• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Still waiting for the Market Crash..

68 posts in this topic

The overall general comic market has crashed, 90 percent of comics are worthless monetarily.Don`t be fooled by the high grade cgc books that go for thousands of dollars,they are just a small percent of the overall comic market.

yea high grade CGC will never crash but go and try to sell some dreck from the 90s or try to sell some silver or bronze age vg commons and you won`t get much for them. I was just looking at Ebay auctions and just about any low and mid- grade key from the 1960`s and 1970`s can be had for pretty cheap raw.thats the keys,the commons are even much cheaper raw.

The overall general comic market has crashed, 90 percent of comics are worthless monetarily.

In order for there to be a crash, there first had to be a big run-up in prices. For the vast majority of what you're referring to, there was no crash because those books have never been worth anything. The fact that they're worthless today is not a crash, it's simply a continuation of the trend since they left the store.

Probably the only place they ever had any value was in the Guide. I remember Zaid posting on here several years ago about donating a bunch of books to charity because it was the only place he could get Guide for the books. So in my opinion there's nothing new here.

The overall general comic market has crashed, 90 percent of comics are worthless monetarily.

In order for there to be a crash, there first had to be a big run-up in prices. For the vast majority of what you're referring to, there was no crash because those books have never been worth anything. The fact that they're worthless today is not a crash, it's simply a continuation of the trend since they left the store.

Probably the only place they ever had any value was in the Guide. I remember Zaid posting on here several years ago about donating a bunch of books to charity because it was the only place he could get Guide for the books. So in my opinion there's nothing new here.

Of course action 1 or high grade cgc Marvel silver age are great,they are so great that they give an illusion that all comics are doing well when the case really is you can`t even get 10 cents to 99 cents for most comics. Imagine if Superman,Batman or the Marvel key silver age stuff wasn`t in high demand? You got a few books/characters who are keeping the interest alive in this hobby moneywise.

didn't he donate a Showcase #4 in 9.2 for the same reason as well?

Contrary to Tim's mal-formed opinion :baiting:, the certified 9.8 Copper Market crashed very hard last year and into this year as well. Good news is that there has been some price resurgence in a handful of the titles I track, meaning some of that inventory is finally being absorbed.

Of course, there was an abundance of supply that came into the market in the last 24 months, way more then in the eight years preceeding it. So, I suppose you could say it was the market just finding its equilibrium.

High grade Silver and Bronze from 1966 on have also taken hits as a whole, probably down about 20-30% in general from peak levels.

Of course action 1 or high grade cgc Marvel silver age are great, they are so great that they give an illusion that all comics are doing well when the case really is you can`t even get 10 cents to 99 cents for most comics

Well, a fool and his money...

Only the most naive collector could have thought that because AF 15 in NM has increased from $40K in 1993 to $200K in 2008 means that all issues of Youngblood have experienced the same degree of appreciation. And in fact, it is naive non-collectors who regularly come into LCSs with their "treasure trove" of Wolverines from the 1990s expecting to hear that they've hit it rich.

Also, the implication in your post is that at some point previously you COULD get a higher price than "10 cents to 99 cents", but today, as a result of the crash, you no longer can.

My point is that, for example, 99% of Moderns sold in 1993 were unsellable the moment they left the store (at any price), those same comics remained unsellable in 1998, they were still unsellable in 2003, and they remain unsellable in 2009. There's never been a crash because they NEVER were worth anything.

:roflmao:

Of course action 1 or high grade cgc Marvel silver age are great, they are so great that they give an illusion that all comics are doing well when the case really is you can`t even get 10 cents to 99 cents for most comics

Well, a fool and his money...

Only the most naive collector could have thought that because AF 15 in NM has increased from $40K in 1993 to $200K in 2008 means that all issues of Youngblood have experienced the same degree of appreciation. And in fact, it is naive non-collectors who regularly come into LCSs with their "treasure trove" of Wolverines from the 1990s expecting to hear that they've hit it rich.

Also, the implication in your post is that at some point previously you COULD get a higher price than "10 cents to 99 cents", but today, as a result of the crash, you no longer can.

My point is that, for example, 99% of Moderns sold in 1993 were unsellable the moment they left the store (at any price), those same comics remained unsellable in 1998, they were still unsellable in 2003, and they remain unsellable in 2009. There's never been a crash because they NEVER were worth anything.

didn't a 90's liefeld comic just sell for over 10 grand? straight from the dollar bin to cgc, that method is bulletproof. the gravy train is never going to stop flowing

The overall general comic market has crashed, 90 percent of comics are worthless monetarily. . . . and try to sell some dreck from the 90s or try to sell some silver or bronze age vg commons and you won`t get much for them. I was just looking at Ebay auctions and just about any low and mid- grade key from the 1960`s and 1970`s can be had for pretty cheap raw.thats the keys,the commons are even much cheaper raw.

-------------

And when exactly did any of this stuff sell well on ebay in the last 4-5 years?* i've been reading people bi**ch and moan about how tough it is to sell this stuff for years now. if the market has been suc*y for a long time, you can't really call it a crash.

* And honestly before then. There was a brief period around 1999/2000 when ebay was "new" and you could sell all sorts of krap there, even 90's junk, not for real money, but $1-$2 a piece or whatever, but that didn't last long once folks got over the "newness" of ebay.

:roflmao:

The overall general comic market has crashed, 90 percent of comics are worthless monetarily. . . . and try to sell some dreck from the 90s or try to sell some silver or bronze age vg commons and you won`t get much for them. I was just looking at Ebay auctions and just about any low and mid- grade key from the 1960`s and 1970`s can be had for pretty cheap raw.thats the keys,the commons are even much cheaper raw.

-------------

And when exactly did any of this stuff sell well on ebay in the last 4-5 years?* i've been reading people bi**ch and moan about how tough it is to sell this stuff for years now. if the market has been suc*y for a long time, you can't really call it a crash.

* And honestly before then. There was a brief period around 1999/2000 when ebay was "new" and you could sell all sorts of krap there, even 90's junk, not for real money, but $1-$2 a piece or whatever, but that didn't last long once folks got over the "newness" of ebay.

Yup, that's the same point I was making. The prices have been stagnant for ages, so what are they crashing from?

I was mainly picking on Moderns, but the same applies to F and VG SA and BA too. Unlike Moderns, those books CAN sell, if priced right, but the price has been lacklustre for a long time. As well they should be, because the supply of VG SA Marvels from 1964 and on is inexhaustible.

anyone remember the crash of 96 when marvel filed for bankruptcy? :grin:

here's an article from aug 4 1996. quality stuff will retain its value and junk will stay junk.

we collectors will survive unless you bet the farm on overhyped speculative junk... :preach:

anyone speculate on charltons back then? :grin:

j

comiccrash.jpg