• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC announces Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne

66 posts in this topic

:luhv: Hiyo!

If this is true. In April of 2010... I will be so mired up in depression that (probably) the thought of living one more day without new DC Comics will result in me trying to commit some form of suicide or just plainly... ending my life.

I not only have been missing the entire (Though my last pile of comic purchases I did come away with Green Lantern #44, Green Lantern Corps #38, Blackest Night #1, and Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps #1-2) Blackest Night event, but will probably still be out of work and not be able to pick up this series and DC upcoming Earth One OGN project.

I am so far behind in "whats happening in the DCU" that I oftentimes cry myself to sleep while staring at my comic book boxes across from my bed.

P.S.

Final Crisis was not a mess, but such great work (I cannot believe the amount of garbage excuses people have for not understanding what happen in R.I.P. and Final Crisis when majority of it was explain in the actual series)... though the timestream plot has me wondering if Booster Gold and Rip Hunter will have any play into the return of Bruce Wayne/(Real) Batman back to good ol' Earth.

how soon till that specter guy come in calling it the greatest thing in the world?

Hiyo!!!!

I'm starting to wonder what happened to him. It's been a while since I've seen a post by him.

:luhv: Hiyo!

Miss me, eh!?

I regularly post here... http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2580257#Post2580257 , come check it out and contribute!

I haven't read a single Tec with Batwoman in it yet, it just doesn't appeal to me. I've heard it's a great run, and I'll probably hit them all in one go when Bats gets back.

+1

however i still buy detective just so i can have a complete run on detective lol i try to read it but i just dont relate to Batwoman at all. And ppl dig JH williams but im not a fan. Not my cup of tea (shrug)

When JH Williams (great surname by the way) first appeared on the Batman books I wasn't too struck either, but his art does sort of grow on you. It seemed to me that he was trying to mimic Kelley Jones' style, and poorly. I realise now he wasn't.

I do have all the 'Tecs, gotta keep the run going, but they can shove the variants.

I have flicked through the books and they do look nice, that's half the reason I'm going to go back and read them. I'm just thinking that not having any interest in the character will make me put them away just as quickly without finishing them.

Bruce needs to come back, and I don't think anyone really questioned if the revival would come, just when the revival would come.

That is not to mean that rushing him back is the right call. Killing a character like Bruce Wayne, even if it is just temporary, has to result in some powerful and purposeful event. Maybe that is yet to come in Blackest Night. Really what I'm looking for is that moment when I can say "oh, so that's why Bruce needed to die" otherwise I'll just be pissed off with DC for a laughably short turnaround on an event that should never have really happened in the first place. At least Marvel let Steve Rogers stay dead for two years before bringing him back.

a laughably short turnaround on an event that should never have really happened in the first place.

Nail. On. Head. The whole thing was just put in place to stroke Morrison's ego, and why the hell DD ever let it happen is beyond me.

You have the largest grossing comic book movie of all time still in theatres with Batman being pimped to the max, so you kill him off while interest is at it's peak. Nobody outside of comics gives a mess about Nightwing, and nobody at all gives a mess about Damian, so that was ultimately the worst decision DC could ever make.

Knightfall still kicks RIP into touch, and hopefully Morrison will disappear from the Batbooks when he's brought back.

why the hell DD ever let it happen is beyond me.

Well, that part is easy enough to explain: Morrison's Batman & Robin was the 2nd best-selling book for October. I don't think the Batman franchise has been anywhere near that level since the Jim Lee Hush days.

why the hell DD ever let it happen is beyond me.

Well, that part is easy enough to explain: Morrison's Batman & Robin was the 2nd best-selling book for October. I don't think the Batman franchise has been anywhere near that level since the Jim Lee Hush days.

And I don't think it was through RIP and still isn't.

Batman and Spidey are 2 titles that if written and drawn right would remain a popular top selling comic. Instead they try and do stupid event story lines to try and sell other garbage comics by tying them into the Batman titles. Marvel almost ruined Spidey and Batman is on the way to ruining Batman. Get back to solid writing and illustrated comics using the great characters that already exists and everything will be fine.

Really.

Both companies need to just realize that both characters are waaaaayyy past the point of being interesting. Especially Batman. Just write fun stories with good villain characterization and quit trying to make those franchises into something they're not.

You can either have a franchise character or you can have meaningful stories... but you can't have both. To have a real meaningful story, something has to really be at risk. That never happens with the franchise characters.

I don't read Batman or Spider-Man anymore...

And cap's most likely gone after Steve comes back. The Winter Soldier storyline was great (for me) b/c I had no idea Cap was dying when 25 came out... and I really honestly wasn't completely sure it was just temporary. I really thought they might actually leave him dead for the foreseeable future.

I'm thinking that Bats and Cap hooked up for gay love in the 1800's while lost in time and one of them gave birth to Wolverine.

They might be genetically predisposed to be open to the possibility of same-sex attraction but only act upon it due to the disorientation common with temporal dislocation plus the pathological fear instilled in both from the commonality of every female they form a sexual relationship with being either killed or the daughter of an arch villain they can never fully trust. Both have multiple past incidents of training pre-adolescent and adolescent boys as platonic surrogates, displaying a clear desire to have a "partner" that can take care of itself without being killed or tied to a train-track by a lunatic who resembles a grinning skull.

It actually may not be an example of homosexuality as much as a case of extreme narcissism resulting in offspring that is nigh impossible to kill and physically reflects the parents' repressed disgust with the heroic lifestyle they find themselves unable to escape.

Before you think that these two characters being gay is implausible, consider the butt-screwing each has taken from their respective companies the last few years.

In other words it's really Joe Q. and Dan D. subconsciously begging each other for a date.

:winnah:

I'm not sure how anyone has a problem finding Batwoman interesting. I knew nothing about her before reading Detective comics and after just the few comics I have read so far she is one of my favorite female superheroes. If anything read the last two issues, and if that doesn't warm you up to her, nothing will.

I dropped Detective once they took Batman out and especially no Dini. Sometimes I wish I kept up with it (covers look killer). But, honestly, I've been dropping non-Vertigo DC issues left and right. Hell, JSA might even be on the block with this ridiculous title split.

Pat

Remember, back in the days when there were only TWO Batman titles being published...?

I don't.

:mad:

Would you settle for four Batman titles?

Batman

Detective

World's Finest

The Brave and the Bold

I'd love to see DC put Batman in only these four and focus on good stories and art without having to rely on gimmicks and big events.

Remember, back in the days when there were only TWO Batman titles being published...?

I don't.

:mad:

Would you settle for four Batman titles?

Batman

Detective

World's Finest

The Brave and the Bold

B&B ended in 1983, and WF ended in 1986. Ok, I'll give you B&TO, but Bats was out by 1986 there, too. ;)

I've always thought Bat titles other than the main two were weak, and they were never something I bothered with. I did give LOTDK and SOTB a good run, but again, looking back over them now they were nothing special. The Venom storyline in LOTDK being the one outstanding storyline.

But now Batman & Robin and Streets of Gotham are actually very good reads. Strong enough to keep running as a title on their own? Probably not, but some of the better stuff to be running alongside Bats and Tec for years.