• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The worst creators ever.

172 posts in this topic

Frank Robbins was the worst I've ever seen. Nothing else compares except for Golden Age stuff that was drawn by teen-agers for pennies. It was hard to believe he was a professional. He drew character's limbs in positions that the human body could only attain after being broken from a fall off the top of a 50 story building.

I could have drawn better than him and I've never been able to draw at all.

I hated Don Heck too. Whenever there was an impact or something powerful happened (which Kirby would represent with his seething masses of dots), Heck would draw these pissant fruity diamonds. It was also odd how all his characters seemed vaguely Asian.

Spider-Man143.jpg

Thread back open lol

no kidding. pointy muscles, no proportions are correct. Ramos makes Liefeld look like Neal Adams.

it's not even the anatomy or proportions that bother me on this one, it's the composition.

wtf is going on in this thing? an narrow section of the Brooklyn Bridge with a miniscule figure of Gwen Stacy falling, a smoke trail that weaves its way through the image, a stylised Peter Parker (?) running in air and a stiff Goblin figure, all jumbled together and muddy.

:vomit:

This cover has no redeeming qualities.

I blame this sort of thing on the editorial/management that was in place. 'Horses for courses' is the expression that should have ruled the day here. You didn't see Shooter putting Frank Miller on Power Pack....

This stylistic manga is just wrong on Spider-Man. :sick:

Wasn't everything from the 90's ?

Sandman wasn't . :sumo:

I've always found it to be over-rated myself.

Nope. Sandman rates juuuuuuust right.

It sent me to sleep.

Someone made a funny.

I always thought Bagley was a poor artist who benefitted from the higher production values (glossy paper stock, computer coloring etc.) that were around from the 90s onwards. His work would've looked pretty grim if he'd been working in the '70s.

I'd add Saviuk, Tuska, Robbins (even though his earlier attempts to ape Caniff were passable), Liefeld, Liefeld and Liefeld. Not mention his contemporaries Valentino and Lim. John Romita Jr. could be excellent but also really quite bad. Also John Byrne, who was great to begin with (didn't hurt that he was inked by Terry Austin) but eventually completely lost his edge.

Don Heck's '60s work at Marvel was as we all know very bland, but his '50s pre-code efforts showed he could be good.

I like Bagley. I know we've debated his art before. I don't see him being a star, but I'm amazed how his style seems to polarize opinions. It's very clean and basic, the story gets told, and the foreground/background distinction is clear. What warrants his mention in a 'worst creator ever' thread?

Agree with the rest of your post.

The fading of Byrne, my 80s favorite.... :cry:

Vince Colletta should get more mention. He was known for erasing backgrounds if they were too much work. lol

You know wahat I have noticed about this thread I don't believe I saw a professional comic artist or fine artist comment in this thread.

SO I have one phrase for everybody who bashed all these great artist and writers.

Go do a better job

banana.gif

Spider-Man143.jpg

Thread back open lol

no kidding. pointy muscles, no proportions are correct. Ramos makes Liefeld look like Neal Adams.

it's not even the anatomy or proportions that bother me on this one, it's the composition.

wtf is going on in this thing? an narrow section of the Brooklyn Bridge with a miniscule figure of Gwen Stacy falling, a smoke trail that weaves its way through the image, a stylised Peter Parker (?) running in air and a stiff Goblin figure, all jumbled together and muddy.

:vomit:

This cover has no redeeming qualities.

I blame this sort of thing on the editorial/management that was in place. 'Horses for courses' is the expression that should have ruled the day here. You didn't see Shooter putting Frank Miller on Power Pack....

This stylistic manga is just wrong on Spider-Man. :sick:

I was going to mention that this looks like ''manga'' only WORSE! lol

Lots of hate here for Loeb, and while I agree on many things he has written he has also done some incredibly good work like Batman: the long Halloween. Definitely worth reading if you haven't.

I also really liked Daredevil: Yellow