• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

captain america reintoduced - avengers #4 - thoughts?

23 posts in this topic

last one for today;

hit the newstands around january 1964. his costume had appeared in strange tales #114 4 months earlier (as a hint of what was to come, i guess), but this was the true reintro of CA. this one just jumped off the rack at me. still one of my all-time favorite books!!! opinions?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1076491073549_Avengers_4_front.jpg

1077433919044_Avengers_4_back.jpg

Very nice one.

Between a 8.5-9.0. I believe CGC grades this strict because of the white cover. You can see by looking on the back that there is a few spine stress lines (but hard to see on the front because of the white cover).

I

As someone who has owned a number of GA captain america books I've always wondered exactly how he made the transition into the Silver age. It actually wasn't until just a few weeks ago that I finally pulled out my copy of Avengers 4 and read the thing cover to cover. It was pretty entertaining... except for the fact that it turns out some kid drew mustaches on most of the characters on the interior of the book.. That was kind of annoying smile.gif

By the way, your copy looks outstanding. Is there any wear we cant see because of the white backround? Looks like a 9.0 to me.

sfilosa; interestingly, there is only one tiny spine tick on the front cover and it's not in the white but in the black towards the bottom.

rob; that ulc of the back cover is a teeny triangular piece that's gone. you're seeing the interior pages ,which are not as white as the cover, through the gap.

I saw the wrinkling around the shoes, but still might give it the 8.5-9.0. The tiny nick at the top is normal for this book (I have a copy but my nick is smaller but on the front).

What I said about the spine stress is that the black line is on the back cover and you can see a light breaks. It is iimpossible to tell if they are stress lines that wrap around the front cover.

I'm going to guess 8.5, mostly because it looks a bit better than my own copy which they gave an 8.0. You can't really tell from my scan but there's a slight crease in the black area lower left corner. And the chip on the b.c. of your copy? Similar chip on the f.c. of this copy, near the Comics Code stamp. Slight tanning along spine.

Charlie

TAvenger4.jpg

I'm going to guess 8.5, mostly because it looks a bit better than my own copy which they gave an 8.0. You can't really tell from my scan but there's a slight crease in the black area lower left corner. And the chip on the b.c. of your copy? Similar chip on the f.c. of this copy, near the Comics Code stamp. Slight tanning along spine.

Your copy looks nice (other than the tanning). I really believe there are a few spine stress lines in burntboy's copy. Look right near the Wasp feet. And even to the side of Giant-Man's leg.

That said, I still see it as a 8.5-9.0 copy. Very white.

comicmankev had the lowest grade at 7.5 and everyone else was 8.0 - 9.0.

amazingly, this got a 6.0 893whatthe.gif

i've looked it over again and again and cannot fins anything wrong with it other than the few things mentioned in the thread. it has to be something inside and now that it's slabbed, i can't check it out. i will be calling for the notes tomorrow - i'm still stunned. i can't even imagine what could be so wrong as to drop it from a potential 9.0 to a 6.0. most interior damage that would cause that kind of drop would probably get it a green label??

thoughts???