• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #5 - Susan Ciccone Restoration Lab - before/after

123 posts in this topic

Hey, why not buy a slabbed 3.0-5.0 PLOD and send that to Susan? That way the unrestoration purists are happy and a Lower PLOD gets upgraded to look nice. Plus it financially makes sense IYAM.

susan advised I could let anyone know that the charge ranges from $50 to $100 per hour depending on the book and degree of difficulty.

That was already my guess based upon other professionals who offer similar services. How many hours did it take to restore this FF #5? We can make an educated guess about how much someone charges per hour, but having never done work like this myself, I have no idea how long it takes. 5 hours? 40 hours? I have no idea.

A beautiful book and a beautiful job.

Proof positive that Susan can color match and press with the best of them.

Congrats (thumbs u

Subtle like sledgehammer.
:gossip:

Why don't you come out and actually say something you silly little girl-man gossip monger? Have the stones to actually defame the woman instead of hiding behind childish insinuations.

Or should you simply be addressed as the Queen Bee?

:busy: :busy: :busy:

I don't think it's a big secret that Susan has pressed books in the past, but doesn't do press only now. I'm guessing that's what he's referring to. It was why I posted subtle comment to the tall one.

I understand and I think most folks know this... it's public knowledge... certainly no secret since Susan has said so in public forums and her own web site.

The :gossip: seems to imply something else. What, I don't know. But a casual reader is going to presume something untoward or dishonest.

What's the big secret about how much it cost?

+1

It has the same class as me asking how much your car cost or how much you make. It's personal as it's tied into (at least partially) how much the person values the book. For that matter, I'm not always keen on telling someone how much I paid for a certain book. It's like that.

Congrats (thumbs u

Why don't you come out and actually say something you silly little girl-man gossip monger? Have the stones to actually defame the woman instead of hiding behind childish insinuations.

What exactly is the insinuation? There was no hint of dishonesty towards Ms. Ciccone. I was responding to Transplant's post, as if it were any of your business, with absolutely no regard for Susan Ciccone. The :gossip: implies nothing toward Susan... except in your feeble mind.

You're a fine one to talk. Why don't you man up? If the conversation doesn't flow your way or if you don't agree with what someone has to say, you automatically put them on ignore. You and Red Hook are so much alike... permanently one brick shy of a load.

I have no problem expressing an opinion regarding Ms. Ciccone. I think the work she does is quite good, for her level of skill. For your benefit, I will be a little more blunt. I think the restoration world has passed her by and she should be thankful for every job she gets these days.

I've got plenty of stones, you hypocrite. I don't give a damn about Susan Ciccone or you and my sun doesn't rise or set in the crack of either one of your asses. You are such a jerk. (thumbs u

I understand and I think most folks know this... it's public knowledge... certainly no secret since Susan has said so in public forums and her own web site.

The :gossip: seems to imply something else. What, I don't know. But a casual reader is going to presume something untoward or dishonest.

Kinda like a causal observer of the NOD Gallery of Disclosure is going to presume that all the books there have something done to them. Whether or not they have. Because there are examples there that have had nothing done to them. :thumbsup:

+1

It has the same class as me asking how much your car cost or how much you make. It's personal as it's tied into (at least partially) how much the person values the book. For that matter, I'm not always keen on telling someone how much I paid for a certain book. It's like that.

NO its NOT like asking how much you make for a living.

Say I have a 65 Mustang I want to restore that is very similar to one that a guy has already restored..Ive asked a few guys about car restoration and most have no problem telling me what the carpet,engine etc cost them to restore..Whats the big deal..Hey buddy nice paint job What did it set you back?.I need one myself.Never had anyone get offended by that question at all.

In Ops case he would rather not say. Its his call obviously but some of us are curious on what a book like that cost to restore.

Congrats (thumbs u

What exactly is the insinuation? There was no hint of dishonesty towards Ms. Ciccone. I was responding to Transplant's post, as if it were any of your business, with absolutely no regard for Susan Ciccone. The :gossip: implies nothing toward Susan... except in your feeble mind.

You're a fine one to talk. Why don't you man up? If the conversation doesn't flow your way or if you don't agree with what someone has to say, you automatically put them on ignore. You and Red Hook are so much alike... permanently one brick shy of a load.

I have no problem expressing an opinion regarding Ms. Ciccone. I think the work she does is quite good, for her level of skill. For your benefit, I will be a little more blunt. I think the restoration world has passed her by and she should be thankful for every job she gets these days.

I've got plenty of stones, you hypocrite. I don't give a damn about Susan Ciccone or you and my sun doesn't rise or set in the crack of either one of your asses. You are such a jerk. (thumbs u

:popcorn:

Congrats (thumbs u

I apologize for getting into something that doesn't directly relate to me but since we're on an open forum I do have to say that I think this is an unfair characterization.

Steve is one of the nicest and most balanced people on the boards. Bar none.

Although his reaction may have been a little extreme, I can understand it after all the unjustified attacks he's received for being associate with NOD.

God I wish partisan lines didn't exist. This would be a much better place.

+1

I understand that line of thinking when you are buying something and you get a good deal or a bad deal and you wish to keep it private, but in getting a comic restored you are going to pay "X" amount of dollars per hour for however many hours it take to complete. Not much wheeling and dealing going on.

on the price, I don't really discuss that. :shy: but, I will say susan works with me on each book I've had her do, and each time we set a fair balance between the 'goal' of what needs to be done and what she should rightly receive as the fee.

I think if you ever decide to have her restore a book, you'll find the cost to be very reasonable. (thumbs u

I agree about not discussing the price. It is a contract between two people and really no one else's concern.

But beyond that, each book is different and the amount of time required for similar processes can certainly differ. So while two books may undergo "spine reinforcement, cleaning and color touch", the amount of work/time on one book may be much more than what is required for another. If someone says it cost $350 to have that resto done, and another book with similar resto comes back with an estimate of $250, or $500, there is probably (definitely) going to be some kind of uproar.

That Susan says $50-100/hour should be good enough for someone to make the initial call on whether to consult with her, as she will give an estimate before doing anything.

on the price, I don't really discuss that. :shy: but, I will say susan works with me on each book I've had her do, and each time we set a fair balance between the 'goal' of what needs to be done and what she should rightly receive as the fee.

I think if you ever decide to have her restore a book, you'll find the cost to be very reasonable. (thumbs u

I agree about not discussing the price. It is a contract between two people and really no one else's concern.

But beyond that, each book is different and the amount of time required for similar processes can certainly differ. So while two books may undergo "spine reinforcement, cleaning and color touch", the amount of work/time on one book may be much more than what is required for another. If someone says it cost $350 to have that resto done, and another book with similar resto comes back with an estimate of $250, or $500, there is probably (definitely) going to be some kind of uproar.

That Susan says $50-100/hour should be good enough for someone to make the initial call on whether to consult with her, as she will give an estimate before doing anything.

well put! it might be unfair to the submitter and/or susan to put a definite set price on some package, or type, or restoration. I'm sure the same might hold true for matt and others who do restoration. send hi res scans [to whomever] of any book you're thinking of getting restored with a 'want' list of what you'd like to see done.

then, get the estimate. the estimate is only that - an estimate. as long as there aren't any serious issues not covered /presented by sending a scan, then the estimate will likely be very close to what the actual price might be. each book is going to be somewhat different in what it'll take to get the results you want.

well put! it might be unfair to the submitter and/or susan to put a definite set price on some package, or type, or restoration. I'm sure the same might hold true for matt and others who do restoration. send hi res scans [to whomever] of any book you're thinking of getting restored with a 'want' list of what you'd like to see done.

then, get the estimate. the estimate is only that - an estimate. as long as there aren't any serious issues not covered /presented by sending a scan, then the estimate will likely be very close to what the actual price might be. each book is going to be somewhat different in what it'll take to get the results you want.

Good point

Hypocrite? Where is this coming from? Provide one example where my actions have not been consistent with my words. You can't because it hasn't happened.

For people you don't give a damn about, you certainly take every opportunity to bash and denigrate them. You are among the handful of people I typically ignore because you are a one-note Johnny with your tired NOD bashing routine.

And by the way, I am not the one who struts around acting as if I am the titular head of this board. You and your juvenile hive who decide who to pile on, who to blackball and who to bring into the hive. (For those that don't know, Watson runs an ongoing PM thread called the Hive with multiple participants. In this thread, Watson thinks he can pull all the strings and levers to control the discourse here.)

(thumbs u

Hypocrite? Where is this coming from? Provide one example where my actions have not been consistent with my words. You can't because it hasn't happened.

For people you don't give a damn about, you certainly take every opportunity to bash and denigrate them. You are among the handful of people I typically ignore because you are a one-note Johnny with your tired NOD bashing routine.

And by the way, I am not the one who struts around acting as if I am the titular head of this board. You and your juvenile hive who decide who to pile on, who to blackball and who to bring into the hive. (For those that don't know, Watson runs an ongoing PM thread called the Hive with multiple participants. In this thread, Watson thinks he can pull all the strings and levers to control the discourse here.)

(thumbs u

Very interesting! I would like to hear more about this hive! :popcorn:

(thumbs u

Oh, that's rich Steve. I took a shot at NOD the other day because Transplant posted something. We joke back and forth concerning the organization. That's what we do as friends. Other than that, I can't remember the last time I referenced NOD. I really consider the organization to be non consequential at this point.

Head of the boards? I don't think so. I enjoy the boards as a source of entertainment, but that's about it.

A PM thread called the Hive? Are you paranoid or what? Yeah, I have a friendly PM thread with several guys, but it isn't called "The Hive." That sounds like a bad DC criminal organization.

We just finished telling each other fart jokes and talking about if we would rather go to WWChicago or Baltimore next year. There weren't any discussions that centered around piling on, blackballing (maybe a little blue balling) or who to approach for membership. Plus, I'm not the controlling type at all and I have way more sense than to assume that anyone could control the discourse around here. Look what happened to poor Dena.

The notion does make me laugh though. lol

You need to check your source of information, Steve. I believe you've stepped into someone else's delusion. You know how people say, "buy the book, not the label?" I wouldn't buy all the message board gossip either. :gossip: