• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Deadpool overtaken Wolverine in popularity?

54 posts in this topic

I went to Marvel.com message board and was shocked that Deadpool had over 31,000 posts to Wolverine only having 12,000 posts.That`s like almost 3 to 1 interest in favor of Deadpool! In fact Deadpool is closing in on Spiderman who is the leader at 39,000 posts. maybe that New Mutants cgc 9.9 isn`t a crazy price after all with Deadpool`s popularity skyrocketing even past Wolverine with the younger generation. hm

any thoughts on this or is Deadpool just a fad like zhu zhu pets?

ryan-reynolds-deadpool.jpg

I don't think Wolverine was ever as popular as hollywood would have you believe.

Sure he was. He's everywhere as far as Marvel ads go.

Kids love him too.

Hulk #181 anyone?

Popularity on a comic book message board is totally different than popularity with the overall general public.

The vast majority of average citizens on the street wouldn't have a clue who Deadpool is.

I saw several little kids dressed as Wolverine for Halloween this year, none as Deadpool.

However, I do see signs that Deadpool's popularity has risen over the past few months, at least among the comicbook community.

Just a fad..think "Spawn"

I dunno they both came out about the same year and Deadpool still seems to have much more interest then Spawn or Todd McFarlane does. They faded a long time ago while Deadpool continues to get hot.

Yeah, but Deadpool didn't get his real popularity boost until recently. It's almost certain to fade after a while. I'm not saying that he won't be popular but his being "flavour of the month" won't last for ever. If Marvel are planning to go ahead with a Deadpool movie then they should strike while the iron's hot.

I dunno they both came out about the same year and Deadpool still seems to have much more interest then Spawn or Todd McFarlane does. They faded a long time ago while Deadpool continues to get hot.

Yeah, but Deadpool didn't get his real popularity boost until recently. It's almost certain to fade after a while. I'm not saying that he won't be popular but his being "flavour of the month" won't last for ever. If Marvel are planning to go ahead with a Deadpool movie then they should strike while the iron's hot.

I can`t remember a superhero character who got more popular later in his career then Deadpool, usually a character starts out hot, then fades, Deadpool is the exact opposite. very unusual to become more popular almost 2 decades later.

I think the real proof is in sales. Both characters have multiple titles out. The highest ranked Deadpool title in November was Deadpool #17 which ranked 37th in sales compared to Dark Wolverine #80 (which doesn't even have the real wolverine in it) which ranked 28th in sales volume.

Personally, I prefer Deadpool to Wolverine, but sales numbers don't lie.

Additional books rankings for sales volume were:

Deadpool Team-Up #899 Rank 46

Wolverine Origins #42 Rank 48

Deadpool Merc with a Mouth Rank 49

Wolverine Weapon X #7 Rank 50

I can`t remember a superhero character who got more popular later in his career then Deadpool, usually a character starts out hot, then fades, Deadpool is the exact opposite. very unusual to become more popular almost 2 decades later.

I would counter by saying Deadpool has had more of an ebb and flow popularity. He got really hot for a little while in the 90's and then quickly faded. I think we are seeing the same trend now.

I can`t remember a superhero character who got more popular later in his career then Deadpool,

Punisher :gossip:

------------

Ghost Rider too.

Deathlok.

Morbius (well, not so much)

Guardians of the Galaxy

Iron Fist

A lot of Marvel BA chara characters got popular 15-20 years after they were first introduced when they came back in the early 90s. Sure, GR had a series in the 70s and early 80's, but it was cancelled and definitely a third tier book. GRs 2d series sold gadjillions.

I can`t remember a superhero character who got more popular later in his career then Deadpool,

Punisher :gossip:

------------

Ghost Rider too.

Deathlok.

Morbius (well, not so much)

Guardians of the Galaxy

Iron Fist

A lot of Marvel BA chara characters got popular 15-20 years after they were first introduced when they came back in the early 90s. Sure, GR had a series in the 70s and early 80's, but it was cancelled and definitely a third tier book. GRs 2d series sold gadjillions.

Three Stooges ......... they were forgotten about until TV re-runs came along and made them stars again

three-stooges.jpg

Deadpool lacks the visual iconography of either the Punisher or Ghost Rider, but the parallels in his rise in popularity are there. I'm not in the fan base for these kind of books, but it seems to me the "buzz" around "hot" characters like Punisher, Ghost Rider and Lobo back in the day was stronger than it is now for this Deadpool fellow. It's probably safe to say that around 1990 - the Punisher was bigger than Wolverine.