• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man ---- No More!

61 posts in this topic

Well, after collecting the Amazing Spider-Man consecutively since the Feb. 1976 issue, I have officially given the title up. I completed the entire run back in 1993 with the purchase of Amazing Fantasy #15 and have been a faithful collector up to issue #600. But it's time to finally let it go.

I long ago gave up on the story and only collected to keep the run going. But with the advent of the "three issues a month", plus variants, I have just lost interest in keeping up on the title. Alas, you might say I gave up.

I'll still pick up bronze age back issues, as that is my love, but just can't see me going back.

I think writing this post has helped me come to some kind of closure on it. Curious to hear from others on long time titles they gave up on and if they ever went back.

I started again with the Back In Black story after a hiatus beginning in about 1994. I have enjoyed BND and the 3 books a month - it really helped to keep a story going in a semi-linear progression with just one subscription.

Now they are going digital and spreading the story among many title again so I will probably drop out after my sub ends this year.

Hulk has been an utter disaster. I bought a sub for Incredible Hulk and it "automatically" changed to the Hulk book when the decided to "f" with the titles...what a friggin joke...

Well, after collecting the Amazing Spider-Man consecutively since the Feb. 1976 issue, I have officially given the title up. I completed the entire run back in 1993 with the purchase of Amazing Fantasy #15 and have been a faithful collector up to issue #600. But it's time to finally let it go.

I long ago gave up on the story and only collected to keep the run going. But with the advent of the "three issues a month", plus variants, I have just lost interest in keeping up on the title. Alas, you might say I gave up.

I'll still pick up bronze age back issues, as that is my love, but just can't see me going back.

I think writing this post has helped me come to some kind of closure on it. Curious to hear from others on long time titles they gave up on and if they ever went back.

I too had collected from af15 to the 500's the BNB story line was so far fetched and the art started to be just unbearable that I gave up the character that ment to much to me as a collector. The only recent issues that I picked up were the Green Goblin issues, other then that I have stayed away.

RIP Amazing Spider-Man BND

WEBHEAD

I just picked the title up again after a long hiatus. I've been on board for the last 12 issues and enjoy multiple issues per month. The only thing I don't like is the fluctuation of how attractive Peter's roomie Michelle is, in some issues she's gorgeous and in others she's just horrid looking.

I also am now going backwards to fill my runs. I haven't made much headway in about a month or so, but my next run will be in the 400-500 range and I'm fairly certain those are super cheap to pick up.

I would stop at #328 and sell the rest.

Just like most modern books, it's better to just buy the trades.

In short buy Modern Trades and collect from 1939-1985.

I agreed with you on this one and I will even applied to my favorite book the X-men and others....I do occasionally flip thru the books whenever I happened to be in a LCS over the past 10 years to browse and I haven't find a reason to start buying fresh new copies either. I am sure I will get a lot of flack for this but I called the last decade the "forgettable age" not modern age.

For some people, the variant and all that stuff are all fun and cool but the days that X-Men 1 with Jim Lee came out with multiple covers were the beginning of the end for me years ago.

For Spidey, I actually started to loose interest shortly after 328, pretty much burnt out with Venom.

I might be wacko but I do like the old paper and the smell of the pre 90's books. The newer book with the fancier paper just don't do it for me for some reasons....perhaps because they aren't easily damaged and half of the fun for me in collecting was the awe in seeing how something can retain such beauty for decades in such crappy papers and print quality.

Just like most modern books, it's better to just buy the trades.

Some people still like holding comics in their hands.

:shy:

Actually I think some of the Hardcovers are better than collecting each issue by itself.

So do I collect..... :ohnoez:

1. Each issue at $3.99

or

2. Wait till the arc is over (find out if it blows or not) and buy the nice Hard Cover Trade.

Judges....

#2. Is correct. ^^

:shy: You can still hold the soft cover or hard cover in your hands Roy.

Good for you! Great decision

I like the the current spiderman. I actually believe it is one of the better marvel super hero moderns. I really like the fact that I don't have to wait too long for the next issue and I find I am already looking forward to the next issue once I have the last one down which for me is a good sign.

With regards Comics vs Tpb. I enjoy both, but if I had a coice I would always go for the individual books other the Tpb and I really can't see that changing, I tend to only buy the Tpbs when I have missed the boat like with the Walking Dead.

As we get older, our tastes change. The art isn't the only reason we buy the books. We need a good storyline, but we want a good storyline with familiar characters.

I have given up on the X-Men on more than one occassion, but I always seem to find my way back. Will there ever be another storyline that flipped my switch like the Brood storyline in 162 through 167? I doubt it, but that doesn't keep me from hoping and occasionally checking.

There have been a few interesting reads lately. I liked the Messiah Comlpex, but how many times can someone escape to the future?

I hear you, I'm about at my end with the Hulk series. My plan is to stop when I get to a 1000 issues. The combination of bad writing and the endless variants (that they keep on putting out). It isn't much further to go. Then I'll just focus on getting better issues of what I currently have. Or maybe focus on collecting another character.

As we get older, our tastes change. The art isn't the only reason we buy the books. We need a good storyline, but we want a good storyline with familiar characters.

I have given up on the X-Men on more than one occassion, but I always seem to find my way back. Will there ever be another storyline that flipped my switch like the Brood storyline in 162 through 167? I doubt it, but that doesn't keep me from hoping and occasionally checking.

There have been a few interesting reads lately. I liked the Messiah Comlpex, but how many times can someone escape to the future?

the Brood storyline is very good and I rank it in the top 4 for the X-men for me...ok back to Spidey ;)

I think it is a mistake to stop at #328, Personally there are some extremely rare ASM comics from 401 to 500. These will one day be extremely hard to find, and if you ever want to get those issues back it's not going to easy.

I know, but just because they are rare doesn't mean people will have an urge to buy them.

Spider-man has not had a major ground breaking issue after #328 except the 9-11 issue.

The rest have been utter fillers.

I like the the current spiderman. I actually believe it is one of the better marvel super hero moderns. I really like the fact that I don't have to wait too long for the next issue and I find I am already looking forward to the next issue once I have the last one down which for me is a good sign.

With regards Comics vs Tpb. I enjoy both, but if I had a coice I would always go for the individual books other the Tpb and I really can't see that changing, I tend to only buy the Tpbs when I have missed the boat like with the Walking Dead.

I am just going away from paying $2.99 and $3.99 per book and having it sit in a bag and board for years where is not going to go up in value (Most Moderns) as where I am enjoying see other collectors have book shelf's of Hard Covers Trades on display.

I just like Trades better on the newer stuff, especially the hardcovers.

When I buy just the trade I feel like a kid again and not a greedy collector.

Do you guys blame anybody in-particular for Spiderman not being the same? or do you think it just ran it's course?

Man, that is an excellent question.

For me, it just lost it's magic. I can't say anyone in particular is to blame. The last story I felt that actually had that old Spider-Man feel was the issue he beat up Firelord. Of course I was only 19 back then.