• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15

74 posts in this topic

What's the cost of grading versus the potential improvement in sale price at auction?

What is the likelihood of receiving a 4.0 next time? I think it go either way.

Could a good press eliminate some of the creases and bump the grade?

The book was pressed when I first resubmitted it - sent to Matt Nelson and then to CGC.

He must have erased the $15.00 price in pencil on the back cover.

Maybe I should run the graders notes by Matt?

I actually liked the "15.00" on the back cover! Like a time machine back before SA books were selling for over a MILLION dollars!!! :ohnoez:

Wonder what year it was when THAT book was selling for just 15 beans?!?

Grader #1: 4.0

Grader #2: 4.0

Grader #3: 3.5

Finalizer: 3.5 :flamed:

(shrug)

I thought the finalizer was the third grader according to CGC's description of practice in Overstreet?

(shrug)

I thought the finalizer was the third grader according to CGC's description of practice in Overstreet?

That's what I thought too.. 2 pre-graders and 1 finalizer

(shrug)

That's what I thought too.. 2 pre-graders and 1 finalizer

Every time ive ever called for my notes, theyve either said "all THREE graders gave it a ???" or" 2 graders gave it a ??? and 1 gave it a ???". Ive always been told a total of 3 grades not four when ive called for notes (shrug)

I actually liked the "15.00" on the back cover! Like a time machine back before SA books were selling for over a MILLION dollars!!! :ohnoez:

I did too. Wish he'd left it :P

Regarding the number of graders. Perhaps I misunderstood the rep I spoke to and the third was the finalizers opinion as well (shrug)

. . . but then that makes it 2 to 1 in favor of the 4.0 grade designation ???

What's the cost of grading versus the potential improvement in sale price at auction?

The book was pressed when I first resubmitted it - sent to Matt Nelson and then to CGC.

That's a good idea!

Sorry for the stupid question but why it was not detected as restoration by CGC ?

That's a good idea!

Sorry for the stupid question but why it was not detected as restoration by CGC ?

Not an exert on this. but my understanding is that a minor erasure, i.e. cleaning like this is not considered restoration.

Matt removed some pencil writing on another book I once owned and it got a "blue" as well.

Mind you, we're talking about a spot cleaning not the whole book.

That's a good idea!

Not an exert on this. but my understanding is that a minor erasure, i.e. cleaning like this is not considered restoration.

Matt removed some pencil writing on another book I once owned and it got a "blue" as well.

Did you ask Matt to do the dry erasure on this book?

That's a good idea!

Not that I can recall. I didn't get to pull the book out last night. Maybe I should hold comment about the price written in pencil on the back,

until I make certain it's indeed no longer on the book. I recently mixed up a back cover scan on another book and it could've happen here :eek:

That's a good idea!

Not that I can recall. I didn't get to pull the book out last night. Maybe I should hold comment about the price written in pencil on the back,

until I make certain it's indeed no longer on the book. I recently mixed up a back cover scan on another book and it could've happen here :eek:

That's the same back cover.

The stresses all line up,and "The dot" next to the bottom left red word "Wallace" is still there,but lighter also....

i think the smear they speak of is the appearance of perhaps an absence of imprinted cover ink caused by handling i.e sweat or oils from fingers. Not a bic pen exploded and ink was wiped off smear. Note that the black color of the overhang of the building should be black and continuous, compare it to another book side by side, you'll see the "smear" like night and day

Thanks. I've been thnking about this whole thread that I started and,

I'm starting to feel that maybe what I have here is just a nice 3.5

and I should just be happy with that.

Sorry I took you all down this path again, didn't mean to waste your time,

I guess I needed to be hit over the head by the fact that some books look

better than others, but still technically don't entitle it to a grade bump.

:makepoint:

Got it!