• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Visions

14 posts in this topic

Anyone have any info. or scans of the later issues. I've got (actually #1 was sold) #1-5 (#1 is the most valuable with the early Flaming Carrot appearance, #1-3 show up most often with #4 and 5 being lesser in value but rarely showing up), but read there was more issues and wondered if anyone had scans of the later issues if there was any more.

http://flamingcarrot.com/FC/biblio_covers.html

I own every issue of visions except for issue #8.

I think your information is a bit wrong when it comes to "rarity".

Issue 2, 3, 4, 5 are quite common. I am pretty sure I can find all of those issues

for sale on ebay right this second. For inflated prices of course ;-)

Issue 6 is an odd find. The size of the format shrunk during this time. I have

a feeling most people did not keep it due to that. It felt less like a comic or magazine.

Issue 1 due to its price shows up for sale pretty often on ebay. 3-4 per year

at the very least. After looking quite a bit 3 years ago ebay kept having them

show up one after the other. Easily a 150+ dollar issue. In high grade think 300.

Issue 7 and 9 are so tough it is ridiculous and when they come to auction be

prepared to compete for them. I have only seen them come up for sale once

in a few year time frame and I had to pay approx 75 each on ebay in a pure auction. Most people, I am guessing, felt no reason to hold onto them compared

to the first 3 issues which truly felt like a comic worth saving.

I have never seen issue 8 for sale. Never.

I also managed to get some of the thin flyers they gave away back then and

a poster from the Atlanta convention. These are early 1980ish time frame. I think

I have 4 years of the flyers.

The link above should fill you in with anything you want to know.

Thanks for the info. and link. There was a #9 on eBay a few weeks ago that I

lost out on and didn't know it was a Visions.

Really? I check ebay so often I am shocked I missed it. I even do generic searches

for things like "atlanta" and what not to catch the odd ball titles.

Is it still possible to find the link to the auction? I tried and failed to find it in the completed

listings. I am curious what grade it was and what was the hammer price.

Just goes to show how an odd title name in an auction can really disrupt the chances

for a person willing to pay up from not seeing it.

Thanks for the info.

Get this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Visions-1-Fanzine-Magazine-1st-Flaming-Carrot-S-N_W0QQitemZ220524722178QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33584c3802

478 dollars for a Visions #1 in approx fine. Since mine is easily better condition then that

it looks like I could get 500+. Go figure. I saw that copy sit on ebay for months until someone

bit. Did not catch that it sold I was so tired of watching it.

I have 1-4 somwhere around here. I actually had a few of them signed on the first page of the Carrot stories by Bob Burden. That was probably twenty years ago at the Chicago Con.

DRX

I also have multiple copies of Visions issues and it seems like Bob Burden was

really out there signing away. I also recall my Visions #1 having a small drawing

by Bob too.

That is often what I like about this run of books. Each one can be unique. One

has to open them up and read them page by page because you never know whose

signature you will find inside. If I remember right one of them has a signature from

the folks who created Elflord. Panini or something like that.

Also guests at the convention might have been asked. I really need to reread my

stuff!

----------

On another note I noticed Visions 1-3's stories are basically repeated in the Flaming

Carrot comic series. Early issues naturally. I always enjoy having the more original

story. Now if I could just find out where that original art went too!

It seems like a lot of those indy books had their original start in different places

and the first few issues just repeated what the creator did earlier. Albeit more refined.

I also have multiple copies of Visions issues and it seems like Bob Burden was

really out there signing away. I also recall my Visions #1 having a small drawing

by Bob too.

Bob would set up at shows with some art and a box or two of books. He was always buying and selling Visions whenever he could get his hands on them. He often would add a sketch or signature every time he got a copy. IIRC, one of mine has two or three in it.