• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BoP #8 - Is it widely recognised as a Key issue?

42 posts in this topic

There was a coversation in the WTB forum about Birds Of Prey being a key issue, which I argued it isn't.

What I would like to know is; if it is regarded as a key issue, why is it? Nobody has been able to explain it so far.

There was a coversation in the WTB forum about Birds Of Prey being a key issue, which I argued it isn't.

What I would like to know is; if it is regarded as a key issue, why is it? Nobody has been able to explain it so far.

This may explain a little bit more why this is a "prized issue", although it

does not IMHO make it a "key"

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Birds_of_Prey_Vol_1_8

YES a Key to me!

its the infamous issue where nightwing take oracle on a date and he takes her to his circus and lets her fly on the trapeeze. it helped her feel like she can fly again. They also kissed. its a musthave issue for nightwing + Oracle fanboys.

Also i believe its a very low print run and the cover is iconic as well.

I wouldnt really call it a key by the normal "definition".

If you read the issue along with the epilogue issue Nightwing Annual 2 it is a great throwback romance/crush story.

It is pretty hard to find in general and in high grade is even tougher.

Most of my buyers dont slab the book. They buy it to read. At least thats what the last 2 buyers have told me.

There is quite a demand for this book in any grade.

and Barbara do the wild thing (shrug)

Not every key issue has to be a 1st apperance or "Death". Sometimes just being a great story should suffice. In the past, it was the classic story that made a book highly desirable. This issue is 10 years old now and has proven to be a desireable comic for its story. And for that reason alone it's deserves to be a key issue.

It's "key" becase Wizard made it so.

In this case, Wiztard pimped the HELL out of it, and so faboys HAD to have it..and they drove up prices.

It's no rarer than #7 or #9, and may in fact be more common in high grade than surrounding issues because people saved them early on....

But it's definitely a "manufactured" key, as opposed to a traditional key.

Not every key issue has to be a 1st apperance or "Death". Sometimes just being a great story should suffice. In the past, it was the classic story that made a book highly desirable. This issue is 10 years old now and has proven to be a desireable comic for its story. And for that reason alone it's deserves to be a key issue.

I can agree with that nicely put.

Its the story that drives alot on this book its very good rare these days.

I can agree with that nicely put.

Its the story that drives alot on this book its very good rare these days.

+1

to me, something big needs to happin for it to be a key, not only a 1st app. or origin, but something big. i cant think of a few off the top of my head, ASM Vol 2 #36, bats 227. a date does not make something a key in my opinion

Umm...Batman 227 is not key for any reason other than the cover--it's actually a sub-par story and I _hate_ that it and # 237 (1st Reaper) have been elevated to key status when 232, 234 and Detective 400 are _actual_ deserving keys..

Because of the story and its sustained popularity (and value) over the past decade, Birds of Prey 8 is definitely one of the keys from the early 2000s, and certainly deserves to be more key than its contemporary "key" books like Hulk 8 (Wolverine/Hulk battle), or even Deadpool 54-55 (vs. Punisher).

In terms of its importance in the Batman mythos, it's one of the more important (and fun) books of the past 15 years as well.

Make no mistake about it: Birds of Prey #8 is a "key" book solely because the geniuses at Wizard decided to pimp it. 1999 was a BAD year for comics, and there really wasn't a whole lot going on. Nightwing appears in dozens of other books, with similar (or lower) print runs.

Listen, if I had a national magazine platform like Wizard, I could make any book I want become "a key", too...all I would need is a reasonable justification, and I'm smart enough to do it.

The reason it SUSTAINED it's value and popularity is because of the ridiculously low print run. If it was a 1993 book, no one would give two rusty rat's tails about it.

#7, #9, #6, #5, #10...all have similar printruns, yet they sell for nothing.

And if someone is going to come along and say "it's key because it's a great story"....

Well, I got news for ya: every issue of Sandman, Preacher, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, and Grant Morrison's Animal Man is a BETTER story than BOP #8, but you don't see those books selling for a comparable amount relative to print run except their respective (real) keys.

Make no mistake about it: Birds of Prey #8 is a "key" book solely because the geniuses at Wizard decided to pimp it. 1999 was a BAD year for comics, and there really wasn't a whole lot going on. Nightwing appears in dozens of other books, with similar (or lower) print runs.

Listen, if I had a national magazine platform like Wizard, I could make any book I want become "a key", too...all I would need is a reasonable justification, and I'm smart enough to do it.

The reason it SUSTAINED it's value and popularity is because of the ridiculously low print run. If it was a 1993 book, no one would give two rusty rat's tails about it.

#7, #9, #6, #5, #10...all have similar printruns, yet they sell for nothing.

And if someone is going to come along and say "it's key because it's a great story"....

Well, I got news for ya: every issue of Sandman, Preacher, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, and Grant Morrison's Animal Man is a BETTER story than BOP #8, but you don't see those books selling for a comparable amount relative to print run except their respective (real) keys.

:applause: