• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic collector vents on Craigslist

77 posts in this topic

Maybe Im getting old, but I dont get the humour in someone pointing out peoples lack of knowledge selling comics. In particular calling them nut-jobs.

So they are clueless in what they have..so what? Why take the time to make fun of people? What purpose is served? Who cares?

I would agree except for the fact that we both voluntarily spend time on a forum where many people complain far more vociferously about far less annoying things than anything in that craigslist post.

lol

To some extent, this is true. But his tone is laughable because deep down its rooted in petulant hypocrisy which would rob blindly anyone and everyone who might be unaware of the value of their collection.

That's a rather extreme extrapolation, don't you think? I read the post, and all I could glean was that he was angered by many craigslist sellers trying to sell their books without taking the five minutes or so needed for research purposes (go to ebay completed items, and you will find all the info required to find out how valuable your stuff is) .

Didn't spot the hypocrisy, unless you're assuming that everyone who hunts on that site is looking for that elusive killer deal? Bit of a generalization there....

Hardly a generalization. And the hypocrisy is in applying his "real world" perspective on what other people's comics ought to be worth. Not the same yardstick that's carried around when they're storming down on people's inboxes with lowball offers.

Interesting debating skills there, pilgrim. First you claim you're not generalizing, then you provide another unfounded generalization (I bolded that bit).

Explain how venting about auction items automatically means that that someone is out only to rip people off? Just because such things inevitably happen, doesn't mean he's guilty of anything. Boardies here regularly complain about ebay sellers' ignorance, sharp practice, and inability. Does that make them serial lowballers too??

Oh yeah, the real world perspective thing. How dare he bring actual market values into his rant. The cad!!!!

vociferously

petulant

extrapolation

I'm going to try these on some people in my neck of the woods!!! Boston area people are pretty educated but also talk very bluntly. I guarentee one of my buddies would say, "yo what ah you trying to say kid?" lol

lol lol lol lol :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

now this is why i love you boo!

vociferously

petulant

extrapolation

I'm going to try these on some people in my neck of the woods!!! Boston area people are pretty educated but also talk very bluntly. I guarentee one of my buddies would say, "yo what ah you trying to say kid?" lol

lol lol lol lol :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Knew I should've dumbed things down for the peanut gallery. meh

vociferously

petulant

extrapolation

I was able to follow.. .boo. lol

Maybe Im getting old, but I dont get the humour in someone pointing out peoples lack of knowledge selling comics. In particular calling them nut-jobs.

So they are clueless in what they have..so what? Why take the time to make fun of people? What purpose is served? Who cares?

I would agree except for the fact that we both voluntarily spend time on a forum where many people complain far more vociferously about far less annoying things than anything in that craigslist post.

lol

To some extent, this is true. But his tone is laughable because deep down its rooted in petulant hypocrisy which would rob blindly anyone and everyone who might be unaware of the value of their collection.

That's a rather extreme extrapolation, don't you think? I read the post, and all I could glean was that he was angered by many craigslist sellers trying to sell their books without taking the five minutes or so needed for research purposes (go to ebay completed items, and you will find all the info required to find out how valuable your stuff is) .

Didn't spot the hypocrisy, unless you're assuming that everyone who hunts on that site is looking for that elusive killer deal? Bit of a generalization there....

Hardly a generalization. And the hypocrisy is in applying his "real world" perspective on what other people's comics ought to be worth. Not the same yardstick that's carried around when they're storming down on people's inboxes with lowball offers.

I think everyone needs to put their Thesaurus away lol

Yeah, most people wouldn't be able to understand a word of that. What language are those guys speaking, anyway????meh meh

Sounds like the person who placed the ad is angry that he himself found out that most post 1990 books are monetarily worthless and he directed his anger and disappointment at the craigslist sellers. I bet he tried to sell his dreck and found out the harsh reality that most of the books he bought 20 years ago are worth less then a postage stamp it would cost to ship a letter today.

:)

vociferously

petulant

extrapolation

I wuv u 2, boo. lol

Hope those other chaps get a room. :blush:

Sounds like the person who placed the ad is angry that he himself found out that most post 1990 books are monetarily worthless and he directed his anger and disappointment at the craigslist sellers. I bet he tried to sell his dreck and found out the harsh reality that most of the books he bought 20 years ago are worth less then a postage stamp it would cost to ship a letter today.

:)

Nailed it.

lol

Interesting debating skills there, pilgrim. First you claim you're not generalizing, then you provide another unfounded generalization (I bolded that bit).

Explain how venting about auction items automatically means that that someone is out only to rip people off? Just because such things inevitably happen, doesn't mean he's guilty of anything. Boardies here regularly complain about ebay sellers' ignorance, sharp practice, and inability. Does that make them serial lowballers too??

Oh yeah, the real world perspective thing. How dare he bring actual market values into his rant. The cad!!!!

What's with you? Are people with an opinion automatically needing to pass through a debating curriculum with you? And where did the pilgrim comment come from - I haven't heard anyone use that word - wow, not since the black and white TV hit the curb.

Get a grip. It's an opinion, and an anecdotal one based on how I've seen the cards played by folks trawling craiglist and free classifieds. I've been on the selling end of a fair bit and I think I'm entitled to express the same bitterness towards anyone who assumes the role of "authority" when it comes to valuing other people's comics.

You want to defend it, go right ahead. I think its laughable, and we can bundle your insistence on defending it as one big laugh fest - in the John Wayne tradition if that's your thing.

vociferously

petulant

extrapolation

I wuv u 2, boo. lol

we have a room thanks, but i bet you would love to be a fly on that wall :blush:

vociferously

petulant

extrapolation

I wuv u 2, boo. lol

we have a room thanks, but i bet you would love to be a fly on that wall :blush:

Nope. :eek:

Get a grip. It's an opinion, and an anecdotal one based on how I've seen the cards played by folks trawling craiglist and free classifieds. I've been on the selling end of a fair bit and I think I'm entitled to express the same bitterness towards anyone who assumes the role of "authority" when it comes to valuing other people's comics.

Fair enough, if you've had sufficient experience of it, then I'll go with that.

You want to defend it, go right ahead. I think its laughable, and we can bundle your insistence on defending it as one big laugh fest - in the John Wayne tradition if that's your thing.

Awww, the ad hominem attacks. And we were being so civilized.

I wasn't defending anything - just pointing out that the ranter may have a point, and may not be one of those bad folks you've mentioned.

And I always preferred Clint Eastwood, myself.

I wasn't defending anything - just pointing out that the ranter may have a point, and may not be one of those folks you've mentioned.

Fair enough.

You know, I didn't watch any of the spaghetti westerns until about 3 years ago. I gotta agree with you on Clint Eastwood.

I wasn't defending anything - just pointing out that the ranter may have a point, and may not be one of those folks you've mentioned.

Fair enough.

You know, I didn't watch any of the spaghetti westerns until about 3 years ago. I gotta agree with you on Clint Eastwood.

He rocks. Definitely cooler than Wayne.

Fair enough.

Get off your horse and stick your hands up, ya bum.

Fair enough.

Get off your horse and stick your hands up, ya bum.

Good thing you put that comma in there. lol

I understand every single one of those words. I have a college degree and work in a science field...Oh and to address BOO! lol It's a funny nickname. Not trying to talk in ebonics or anything! hah

I just don't talk like that and thought it was funny. That's all. No biggie!

To add a little to the thread and not just be a troll...

I agree that those ads are annoying. So are ebay auctions that are similar. It's laughable but not worth getting bent out of shape about as well.

It goes along with the whole thing about how people thought they would get rich with comics they bought in the 90s with the Death of Superman and all that. Those people bought like crazy for a period of 2-3 years then dropped off the comic world. Basically they come back completely unaware that the garbage they bought back then is still garbage.

Once in a while you'll find some cool stuff on craigslist though.

I'm looking for a vintage arcade cocktail to restore for my comic room. Craigslist is really the only way to find a good deal locally. It's harder to shop on ebay because shipping for them is absurd.

But for comics, craigslist stinks!