• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC grading "soft" lately?

71 posts in this topic

I saw some of the Mound City books, and I thought they were graded a little on the easy side.

I also saw some recently graded books (mostly early SA stuff) at auction that look like gift grades. Has anyone noticed this trend?

Makes me wonder if I should have some of my early label CGCs regraded!

I agree it should probably not be a 9.2, but 7.5 seems a bit harsh. 8.5 or 9.0 at the top end maybe?

The staple stress and soft corners alone would keep the book in 9.2. That 9.2 is a gift. There is also a partial crease going up from the bottom center of the book.

I also saw some recently graded books (mostly early SA stuff) at auction that look like gift grades. Has anyone noticed this trend?

IMO CGC has been fairly strict since about mid year. I guess there are exceptions.

I've heard the Mound City books were graded soft, and that 9.2 shown in the beginning of this thread was a gift grade in my opinion. However, I felt earlier this year they were grading very soft across the board. In my experience, which is quite a few slabs, they have tightened up over the last few months. I don't think they are overly strict right now, I think they're where they should be.

I think they've been consistently softer for years, since introducing the new label. I can remember when a 9.4 was an immaculate book, a 9.6 was perfect and 9.8 was virtually unobtainable. Now I see many 9.4s that look like 9.2s.

I'm sure those 2 stress lines look much smaller in person than in that blown up scan. Don't forget, there are 5 grades HIGHER than 9.2!

West

You're right West. It should have graded 9.4 I think. Then only 4 grades higher!! In fact, since that's how most of the Mound City books were graded, maybe we should extend those grading standards to the guys who don't spend $40,000 with you. :makepoint: That way you could actually live up to the impartial third party grading company that you claim to be.

I've spent about $10,000 and submitted 300 books in the last month. NONE of my Silver Age books got gift grades like the Mound City books did. And my books actually lay flat when you crack them out of the slab!

I'm sure those 2 stress lines look much smaller in person than in that blown up scan. Don't forget, there are 5 grades HIGHER than 9.2!

West

You're right West. It should have graded 9.4 I think. Then only 4 grades higher!! In fact, since that's how most of the Mound City books were graded, maybe we should extend those grading standards to the guys who don't spend $40,000 with you. :makepoint: That way you could actually live up to the impartial third party grading company that you claim to be.

I've spent about $10,000 and submitted 300 books in the last month. NONE of my Silver Age books got gift grades like the Mound City books did. And my books actually lay flat when you crack them out of the slab!

Silly boy. You need to walk yours through in a lot of 3000 or so. That way, no one know which books are yours and they can be graded impartially. meh

Enough of the "CGC is hard on me :cry: " posts until we see an equal amount for those who's books receive "gift grades". And not comments on someone else's books, comments on their own only accepted. :sumo:

If I've missed those threads I apologize in advance. Happy Holidays!

West

:popcorn: