• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #5 - Susan Ciccone Restoration Lab - before/after

123 posts in this topic

Very interesting! I would like to hear more about this hive! :popcorn:

I feel the good Doctor and I have a fine understanding based on mutual respect and sarcasm. I am saddened I have not been included in the Cabal Hive PMs.

There is no "Hive." If there were, you would be front and center, Michael. I quiet enjoy our jockey sessions. :foryou:

I've got plenty of stones, you hypocrite. I don't give a damn about Susan Ciccone or you and my sun doesn't rise or set in the crack of either one of your asses. You are such a jerk. (thumbs u

For people you don't give a damn about, you certainly take every opportunity to bash and denigrate them.

And by the way, I am not the one who struts around acting as if I am the titular head of this board. You and your juvenile hive who decide who to pile on, who to blackball and who to bring into the hive. (For those that don't know, Watson runs an on going thread)

(thumbs u

Both of these are not true, I'm pretty sure Doc and I are best friends but he takes every opportunity to bash and denigrate me as well :sorry:

Secondly, Watson doesn't run the thread :sumo: and Hive membership isn't up for grabs but something your born into.

Jim

Both of these are not true, I'm pretty sure Doc and I are best friends but he takes every opportunity to bash and denigrate me as well :sorry:

It seems that no Canadian is spared.

lol

I've got plenty of stones, you hypocrite. I don't give a damn about Susan Ciccone or you and my sun doesn't rise or set in the crack of either one of your asses. You are such a jerk. (thumbs u

For people you don't give a damn about, you certainly take every opportunity to bash and denigrate them.

And by the way, I am not the one who struts around acting as if I am the titular head of this board. You and your juvenile hive who decide who to pile on, who to blackball and who to bring into the hive. (For those that don't know, Watson runs an on going thread)

(thumbs u

Secondly, Watson doesn't run the thread :sumo: and Hive membership isn't up for grabs but something your born into.

Jim

Do you have a membership list for us?

(thumbs u

Jim

Do you have a membership list for us?

There is no "membership" list. doh!

It has the same class as me asking how much your car cost or how much you make. It's personal as it's tied into (at least partially) how much the person values the book. For that matter, I'm not always keen on telling someone how much I paid for a certain book. It's like that.

I can go look up how much people pay for cars. I can go to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and figure out how much people in US professions make. I can go to GPA to find out what you might have paid for your Spidey #xxx. But I can't go anywhere neutral to figure out how much it typically costs to restore a comic.

The nature of even asking it in this thread almost certainly isn't personal, it certainly wasn't in my case. It's more to help us figure out whether restoring a comic makes financial sense, as I'm never sure where the cost-to-book-value cutoff is at.

It has the same class as me asking how much your car cost or how much you make. It's personal as it's tied into (at least partially) how much the person values the book. For that matter, I'm not always keen on telling someone how much I paid for a certain book. It's like that.

I can go look up how much people pay for cars. I can go to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and figure out how much people in US professions make. I can go to GPA to find out what you might have paid for your Spidey #xxx. But I can't go anywhere neutral to figure out how much it typically costs to restore a comic.

The nature of even asking it in this thread almost certainly isn't personal, it certainly wasn't in my case. It's more to help us figure out whether restoring a comic makes financial sense, as I'm never sure where the cost-to-book-value cutoff is at.

All of that makes no sense.

The cost of restoring anything, whether a house, car, armoire or comic involves too many variables to reduce it to a simple formula. Restoration cost is tied to the individual article and the specific work it needs and is not based upon the average amount a dozen people have paid to purchase an item over the last year.

I've never tried to figure out how much it typically costs to restore a comic, because there is no "typical" cost, besides the fact that I've had no need. But if I did want to ascertain how much I'd have to pay to get a book to look the way I'd like, I'd simply get quotes from Susan, Matt or Tracey and/or look at their websites. It's not like restoration prices are guarded by some secret cabal. (Like the one Watson runs.)

All of that makes no sense.

The cost of restoring anything, whether a house, car, armoire or comic involves too many variables to reduce it to a simple formula. Restoration cost is tied to the individual article and the specific work it needs and is not based upon the average amount a dozen people have paid to purchase an item over the last year.

I've never tried to figure out how much it typically costs to restore a comic, because there is no "typical" cost, besides the fact that I've had no need. But if I did want to ascertain how much I'd have to pay to get a book to look the way I'd like, I'd simply get quotes from Susan, Matt or Tracey and/or look at their websites. It's not like restoration prices are guarded by some secret cabal. (Like the one Watson runs.)

Well-stated! I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure the OP hasn't posted all of the EXACT details...the original purchase price of the unrestored book...the cost for the restoration = the final total cost for the book...held up against the "market value"...to avoid all of the A - Holes here on the board piling on with their opinions about arriving at the conclusion of what a dum-azz you are yadiyadiyadi...sheeeeez...this playbox is getting beyond annoying...let's see, tomorrow's my birthday and NYEve...maybe one of my resolutions will be to spend less time here... doh!

Well-stated! I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure the OP hasn't posted all of the EXACT details...the original purchase price of the unrestored book...the cost for the restoration = the final total cost for the book...held up against the "market value"...to avoid all of the A - Holes here on the board piling on with their opinions about arriving at the conclusion of what a dum-azz you are yadiyadiyadi...sheeeeez...this playbox is getting beyond annoying...let's see, tomorrow's my birthday and NYEve...maybe one of my resolutions will be to spend less time here... doh!

awww tom, don't sweat it....it's just comics, man. here's my NYE/B'day pres for ya. from the era whence these books came...

enjoy

n. phelge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss02sfQinxI

This is very true. I've had both Susan and Tracey look at books and estimate them for me and it is a very individual thing.

Too many variables.

If anyone is interested in restoring a book, make good pics and scans, send a detailed email to your favorite conservationist and see what they say. It's that easy.

R.

This is very true. I've had both Susan and Tracey look at books and estimate them for me and it is a very individual thing.

Too many variables.

If anyone is interested in restoring a book, make good pics and scans, send a detailed email to your favorite conservationist and see what they say. It's that easy.

R.

Every book is different, but I agree with those who do not see any big deal in just saying what the restoration cost. Jesus, all of this secrecy is like we're talking about the true identity of JFK's assassin or something. :screwy: Lest Foom think he's doing Susan a favor by not saying what it cost, the truth is that it would probably drive business her way if she were a little more open about what each particular job cost so that people don't have to ship her one of their own books just to get basic information about the cost of restoring a particular book. This backwardsass attitude that most of the restoration professionals in this hobby have toward information sharing is just baffling. It's got to be a function of how much comic book fans love drama.

Too many variables.

R.

Every book is different, but I agree with those who do not see any big deal in just saying what the restoration cost. Jesus, all of this secrecy is like we're talking about the true identity of JFK's assassin or something. :screwy: Lest Foom think he's doing Susan a favor by not saying what it cost, the truth is that it would probably drive business her way if she were a little more open about what each particular job cost so that people don't have to ship her one of their own books just to get basic information about the cost of restoring a particular book. This backwardsass attitude that most of the restoration professionals in this hobby have toward information sharing is just baffling. It's got to be a function of how much comic book fans love drama.

I maintain my original stance (several posts up).

I do not understand "so that people don't have to ship her one of their own books just to get basic information about the cost of restoring a particular book." I am sure any restorer can give a broad estimate based on talking about the book and looking at scans. But until the book is in hand, the restorer is not going to have the criteria needed to give a more definitive cost or discuss options in greater detail than scans allow..

It is no one else's business how much someone paid for a particular resto. This is not "secrecy" - just no one's business. Some may feel differently and may freely say how much they paid. But it is an individual's decision and their right based on their own sense of privacy, not "secrecy".

I reiterate from my previous post here, if someone says it cost $350 to have a particular set of resto done, and another book with seemingly similar resto comes back at $250 or $500 (due to more/less time/processes required), there is going to be some kind of uproar.

A beautiful book and a beautiful job.

Proof positive that Susan can color match and press with the best of them.

Congrats (thumbs u

Subtle like sledgehammer.
:gossip:

Why don't you come out and actually say something you silly little girl-man gossip monger? Have the stones to actually defame the woman instead of hiding behind childish insinuations.

Or should you simply be addressed as the Queen Bee?

:busy: :busy: :busy:

What exactly is the insinuation? There was no hint of dishonesty towards Ms. Ciccone. I was responding to Transplant's post, as if it were any of your business, with absolutely no regard for Susan Ciccone. The :gossip: implies nothing toward Susan... except in your feeble mind.

You're a fine one to talk. Why don't you man up? If the conversation doesn't flow your way or if you don't agree with what someone has to say, you automatically put them on ignore. You and Red Hook are so much alike... permanently one brick shy of a load.

I have no problem expressing an opinion regarding Ms. Ciccone. I think the work she does is quite good, for her level of skill. For your benefit, I will be a little more blunt. I think the restoration world has passed her by and she should be thankful for every job she gets these days.

I apologize for getting into something that doesn't directly relate to me but since we're on an open forum I do have to say that I think this is an unfair characterization.

Steve is one of the nicest and most balanced people on the boards. Bar none.

Although his reaction may have been a little extreme, I can understand it after all the unjustified attacks he's received for being associate with NOD.

God I wish partisan lines didn't exist. This would be a much better place.

You know what Roy, I would have thought the same had it not been that I have had a higher than average exposure to other areas of the Web where chatter like this happens.

Let's just say the high school mentality on these boards is tolerable compared to other online communities where you would expect more class and respect amongst peers.

This timely blog post pretty much resonates with the brand of petty, jealousness and in-fighting that I'm describing.

I also agree with your assessment of Steve.

Too many variables.

R.

I understand your frustration on the points about keeping certain information close the vest, but I can also appreciate that some people like to keep what they pay for things to themselves.

With the allegations and characterizations shared thus far in this thread, I can only brace myself for the flurry of stone throwing if and when a scan is taken of the book out of the mylar.

I have no problem expressing an opinion regarding Ms. Ciccone. I think the work she does is quite good, for her level of skill. For your benefit, I will be a little more blunt. I think the restoration world has passed her by and she should be thankful for every job she gets these days.

Look, I have no bone to pick with you, but if you've never met or had any work done by Susan, then I have to say this is the single worst characterization I've read about anyone, anywhere, ever!

Look, I have no bone to pick with you, but if you've never met or had any work done by Susan, then I have to say this is the single worst characterization I've read about anyone, anywhere, ever!

I have had three books restored by Ms. Ciccone.

I have had three books restored by Ms. Ciccone.

Based on your assessment of her, I'm assuming you've since started using Matt?