• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently inherited a comic collection

65 posts in this topic

I don't know how long you've been collecting, but condition is everything. Some of those books are in bags without boards... so just be careful handling them. (I.E. don't introduce spine dings by gripping them by the spine.)

Storing them in your basement could be perfectly safe, depending on where you live and the condition of your basement. Edgar Church stored his golden age comics in his basement in Colorado unbagged for 40 years, and they remained in NM/Mint condition.

I have stored my comics safely in my basement for the past 20 years. My basement is finished, dry, and has low humidity. Basements often stay at the ideal temperature for comic book storage. If you do decide that your basement is safe and dry enough for storing them, be sure to keep them at least 3 feet up off of the floor "just in case".

Exactly. I cannot understand the initial anti-basement sentiments from several posters. Dark, consistently cool, and hopefully relatively low humidity. As long as the books don't get caught in a flood or get leaked on, basements pretty much seem to be the time-tested best long-term storage location.

Definitely beat the hell out of attics :sick: and garages! :eek:

Storing them in your basement could be perfectly safe, depending on where you live and the condition of your basement. Edgar Church stored his golden age comics in his basement in Colorado unbagged for 40 years, and they remained in NM/Mint condition.

I have stored my comics safely in my basement for the past 20 years. My basement is finished, dry, and has low humidity. Basements often stay at the ideal temperature for comic book storage. If you do decide that your basement is safe and dry enough for storing them, be sure to keep them at least 3 feet up off of the floor "just in case".

Exactly. I cannot understand the initial anti-basement sentiments from several posters. Dark, consistently cool, and hopefully relatively low humidity. As long as the books don't get caught in a flood or get leaked on, basements pretty much seem to be the time-tested best long-term storage location.

Definitely beat the hell out of attics :sick: and garages! :eek:

I agree as well. Basement seems fine to me also as long as it's not too humid and the temperature stays consistent.

You've got some nice looking books and a lot of fun reading there. Congrats!

awesome bronze and copper books from what I can tell. It is hard to tell from the pics inside the bags but the conditions of the books (at least the one with the close up) are in decent/good/great shape. Buy some backing boards asap and slide them in the bag to prevent further spine damages will be the first thing I would do tomorrow.