• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MC1 Pay Copy in Heritage February Auction...again...

82 posts in this topic

The perpetual downward spiral of this book deserves a thread of its own.

In 2006 the book would have cost me 366 oz of gold.

In 2007 the book would have cost me 305 oz of gold.

As of right now, if the book sells for $200,000 it will only cost me 177 oz of gold. (shrug)

It needs to be buried in a collection for 10 years. Everyone that could possibly want this book has already had five chances to buy it over the past few years. It needs a timeout.

the spiraling would stop if i had the dough. would go pretty good with the ss 1 pay copy.

Very simple solution. Gator against you in a football game. Loser buys the book. Problem solved.

:insane:

It needs to be buried in a collection for 10 years. Everyone that could possibly want this book has already had five chances to buy it over the past few years. It needs a timeout.

I agree.

It's a great book and a historic book. Those facts will never change. It just needs to disappear into some strong hands.

Huh!?! I just don't get this at all. If "everyone that could possible want this book has had five chances to buy it" than the declining value of the book would appear to be commiserate with the (lack of) demand.

Why would the demand increase in 10 years? If anything, there would appear to be a reasonable risk that the pool of collectors that are both interested in very expensive Timely Comics and have the wherewithall to buy them will probably be a smaller pool ten years from now then today, and the supply of MC 1s on the market might well increase as their current owners of get older and they or their survivors liquidate collections amassed twenty to forty years ago.

Huh!?! I just don't get this at all. If "everyone that could possible want this book has had five chances to buy it" than the declining value of the book would appear to be commiserate with the (lack of) demand.

Why would the demand increase in 10 years? If anything, there would appear to be a reasonable risk that the pool of collectors that are both interested in very expensive Timely Comics and have the wherewithall to buy them will probably be a smaller pool ten years from now then today, and the supply of MC 1s on the market might well increase as their current owners of get older and they or their survivors liquidate collections amassed twenty to forty years ago.

I think part of what drives collectors is perception of rarity.

We've already discussed this in two other threads this week.

Collectors are willing to pay more for something if they feel they may not have another shot at it again.

What Tim has been maintaining for some time now, is that because the number of Marvel #1 copies on the market has increased over the last little whiel, there seems to be a perception that the book is not rare when compared to other big keys, when in fact it is just as rare as Action #1 and the other big keys (acc to the CGC census anyways). The ready availability of the book may actually hinder it's appeal because the perception is that if I don't bid on one now I can always find one later.

Apparently it's a cycle that happens to many books over the years.

Looks like Gary Keller owned this Marvel 1 (and the More Fun52) that is on the block... Does anyone know him personally? I wonder why he is selling his stuff so soon after he purchased it. He really had a great collection of books that was assembled in about only 5 years. What's his story??

Looks like Gary Keller owned this Marvel 1 (and the More Fun52) that is on the block... Does anyone know him personally? I wonder why he is selling his stuff so soon after he purchased it. He really had a great collection of books that was assembled in about only 5 years. What's his story??

Probably the same story that everyone else has, income stream probably isn't what it useto be a couple years ago or maybe he has other major real estate investments that got hammered by the crash. Of course I'm completely speculating but for such a passionate collector, if you had the coin why would you sell them?

Commensurate.

I think part of what drives collectors is perception of rarity.

We've already discussed this in two other threads this week.

Collectors are willing to pay more for something if they feel they may not have another shot at it again.

What Tim has been maintaining for some time now, is that because the number of Marvel #1 copies on the market has increased over the last little whiel, there seems to be a perception that the book is not rare when compared to other big keys, when in fact it is just as rare as Action #1 and the other big keys (acc to the CGC census anyways). The ready availability of the book may actually hinder it's appeal because the perception is that if I don't bid on one now I can always find one later.

Apparently it's a cycle that happens to many books over the years.

So akin to buying low and selling high, one should buy on perceived availability and sell on perceived rarity?

Yep. I plan on being in a position to buy a nice restored Marvel # 1 in five years...my bet is that I'll find a decent one in the $10k-$15k range in that time span.

I'm going to treat it as my mid life crisis...but instead of a $30,000 sports car that will depreciate to nothing over time, it will be a comic book that will do the same. :tonofbricks:

Commensurate.

I'd say commiserate is actually not a bad word for it in this specific situation lol