• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Book collecting

158 posts in this topic

I know there's the comic room thread, but does anyone have built in shelves they designed and built? Maybe a library? I'd love to see pictures. I'm planning to build shelves to cover a few walls in my basement, and some ideas would go a long way.

I know The Beyonder is a carpenter by trade and builds stuff custom for people.

I know there's the comic room thread, but does anyone have built in shelves they designed and built? Maybe a library? I'd love to see pictures. I'm planning to build shelves to cover a few walls in my basement, and some ideas would go a long way.

hm

Does he like road trips? Make house calls?

hm

Depends on what type of beer you stock in the bar.

:grin:

You know, I used to buy books pretty frequently from Subterranean Press, but after awhile, I felt like their books, while gorgeous, are just a money making gimmick. Limited edition versions of the same books you'll find from other publishers...there's just something that makes it feel like a manufactured collectible instead of a book.

Exactly. There's nothing fun about owning something that's rare that was meant to be rare. What's fun is owning something that was mass-produced but ended up being rare.

Well they are in business to make money. I don't think they're trying to manufacture a collectible. And I honestly think they have specific artists and use different paper, binding, etc so it's not a version you can go to Amazon and buy.

I'm not saying that something SP puts out will be as desirable as a first edition of the same book...that's not the draw for me. I like how the book is put together, cover art, slipcases, etc. I only buy books of authors I like...just like comics.

hm

Well, if he'd help build a liquor cabinet, I'd supply it with tons of booze. The mini-fridge is already loaded with microbrews from Colorado (and breast milk).

You know, I used to buy books pretty frequently from Subterranean Press, but after awhile, I felt like their books, while gorgeous, are just a money making gimmick. Limited edition versions of the same books you'll find from other publishers...there's just something that makes it feel like a manufactured collectible instead of a book.

Exactly. There's nothing fun about owning something that's rare that was meant to be rare. What's fun is owning something that was mass-produced but ended up being rare.

Well they are in business to make money. I don't think they're trying to manufacture a collectible. And I honestly think they have specific artists and use different paper, binding, etc so it's not a version you can go to Amazon and buy.

I'm not saying that something SP puts out will be as desirable as a first edition of the same book...that's not the draw for me. I like how the book is put together, cover art, slipcases, etc. I only buy books of authors I like...just like comics.

I hear what you're saying. The few SP books I own are fantastic. You can see and feel the quality. But at the end of the day, the true first edition copies hold a much higher place in my mind than the SP copies of those same books. Then again, my book collecting has always been eclectic: I buy what I'm interested in that moment. If I were to ever actually try collecting every book by the same author, then these SPs would be a lot cooler to me, I'm sure.

I hear what you're saying. The few SP books I own are fantastic. You can see and feel the quality. But at the end of the day, the true first edition copies hold a much higher place in my mind than the SP copies of those same books. Then again, my book collecting has always been eclectic: I buy what I'm interested in that moment. If I were to ever actually try collecting every book by the same author, then these SPs would be a lot cooler to me, I'm sure.

No argument here. :) I think SP has their place (especially for those that can't or don't get out to get books signed in person). They'll never usurp the first edition spot.

I just built a large built in for my office...will try and get a picture up later this afternoon!

hm

Well, if he'd help build a liquor cabinet, I'd supply it with tons of booze. The mini-fridge is already loaded with microbrews from Colorado (and breast milk).

:sick:

hm

:sick:

Our 2-month old would disagree. :P

(shrug)

Shelves-December2009.jpg

I have 4 book cases full but I'm not sure how many that is...

I only have 2 signed books. 1 by Laurell K. Hamilton (Obsidian Butterfly, and only because they were selling signed copies at B&N :) ), and Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

I considered getting more signed Jordan's shortly after he passed away 2 years ago, but they were too expensive. They publisher made a limited, signed, leatherbound set that I would love to have, but it's VVVEEERRRRYYYYY expensive.

Some of the authors I collect:

Stephen King

Dean Koontz (a few selected works)

Robert Jordan (R.I.P. :( )

Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake books)

R.A. Salvatore (Drizzt books)

F. Paul Wilson (Repairman Jack series, but I'm 2 or 3 behind now)

George R.R. Martin

Raymond Feist

Jim Butcher (Dresden Files)

I have most of the Star Wars books up to the Vector Prime stuff. I also would like the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn in first print. I have the third book, but not the first two.

Ralph Steadman

:gossip: Gerald Scarfe

Steadman light. :baiting:

Bill Sienkiewicz > Steadman + Steadman light

:D

Apples and Oranges, dude. It's like comparing chocolate cake to hamburgers.

I asked Bill once, back in the New Mutants days, if he was into Steadman and he said he was. The influence back then was obvious, as was the Adams influence. I'm a big fan of Sienkiewicz's work--I think it was groundbreaking in the comics medium, and the Daredevil graphic novel blew my mind the first time I saw it.

That said, Ralph is iconic. And he has a body and volume of work that Sienkiewicz can't touch. But he doesn't draw comics.

I like chocolate cake and hamburgers, though not always in the same chew.

I have a decent collection of signed books... some first editions, some not. I get them in person when possible, through reliable dealers and Easton Press otherwise.

I focus on political figures, explorers/adventurers, sports and anything else that catches my eye.

Some highlights:

Ronald Reagan: My Life (inscribed to me)

Ronald Reagan: Speaking His Mind The Collected Speeches (inscribed to me)

George HW Bush - Several books

Bill Clinton: Giving

Carter: Several Books

John McCain: Several books including Easton Press

Harper Lee: To Kill a Mockingbird (not first edition)

Charles Schulz: Peanuts Book

Stephen King: Under the Dome

Margaret Thatcher: Statecraft (Easton Press)

Sir Edmund Hillary: Several books

John Glenn: Several books

Chuck Yeager: Several books

4 members of Enola Gay crew signed book about Enola Gay

Arthur Miller: Death of a Salesmen

Kurt Vonnegut: Player Piano (Easton Press)

Watson and Crick: The Double Helix

Mickey Mantle: All My Octobers

Hank Aaron, Bob Gibson and several other Hall of Famers

I'm not a hardcore book collector, but I recommend Easton Press as a starting point. They may not be technical first editions, but they are undoubtedly authentic, have gorgeous workmanship and appreciate in value... they seem to be in steady demand.

I asked Bill once, back in the New Mutants days, if he was into Steadman and he said he was. The influence back then was obvious

:applause:

I loved Bill's Adams style. I loved his avant-garde style post MK. I don't care for Steadman (or Steadman light); but I've always recognized his influence on Bill S. Its cool to read your confirmatory report about it. Thanks.

Sorry derail a great thread.