• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1 more today - an original off-the-rack DD#1

14 posts in this topic

i bought this off the rack in the winter of '64.

this was the only comic that i ever considered buying more than 1 copy of. somehow i couldn't spring for another 12 cents and wound up with only one. i stopped buying comics almost completely by issue #5.

after seeing what the #1 on comiclink in 9.4 went for last week, i could cry..... foreheadslap.gif

i might've had this one plus 4 other unread ones...........

1075959220259_DD_1_front.jpg

1077419796874_DD_1_back.jpg

The spine bends are on white, so you might get away with a lot there. Amazing corners! The top edge is gonna cost you. I think realistically it could be a 9.0.

Somtimes CGC seems to grade books at face value, and sometimes they seem to go with the "deduction system" - start from 10 points (or 100) and subtract for specific defects. This is how you get very pretty books with an obvious spine stress scoring 9.6. On the face of it, even a single spine stress shouldn't get a 9.6, but if the book looks like 9.8 - 10 country they'll give it that, then deduct for the stress.

Anyhow, that might happen with this book, so you never know. Might get a 9.2.

Great, fresh looking book.

Probably give it a 7.5-8.0.

It has what appears to be a long crease (probably doesn't break color) in the middle of the book coming out from the spine, spine stress lines coming from the staples and a faint discoloration at the top, middle of the back cover.

Plus the overhang has a lot of wear. Because it's white, it doesn't show up as color breaks, but my guess is that there is some color breaking (would show up as a lack of gloss).

I'm being very critical. It's a super book.

To follow up, I believe it is nicer than most 8.0-8.5 copies (because of its freshness) It just seems that a long crease / bend over a certain legnth pulls a book below the 9.0 grade. Of course if it was a GA book, I would grade it a notch or two higher.

thanks garth - please take a gander at the others i posted today as i need opinions. it'll also be interesting to see how CGC grades them after the forum chimes in. i suspect that the grades will go down a notch or two since you can only surmise so much from a scan.

thanks garth - please take a gander at the others i posted today as i need opinions. it'll also be interesting to see how CGC grades them after the forum chimes in. i suspect that the grades will go down a notch or two since you can only surmise so much from a scan

You might be surprised with CGC's grade. The board members (including myself) are very critical. If there are no hidden defects (lots of surface wear or damage to interior pages), the CGC's grade could be notch or two higher.

One suggestion. Give a slightly bigger scan.

Good Luck.