• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insane!

161 posts in this topic

ALWAYS A RIP-OFF? mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Allow me to defend Rob here. One time I ordered a really nice, tough-to-find, solid VG copy of a horror book from him. Unfortunately it was a one-staple book, and as happens sometimes, the centerfold was missing. Politely I asked if I could return it. Politely, I was given a sincere apology, told to not only keep the book, but then have a credit for the purchase price of that book to use on his future auctions, which I did happily do.

Not to mention that he was very helpful to me, when starting out, about what to look for in a restored book. Much more helpful than many other established dealers were.

If you have some big problem with his pricing - get over it. Don't buy the book. Or is there a gun to your head somewhere in his listing I'm missing telling you it's RARE and THE ONLY ONE and YOU HAVE TO HAVE TO GET IT?

I don't think this particular book is worth what he's asking, though I have yet to see the dealer's inventory where I like everything they have, everything appeals to me without fail, and everything is priced at half of what I'm willing to pay, on top of which they're offering me a discount.

The book is FAR overpriced. 9.8 or not. And where he comes up with this "Monteray" pedigree is beyond me, since no pedigree is noted on the CGC label.

He has a couple of others up for sale too. For this one, I wouldn't go more than $60.00.

I wonder if there is a certificate of documentation for the "Monterey" pedigree. CGC doesn't recognize it obviously, so maybe it's one of those fly by night pedigrees. I think the seller is banking on the 9.8 combined with the mention of pedigree to make his sale for him. He knows how many suckers out there will pay mutiple premiums once they see "Pedigree".

I'm rethinking the possibility of hyping all December sales with the "Ultimate Darthdiesel" pedigree...

Dan, I suggest, you start peddling all of your books with the "Flying Donut" pedigree as well wink.gif

We can all generate some seni-interesting comic urban legend to go along with the sale. Every forum member can get into it and sell their own pedigrees and confuse the out of everyone out there, at the same time generating big bucks simply from calling our wares "pedigreed"...

Time to hijack this thread...sorry Dan. Forum members, If you had a pedigree, what would you call it?

Greggy = Kanuckian Production Creased pedigree

Rickdogg = Crimedoggs r' us pedigree

Gene = "Slapping my name on it won't hold up the impending crash" pedigree

CI = "Canadian Postal Workers - Keep your Hands off" pedigree

Scottish = "the Scottish Smokehouse" Pedigree

Hey if you are happy with him that's great. I've seen nothing but ripoff prices from him on CGC books. You're right I should'nt bid if I think his prices are too expensive. I DON'T! Willing to defend this case as well? I never said that he's a bad person, just a ripoff like the fredkargers on ebay.

I was just stating my opinion, sorry if it offends you. There is no slander in my comments. It's the fuc$in truth.

Rob Hughes & Bill Hughes (now w/ J Parrino the Mint) are both promoting the Monterey collection. The Hughes (not related by blood) used to both run Executive Collecibles auction out of Long Beach, CA. None of Rob's bks or art will be 1/2 price. Will be full mkt value. Would not say they r rip off prices.

How does one get CGC to acknowledge a pedigree? Who makes the decision that a collection is a pedigree?

As for rip-off or not, if someone pays that price, then good for them, they got what they wanted at a price they wanted. No one forces anyone to pay it. But there's no way I would pay that price for that book.

CosmicBob I've been trying to get an answer to that question about pedigrees for years. I've got a collection that I'm sure is one and I've yet to find someone that offically says it is a pedigree. So if you find out who this person is be sure to point him out to me. I had one comic store owner tell me to sell him the books and he'd sell them as pedigree, but I don't think that is how it works. Shouldn't there be some official involved? If not then any comic collection could be a pedigree.

As for the Superboy comic. I'd probably pass on it, but I've seen other issues in that number range sell for just as much.

To my understanding, that's exactly how it's always worked. You sell books as the "smecky de bobo" collection. If through the selling of the books the "market" "decides" it's a pedigree, then- voila! It's a pedigree. Getting it on the label means convincing CGC that the previous worked and the "market" accepts it as a pedigree.