• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A grail on Tuesday: For sale on Friday

97 posts in this topic

I keep the books that are the core of my collection. Several of my Golden Age Actions have been in my collection for many years. It's when I stray beyond my focus that I find myself not holding onto books. I have a little extra money and there are no nice Actions available, so I pick up a nice Fawcett. A month later a great Action comes along, I need $$, so I sell the Fawcett, usually for the same price that I paid for it.

I used to buy books to flip, but it's rare for me to do that these days. Meaning I don't seek bargains out, but if one falls in my lap, I'll buy it. Heck, I'm even thinking of getting rid of my website, as most of my selling these days is either here or on CL.

I feel most (not all) GA collectors do hold onto their books longer and are interested in building a collection, like Jeff, Mr. Bedrock, Jon Berk, myself, a whole list of other collectors, etc.

It's mostly in the SA where you see alot of churning, maybe it's because there is so much SA material out there, that people are leap frogging from book to book and need to sell the one they just bought to fund a new one.

Not saying that GA collectors don't ever sell, but you don't see the kind of turnover you do in the SA/BA unless of course it's Gator buying the books. :grin:

but even that is a good thing as it gives other collectors who want to own certain GA books the chance to get it. Gator just has better connections and is able to find them for us.

I am good with being the middle man lol

I keep the books that are the core of my collection. Several of my Golden Age Actions have been in my collection for many years. It's when I stray beyond my focus that I find myself not holding onto books. I have a little extra money and there are no nice Actions available, so I pick up a nice Fawcett. A month later a great Action comes along, I need $$, so I sell the Fawcett, usually for the same price that I paid for it.

I used to buy books to flip, but it's rare for me to do that these days. Meaning I don't seek bargains out, but if one falls in my lap, I'll buy it. Heck, I'm even thinking of getting rid of my website, as most of my selling these days is either here or on CL.

I feel most (not all) GA collectors do hold onto their books longer and are interested in building a collection, like Jeff, Mr. Bedrock, Jon Berk, myself, a whole list of other collectors, etc.

It's mostly in the SA where you see alot of churning, maybe it's because there is so much SA material out there, that people are leap frogging from book to book and need to sell the one they just bought to fund a new one.

Not saying that GA collectors don't ever sell, but you don't see the kind of turnover you do in the SA/BA unless of course it's Gator buying the books. :grin:

but even that is a good thing as it gives other collectors who want to own certain GA books the chance to get it. Gator just has better connections and is able to find them for us.

I am good with being the middle man lol

Find me some high grade Schomburg Nedors on the cheap Middle Man. :baiting:

If anything it's because GA prices have been pretty steady for a while now, so there is no incentive to sell, SA prices on the other hand continue to climb, so you but a book for $XXX the next thing you know same book is selling for double what you paid on Clink, so you would feel like a fool not to sell and take advantage.

I've got a few GA books that have "doubled" in price, and I'm not selling them, so count me as a fool.

Come on.....I know you'll be selling that crappy "Detective Picture Stories" soon so you can buy an old Action or Superman!!!! Guaranteed!!!!! We're just biding our time... :whistle:

I only buy what I like but I have been tempted to snatch up some comics I already own because of a really good deal. I didn't do it though. I got money tied up in non-comic book investments still waiting on a return, and I'm considering a new hobby that will soak up the bulk of my spare change.

"Is this segment of the hobby (higher grade, higher end) really just a network of dealers, passing books around? "

Great question, I believe the above is a LOUD YES!!!

Dibs on the Funny Pages! :wishluck:

There are some folks who are mostly Hold 'em collectors but who, in the face of escalating prices, need to sell in order to be able to focus on the areas of their collection that are the most important to them.

I can't imagine selling my comic books. What goes into my collection stays in my collection.

Check my history here, or via ebay. Not a single comic I bought (but once or twice..) I have sold. :)

So many great ASM's I had wanted, and found because of these guys here.

:cloud9:

I can't imagine selling my comic books. What goes into my collection stays in my collection.

Check my history here, or via ebay. Not a single comic I bought (but once or twice..) I have sold. :)

So many great ASM's I had wanted, and found because of these guys here.

:cloud9:

:sick:

I don't think I've sold a single book I've bought here. I've occasionally tried to flip moderns on ebay to fund bigger purchases, but I couldn't see myself dumping any of my 'real' collection unless/until I start upgrading stuff (though I'm the type of collector that would rather have ASM 1-100 in low/mid grade than 3 of the same in high).

If anything it's because GA prices have been pretty steady for a while now, so there is no incentive to sell, SA prices on the other hand continue to climb, so you but a book for $XXX the next thing you know same book is selling for double what you paid on Clink, so you would feel like a fool not to sell and take advantage.

I've got a few GA books that have "doubled" in price, and I'm not selling them, so count me as a fool.

Ditto...I bought Nedors years ago that I could turn and double (or more) my money on, but they ain't going anywhere right now. I bought a Superman # 14 8.0 in March (the depth of the downturn) for about 40% of what I could sell it for now. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and sell the book, but then I think, "will I ever find another that won't cost me an arm and a leg?" The answer is a lot closer to "no" then 99% of the SA/BA books out there. I never have to worry about whether a SA or BA book is replaceable, because with the exception of a rare few, they all are and quite readily available.

I agree with Alton, the constant churn and turnover that is the subject of this thread is a lot more prevelant in SA and BA...heck, I happily buy and sell both those ages just so I can afford some quality Golden Age. (thumbs u

that's twice today that George has agreed with me! I'm somebody now! :banana:

When I started back collecting a few years ago, I had one focus, to finish my Flash run. Which I quickly completed thanks to all the online sites.

After that, I was all over the place trying to find where I wanted to take my collection. This year alone, I've changed thoughts again. Some of the comics I purchased in the last few years are keepers, but some I bought on a whim and have sold or will be selling soon.

I think with my current interests, I'll mostly be buying keepers . . . Golden Age and OA.

Of course you can still make money with GA books. :makepoint:

But lets face it, for the last year it’s the SA, BA and yes even CA books that have been making the headlines, not GA.

Ditto...I bought Nedors years ago that I could turn and double (or more) my money on, but they ain't going anywhere right now. I bought a Superman # 14 8.0 in March (the depth of the downturn) for about 40% of what I could sell it for now. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and sell the book, but then I think, "will I ever find another that won't cost me an arm and a leg?" The answer is a lot closer to "no" then 99% of the SA/BA books out there. I never have to worry about whether a SA or BA book is replaceable, because with the exception of a rare few, they all are and quite readily available.

I agree with Alton, the constant churn and turnover that is the subject of this thread is a lot more prevelant in SA and BA...heck, I happily buy and sell both those ages just so I can afford some quality Golden Age. (thumbs u

that's twice today that George has agreed with me! I'm somebody now! :banana:

hold your horses there, nelly... this is george we are talking about :baiting:

back to obsurity for you, mister lol

(I won't change topics this time ;))

As if any of you haven't noticed, Brian (Foolkiller) just had a tremendous holiday sales thread, where he was offering great books at low, low prices. As I was watching the sparks fly, I couldn't help but wonder if people were going ape- simply because they wanted to score great books that they actually wanted for their collections, or if they were simply "re-stocking".

I sincerely hope that most of these books ended up with collectors who plan to keep them. I believe that was the intent of Brian's sale. Unfortunately, the sale turned into a flurry between those with the fastest internet speed...., and hopefully most were not pure flippers.

IMO, there can only be one "grail". The rest are non-grails.

For sure, the number one grail for almost all of us, is Action #1. But yet, I suspect that some of the owners of the primo collections here on these boards, would not trade their entire collection for the highest graded Action #1.

Is there anyone here that would not make that trade (besides you guys that have small or mid-grade collections)?

I would not trade my collection for an Action 1. I enjoy my books, like looking at the covers, even the torn ones. I don't have a specific grail...never really did. I wouldn't enjoy owning just an Action 1, I'd be afraid to leave it in my house.

I'm honestly troubled sometimes by the buy my grail on Monday, flip it on Friday threads...but if you look carefully, it's really only a few people. I'm not troubled by the flipping, but because I think people are getting over their heads and yes, I think it's the same as the housing market mess.

I've had comics since I was a kid, but I started seriously collecting about 10 years ago, and I would buy lots on Ebay, keep the ones I wanted and sell the rest (mostly doubles or titles I was not into) to pay for what I was keeping. I never let myself borrow anything to buy them, either I had the money put aside, or I sold things...the problem was, I started collecting more and more titles...and then I got into GA books...and there were so many... especially since I found this place, lol...

My original goal was to keep one laundry basket of books...I now have 2 rooms with books in them which is fine, but when I have guests who are not comic collectors, it kind of crowds them...so, reluctantly, I'm going to sell the SA ones...once I look at them all again, and decide...My goal is to get the books neatly into one room, lol. Slowly...but I will be selling on Ebay again (and here, first). First, I'm on a rebagging project (thanks, Hotflips (thumbs u) so it's going to be very slow... I would like to have a slightly more managable collection, but I'm in no big rush.