• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is this foxing?

38 posts in this topic

What's going to hit you a bit harder is the reluctance you will face when trying to sell the book. There's some debate in the scientific community as to whether foxing is an reaction to iron content in the paper or a form of mold, but either way its tendencies to grow or spread under humid conditions puts collectors off.

There's some debate in the scientific community as to whether foxing is an reaction to iron content in the paper or a form of mold, but either way its tendencies to grow or spread under humid conditions puts collectors off.

I've always thought it was a form of mold.

Additionally, I've wondered if the spread of foxing can be halted with pressing. If the results of foxing is mold, perhaps the heat of the press would kill the mold.

What's going to hit you a bit harder is the reluctance you will face when trying to sell the book. There's some debate in the scientific community as to whether foxing is an reaction to iron content in the paper and/or a form of mold or bacteria, but either way its tendencies to grow or spread under humid (and/or contained) conditions puts collectors off.

Short and concise with only a couple of comments. It also, of course, (as in nature) may be a consequence of a combination of these factors.

There's some debate in the scientific community as to whether foxing is an reaction to iron content in the paper or a form of mold, but either way its tendencies to grow or spread under humid conditions puts collectors off.

I've always thought it was a form of mold.

Additionally, I've wondered if the spread of foxing can be halted with pressing. If the results of foxing is mold, perhaps the heat of the press would kill the mold.

Highly unlikely on all counts. :)

thanks..I was afraid it would be. How big of a hit will this be for grading? any book with slight foxing get a 9.2 or above?

this is a bronze book by the way.

It's typically a subjective call on the part of the grader, with newer (BA or newer) books getting less tolerance.

Even if it is a type of mold, I doubt that it is a problem under anything close to proper storage conditions. I have a book (Foxe's Book of Martyrs) that was printed at least 200 years ago and although it has foxing, it is not much worse that we see on this comic. Foxing is nothing like mildew, which really is a serious and progressively destructive problem (in my opinion, at least).

Even if it is a type of mold, I doubt that it is a problem under anything close to proper storage conditions. I have a book (Foxe's Book of Martyrs) that was printed at least 200 years ago and although it has foxing, it is not much worse that we see on this comic. Foxing is nothing like mildew, which really is a serious and progressively destructive problem (in my opinion, at least).
Wouldn't a mold work its way past the cover into the pages? hm

Foxing is not a mold but a fungi. The stains are created by their secretions. Humidity is the deciding factor in its production. I think washing with chemicals that create an alkaline reserve followed by a Hypochlorite solution will kill and remove most or all of the stains.

Foxing is not a mold but a fungi. The stains are created by their secretions. Humidity is the deciding factor in its production. I think washing with chemicals that create an alkaline reserve followed by a Hypochlorite solution will kill and remove most or all of the stains.

This is hilariously incorrect. I won't even bother. :eek:

Wouldn't a mold work its way past the cover into the pages? hm

As you might guess, I am a follower of the "iron impurities in the paper" theory.

To bring things into perspective, let me describe the book I have. In those days, books were extremely expensive and most families were lucky to have more than one. (If they had one, it was probably the family Bible.) The edition I have was typical of large books of the day. It was printed in 80 installments so that people could afford to purchase one every month or so. When complete, the owner would have them bound into a single volume. They did not have copyrights in those days, so there is no notice regarding when it was printed, although you can tell from the dedication that it was printed during the reign of King George III, which places it in the 1760-1811 time frame. This volume was published in England and spent some time in S. Africa, where I purchased it. I currently live in the USA. Anyway, it has been exposed to a fair amount of humidity, and you can see "watermarks" around the edges of perhaps a third of the pages--some severe and some minor. Incidentally, although some of the pages are ragged through use and aging, the pages are very supple--much more than comic paper, which leads me to believe it has some rag content.

Now, with that out of the way, foxing is evenly distributed throughout the book, which is about 3" thick. It does not seem to vary regardless of the amount of apparent water staining on the edges nor with the location of the page in the book.

This is hilariously incorrect. I won't even bother. :eek:

Instead, he'll stay where he is. On his high horse. :baiting: