• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the differences between the MU and the DCU?

35 posts in this topic

This may have been started elsewhere, and if so I apologize, but I was curious what people saw as being some of the differences between the Marvel Universe and the DCU.

Well the most obvious difference to me was Marvels use of real cities, while DC uses fake ones. I always liked the fact that Doc Stange and Daredevil were rolling around NY. Don't get me wrong Gotham is cool, but I always liked my superheroes crossing over into the real world in this small way.

The difference between the DC universe and the Marvel universe is that one is imaginary and the other is real. The DC universe is grounded in mythical localities and therefor more difficult for the reader to relate. Plus, Marvel never really delved into the "camp" story lines that dominated DC titles in the 1960s. That, coupled with the fact that DC has published more asinine characters than Marvel and you have your answer.

This may have been started elsewhere, and if so I apologize, but I was curious what people saw as being some of the differences between the Marvel Universe and the DCU.

The difference is that DC has the balls to revamp/reboot their entire universe. This is what Marvel needs to do, instead of creating "What If?" universes like the Ultimates and using "it's magic" storylines.

And Bendis doesn't work for DC (thank god).

The DC universe is grounded in mythical localities and therefor more difficult for the reader to relate.

I can relate to Gotham and Metropolis as much as NY. They're all mythical to me.

The difference is that DC has the balls to revamp/reboot their entire universe. This is what Marvel needs to do, instead of creating "What If?" universes like the Ultimates and using "it's magic" storylines.

Yeah, you just have Grant Morrison making Batman so great.

Pat

DC characters were mainly born in an era between wars that devestated the world, when people needed to feel safe and free from harm. Along came these characters who, with the exception of possibly Batman, were gods. They never failed, always had things wrapped up and back to normalcy by the end of the issue, and you KNEW they weren't anything like you.

(Most) Marvel characters were born in an era of free love, when people had lost faith in their governments, were rebellious and experimental. Along came characters who bucked authority, had the same problems that we had (public image, paying rent, family strife). These characters WERE us, just with powers.

The reason why DC generally can't connect with new readers is the fact that their characters are born of an era too far removed from the youth of today. It's no coincidence that the most sucessful modern DC stories have a Marvel-esque edge to them.

Someone once said-

The DC Universe is about heroes trying to be human.

The Marvel Universe is about humans trying to be heroes.

Oh, thats good.

Someone once said-

Oh, thats good.

Doesn't really mean that much after a moment's scrutiny, though. :preach:

Marvel tried this and it sucked donkey . The fans revolted and things were put right again.

I like about 5% of the characters in DC and about 50% of the Marvel characters.

Both publishers have their turds...

Someone once said-

Oh, thats good.

Doesn't really mean that much after a moment's scrutiny, though. :preach:

Same circus, different clowns? :shrug:

For me, DC has always had better "jump on" points... Marvel has 40 years of history you need to know before you can figure out the whys and wherefores of each character's motivation...

With DC, most of the main heroes tend to be archetypes. with Marvel, the main heroes tend to be muddled and entangled in the same everyday problems that face the average citizen.

DC is what we strive to be, Marvel is where we're doomed to be...

DC has always been more willing to break the mold, publish stories that weren't all capes and explosions... Marvel tends to a more conservative approach, trying to keep a more cohesive universe, I think...

Someone once said-

This too (thumbs u