• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Attention eBay scam artists - your days are numbered - Help wanted

33 posts in this topic

I have just been given permission by eBay to let the board members here know that I am working with them on this specific issue (I think I just got promoted to "Junior Deputy"! haha ) and to ask all board members to please provide any helpful links and any and all misleading or situations buyers have dealt with and to please forward them to this thread or to me via PM and I will pass them directly to the specific eBay team working on this regarding comic books.

Especially formerly graded comic books that have been broken out of the case and are being resold at a higher grade..or books that were formerly restored, etc etc. You all know the scams. Also the names of all the sellers we have proof are doing this

I know that anybody at any time can just send eBay information - but I really believe based on my discussion and email correspondence that something is about to change over there and they want to work with us directly - and I am just as skeptical as you all are that this will result in change - but I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt and follow up with as much information as we can as I really feel this will help all of us.

Please supply a list of any current and former "scams" with the proof of the same.

I remember posting this comparison a year ago or so after someone pointed out it was the same book. We are looking for items with proof they were previously graded but are now being resold as a higher value or grade - such as this

Photobucket

Thanks

I agree :)

In the effort to make this easy for eBay (or to be taken more seriously) - I would suggest we try to limit this tread to just postings of specific examples of past or current "fraudulent" activity.

Please include -

1) The name of the seller

2) In the case of "shill bidders" the name of the "buyer" (I saw a good example of this on the boards last week)

3) The item number

4) A link to the same book in its "slabbed" form - perhaps on another comic auction site as in the case of Journey into Mystery 83 3.5 restored being sold as 5.0 un-restored - which inspired this thread.

5) Any other information that will help that specific case

6) Links to threads that already cover this subject in detail....like this one:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3297977&fpart=1

I feel if eBay starts reading through 10 corny (but admittedly, funny comments) followed by a serious post, it might get tedious for them.

I agree :)

In the effort to make this easy for eBay (or to be taken more seriously) - I would suggest we try to limit this tread to just postings of specific examples of past or current "fraudulent" activity.

Please include -

1) The name of the seller

2) In the case of "shill bidders" the name of the "buyer" (I saw a good example of this on the boards last week)

3) The item number

4) A link to the same book in its "slabbed" form - perhaps on another comic auction site as in the case of Journey into Mystery 83 3.5 restored being sold as 5.0 un-restored - which inspired this thread.

5) Any other information that will help that specific case

6) Links to threads that already cover this subject in detail....like this one:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3297977&fpart=1

I feel if eBay starts reading through 10 corny (but admittedly, funny comments) followed by a serious post, it might get tedious for them.

I posted this in the other "lexerific" thread in the Ebay section of the board: Another lexerific scam

Hey ivegotneatstuff, I :applause: you. Well done on getting ebay to even call you back.

I have a huge thread on here somewhere of robo buying DD#7 8.0 and Subby#1 9.4 from me and selling them as 9.4 and 9.8.....It was my very first posts on the site here. I'll see if I can find it.

Had all the pics and doc's to prove it.

Here's the original thread Neatstuff. Unfortunately, it was almost a year ago and all the ebay pics are wiped from the ebay site. Still some good info and contacts. Also, proof that robo, ny_motor_dude and comic-keys are one and the same.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=2154407&Searchpage=64&Main=113166&Words=The+Silver-Age&topic=0&Search=true#Post2154407

I have just been given permission by eBay to let the board members here know that I am working with them on this specific issue (I think I just got promoted to "Junior Deputy"! haha ) and to ask all board members to please provide any helpful links and any and all misleading or situations buyers have dealt with and to please forward them to this thread or to me via PM and I will pass them directly to the specific eBay team working on this regarding comic books.

Especially formerly graded comic books that have been broken out of the case and are being resold at a higher grade..or books that were formerly restored, etc etc. You all know the scams. Also the names of all the sellers we have proof are doing this

I know that anybody at any time can just send eBay information - but I really believe based on my discussion and email correspondence that something is about to change over there and they want to work with us directly - and I am just as skeptical as you all are that this will result in change - but I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt and follow up with as much information as we can as I really feel this will help all of us.

Please supply a list of any current and former "scams" with the proof of the same.

I remember posting this comparison a year ago or so after someone pointed out it was the same book. We are looking for items with proof they were previously graded but are now being resold as a higher value or grade - such as this

Photobucket

Thanks

This post isn't a very big smoking gun, it just shows a cracked book resold at a profit with no mention of what the grade was when sold raw. Also, it would be a bigger bombshell if it were a PLOD first, then sold as "unrestored"... (shrug)

Photobucket

Thanks

This post isn't a very big smoking gun, it just shows a cracked book resold at a profit with no mention of what the grade was when sold raw. Also, it would be a bigger bombshell if it were a PLOD first, then sold as "unrestored"... (shrug)

Yeah.. the original post had the grade and all the details.. I just thought most of the people would remember it. It was definitely resold and described as a higher grade..

but this "example" wasn't supposed to be a smoking gun so much as what kind of evidence eBay is looking for...which is a scan or photo of the book before showing it in its slabbed form and the grade.. and then a link or photo of the same book being sold "raw" and described as a higher grade then it really is

ivegotneatstuff

pickycollector posted link to my thread I started awhile back but you didn't acknowledge that you checked it out and/or it has the information/evidence you're looking for...it has several verified outright fraudulent sales examples whereby he purchased books under aram321 account and resold as unrestored/higher grade on cdpaoli account (or lexerific)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3441593&fpart=1

On my FF 45 CGC 9.0 (A) he purchased from me I sent the following email to him:

Dear cdpaoli,

This is the exact same book restored CGC 9.0 that you purchased from me as aram321. I am going to report you to ebay for fraudulent activity.

- architect54

Dear architect54,

I did not purchase this on eBay from you or anyone else. What was the restoration? I bought this as 100% unrestored. I am not doing anything fraudulent.

- cdpaoli

And then he probably read this thread and he pulled the book from eBay and sent me the following note...

Dear architect54,

Sending: Fantastic Four #45 NM 9.4 High Grade Vol 1 1st Inhumans

to CGC for restoration check. It's not impossible to think the person I purchased from unrestored it. Either way, I'll know for sure once I get it back.

- cdpaoli

Of which I've obviously never received a follow-up from him re. "sending the book to CGC for restoration check"

So many red-flags and lame defenses against the accusations of fraud...now it appears he has stated at least a half-dozen times to me and others (a) "it is not impossible to think that the person I bought it from removed the restoration" (I guess that means aram321??) or (b) "the restoration was small, I removed it"...

So he's now a professional restoration remover...can't explain how he does it but no evidence exists between before (restored) and after (so-called unrestored) scans...this guy went to school on the robojo33 scam-model all the way including the elongated frontal perspective photos of the books which helps blur whether a raw book is say 8.5 or 9.4...

Surely ebay can easily verify all of these accounts are the same person and don't forget suspended account makemeanofferandwin...

Also there was a recent thread whereby the buyer of a restored/trimmed FF 5 is out approx. $750-1000 bucks!

A copy of an email I previously sent a friend:

Check it out…this guy got burned! I’m going to try and send him an email with a link to the boards thread.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220497563409

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=cdpaoli&&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

The guys out like $1725…last sale for a CGC 7.5 is Feb 08 for $2629…so if you figure this book is worth about $3K now in 7.5, then a trimmed PLOD is probably worth about $750…maybe a grand max if you could find a taker…so he’s basically out a grand…what a bummer!

BTW...I filed a fraud alert/complaint on Oct 13 2009 and never so much as received an email from eBay! :boo:

The guy's a liar and a thief!

ivegotneatstuff

pickycollector posted link to my thread I started awhile back but you didn't acknowledge that you checked it out and/or it has the information/evidence you're looking for...it has several verified outright fraudulent sales examples whereby he purchased books under aram321 account and resold as unrestored/higher grade on cdpaoli account (or lexerific)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3441593&fpart=1

On my FF 45 CGC 9.0 (A) he purchased from me I sent the following email to him:

Dear cdpaoli,

This is the exact same book restored CGC 9.0 that you purchased from me as aram321. I am going to report you to ebay for fraudulent activity.

- architect54

Dear architect54,

I did not purchase this on eBay from you or anyone else. What was the restoration? I bought this as 100% unrestored. I am not doing anything fraudulent.

- cdpaoli

And then he probably read this thread and he pulled the book from eBay and sent me the following note...

Dear architect54,

Sending: Fantastic Four #45 NM 9.4 High Grade Vol 1 1st Inhumans

to CGC for restoration check. It's not impossible to think the person I purchased from unrestored it. Either way, I'll know for sure once I get it back.

- cdpaoli

Of which I've obviously never received a follow-up from him re. "sending the book to CGC for restoration check"

So many red-flags and lame defenses against the accusations of fraud...now it appears he has stated at least a half-dozen times to me and others (a) "it is not impossible to think that the person I bought it from removed the restoration" (I guess that means aram321??) or (b) "the restoration was small, I removed it"...

So he's now a professional restoration remover...can't explain how he does it but no evidence exists between before (restored) and after (so-called unrestored) scans...this guy went to school on the robojo33 scam-model all the way including the elongated frontal perspective photos of the books which helps blur whether a raw book is say 8.5 or 9.4...

Surely ebay can easily verify all of these accounts are the same person and don't forget suspended account makemeanofferandwin...

Also there was a recent thread whereby the buyer of a restored/trimmed FF 5 is out approx. $750-1000 bucks!

A copy of an email I previously sent a friend:

Check it out…this guy got burned! I’m going to try and send him an email with a link to the boards thread.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220497563409

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=cdpaoli&&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

The guys out like $1725…last sale for a CGC 7.5 is Feb 08 for $2629…so if you figure this book is worth about $3K now in 7.5, then a trimmed PLOD is probably worth about $750…maybe a grand max if you could find a taker…so he’s basically out a grand…what a bummer!

BTW...I filed a fraud alert/complaint on Oct 13 2009 and never so much as received an email from eBay! :boo:

The guy's a liar and a thief!

I also contacted Ebay about this guy. Many of us have. It took ebay a month to get back to me asking for more information even though my original complaint included a link to the Clink book and a link to the same book on ebay, cracked out of the slab, much higher grade and magically restorated. I then got a form letter email stating that ebay was investigating and that they could not share the results of the "investigation". I know the results of the investigation, the guy is still selling crooked books on ebay.

Photobucket

Thanks

Hey David,

How are things going with this? You may/may not have noticed another Robojo thread before it got pulled and seeing as he has been mentioned in this thread by yourself and countless others in the past maybe ebay would like to start with him if they are serious about this. I will be interested to see how many scam artists have indeed been thrown off Ebay by the end of the year.