes with Sean Connery were cool. The scene where he is in the crumbling tower and eventually gets beheaded on the staircase was freaky. I like the camaraderie between immortals who aren't "quickened" yet. They meet like old friends....just imagine if every time you ran into an old buddy you had to check first to make sure he wasn't going to chop your head off.

Clancy Brown is definitely the coolest person of all time with the name "Clancy." His scene in the hotel was a little too much like the Terminator hotel scene. But it showed how serious he was about his swordsmanship as he spent all his time alone practicing. That made him seem like a formidable opponent.

Povertyrow is going on about the love interest not being a good actress and not having credible reactions. Probably true... but she was relatively likeable anyway. Not nearly as hot as the original girlfriend in the grass.....that's for sure.

The overall story is pretty dumb. Why are these guys immortal? Why are they awaiting a "quickening" playoff series in which they are eliminated until there are only 2 left and they can have a swordfight superbowl and determine the winner? What, are the gods fans of really looooong-term sports? And then the prize is that the winner is no longer immortal and he gets to be omniscient and can communicate with world leaders? How is that a prize? More like a punishment.

Why is everything survivable but beheading? So if all your arms and legs were chopped off ala the Monty Python knight, you'd survive? Or if you're burned to a crisp or get pulled apart by Tyrannosaurs you're okay? But your spinal cord gets severed and that's all she wrote?

They need to remake Highlander and re-remake Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory but combine them into one movie. All the kids go around chopping off each other's heads and then the sole survivor gets to blast up the elevator and communicate with world leaders and Oompa Loompas.

They need to remake Highlander and re-remake Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory but combine them into one movie. All the kids go around chopping off each other's heads and then the sole survivor gets to blast up the elevator and communicate with world leaders and Oompa Loompas.

Omg. Yes, please.

Plus I want to see Gene Wilder and Sean Connery in a sword fight...