• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another bag/board question

57 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been asked. I did some searches, but couldn’t find anything related.

Is there any danger in placing books in bags not sized for them?

My collection is probably 80% Modern/BA and 20% SA. Do I really need to buy separate bags and boards for each? Or in other words, will placing Moderns in SA protection be a bad thing?

The deal is that I have been searching for Mylar sleeves for my SA, but the local shops do not have them. They have bags and boards for each size, but the Modern boards look questionable and I can see clear evidence of the danger of poor boards on some of my books.

The idea I have is just to buy enough SA size bags and boards for everything until I can order what I really need online. I need to so something fast because 3 of my 4 boxes of comics are just siting bare and are getting damaged.

What size Silver-Age bags do you have?

Comic Defense shrunk down to 7 1/4 wide from 7 1/2 wide a few years ago and the Marvel annuals get pinched some. frown.gif

I have not bought them yet and do not remember the actual size other than listed as Silver Age. My silvers are mostly Marvel Suspense/Astonish and DC Green Lanterns. There are a few others, but nothing that stands out in size.

They will eventually all end up in Mylar sleeves, but they are not locally available. The Moderns need to be bagged as well, but the boards they have for sale look just like the ones I bought from them a few years ago and they have yellow stains today.

The main reason for this is cost. I am broke right now and figure I would buy the higher quality SA supplies and throw all the comics in them until I can afford to do better. I can spend $20 for 200 SA bags and boards which will cover just about everything or I can spend $30 on 100 SA and 200 Modern(with crapy backs).

I buy the Silver/Golden Age Mylites2 with the half backs from E Gerber. These bags seem to fit everything I have (except for a few ECs). They may be a bit big for moderns, but I like the look of uniformity in the comic box... all bags and boards the same width. insane.gif

" I can spend $20 for 200 SA bags and boards which will cover just about everything or I can spend $30 on 100 SA and 200 Modern(with crapy backs)."

I can hook up a fellow forumite:

Bags unlimited:

200 SA sleeves = $13.50

200 SA boards = $21.20

total = $34.70 + shipping

100 SA backs= $10.60

200 Modern "New Comics. 6-11/16 x 10-3/8" = $20.10

total = $30.70 plus shipping

My deals - $25 and add media mail $2.50...

LMK which way you want to go

Is polyethylene better for books than polypropylene?

No. And no bags are "good" for comics beyond providing protection against water/bugs/handling damage, it's just that polyethylene/polypropylene release acid on their own about 100 years sooner than mylar/melinex.

Geez, these prices seem a bit high... confused-smiley-013.gif

My LCS sells 100 polyproylene bags (any size) for $4.50 and 100 boards (any size) for $7.50 + tax.

Is polyethylene better for books than polypropylene?

Just quoted the bags unlimited website...maybe your LCS rebags their yellowed stock? 27_laughing.gif

These bags are not for archival purposes - you want ultimate protection get it CGC slabbed - these are good for a few years and for delaers turning stock. Great for bringin to shows, storing for a couple years, - you don't want you Hulk 181 in these too long foreheadslap.gif

Just quoted the bags unlimited website...maybe your LCS rebags their yellowed stock? 27_laughing.gif

These bags are not for archival purposes - you want ultimate protection get it CGC slabbed - these are good for a few years and for delaers turning stock. Great for bringin to shows, storing for a couple years, - you don't want you Hulk 181 in these too long foreheadslap.gif

Heh, I am fairly certain that they do not rebag their old ones. However, the brand that they sell is pretty generic. It just comes packaged in a clear bag that says "Current Comic Bags" or "Silver Age Comic Bags". I have used their bags with no problems for a couple years now (six or seven years I believe). I can't bring myself to use mylar because it is so freaking expensive. foreheadslap.gif

Bags Unlimited hi.gif

Every size bag, board, box, or mylar you could want. Even found big ones for my Treasury sized books and Puck magazines. Prices include shipping, and no I don't work for them. I just like them. smile.gif

I like Bags Unlimited too for good cheap poly bags, but after a recent thread Bob Storms says he uses Jeff Hindes (sp?) for his mylars, which I am ordering now as I write this... (mylars or bust) thumbsup2.gif

Comic Defense shrunk down to 7 1/4 wide from 7 1/2 wide a few years ago and the Marvel annuals get pinched some. frown.gif

I really hate this, and I always buy Ultra Pro due to their pretty standard sizing. I recently ordered another 4X 100 bags/boards, and received the Ultra Pro bags, but some other brand of Silver Age boards had been "substituted".

And guess what, they are a good 0.5" smaller on the width than UP boards. I 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif HATE cheap manufacturers like this. 893frustrated.gif

I use E gerber for mylars. I usually go one size higher than the comics I want to bag. For moderns use Bronze, Bronze I use SA etc. I like having the corners well inside the backing board and this way insures it.

As far as poly vs Mylar, I like the conviencience of Mylar in regards to not having to replace them if I want to keep my collection in good order. Mylar takes out the bag as being a potential ager of comics. 2ml with half backs is a good bang for the buck. The 2ml is quite a bit stiffer on its own so if the books are not handled alot, the half-backs provide good protection.

Bags unlimited:

200 SA sleeves = $13.50

200 SA boards = $21.20

Man... I should seriously consider selling bags online... foreheadslap.gif

I sell mine in the shop at $2.89 per hundred and I am making a tidy profit at that...

It's harder to make money on boards because of the shipping charge, but I sell those in the shop for $6.25 per hundred...

And Darth, you're not serious about sending those via media mail are you? 893naughty-thumb.gif

Bags unlimited:

200 SA sleeves = $13.50

200 SA boards = $21.20

Man... I should seriously consider selling bags online... foreheadslap.gif

I sell mine in the shop at $2.89 per hundred and I am making a tidy profit at that...

It's harder to make money on boards because of the shipping charge, but I sell those in the shop for $6.25 per hundred...

And Darth, you're not serious about sending those via media mail are you? 893naughty-thumb.gif

blush.gif