• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic collector vents on Craigslist

77 posts in this topic

vociferously

petulant

extrapolation

I'm going to try these on some people in my neck of the woods!!! Boston area people are pretty educated but also talk very bluntly. I guarentee one of my buddies would say, "yo what ah you trying to say kid?" lol

"C'mon on down to 20 Guest Street, kid, I'll hang a beatin' on ya!" -- L.B. Lyndon Byers. :sumo:

Get off your horse and stick your hands up, ya bum.

Good thing you put that comma in there. lol

lol Good one boo (thumbs u

I wasn't defending anything - just pointing out that the ranter may have a point, and may not be one of those folks you've mentioned.

And I always preferred Clint Eastwood, myself.

Fair enough.

You know, I didn't watch any of the spaghetti westerns until about 3 years ago. I gotta agree with you on Clint Eastwood.

He rocks. Definitely cooler than Wayne.

Get off your horse and stick your hands up, ya bum.

Good thing you put that comma in there. lol

That was an actual line out of a film I saw back in my teens, I'm pretty sure it was a John Wayne film. I near as damn it pissed myself laughing when I heard it.

I think there are a couple of issues here. One is, is the guy right in his estimation of prices? Another issue is, would a reasonable man vent on Craig's list?

I find myself in a position similar to the Craig's list sellers. I have, now, about 2000 comics that I don't want. None of them are very collectable to the sort of person that frequents these board. None of them are in ultra-high grade. None of them are hot books. None of them are remotely flippable. None of them are rare books that are in high demand.

BUT many of them are enjoyable reads, some of them have high profile characters, and many of them will fill in collections that are not very valuable. Some of them have about the best art you will ever see in comics. Many of them are hard to find Canadian comics (if you are into Canadian comics).

I tried selling them on this message board years ago and I did make some money but it wasn't easy. It involved scanning, lots of emailing back and forth, lots of people fishing for bargains, careful grading and running back and forth to the post office. I had one person send back an order-- he was completely right. I had inadvertently overgraded a key book; but it was a huge pain in the posterior.

I look at the junk I have in those boxes now. What is the value of Eclipse's two issues of the early work of Seigel and Shuster? I know the answer-- nothing to me, nothing on this board. Right now no one wants either of them. But they are a piece of comic book history and they are worth a lot to someone somewhere. On boxing day I had a long talk with a car buff about Big Daddy Roth. I haven't sold my Rat Fink Comics but they are worth a lot to him. I will give them to him. Not one person on this board has the first comic by Dean Motter-- Celestial Circuit Circus. I did. I gave it to Peter Halasz who considers himself sort a custodian of Canadian comics. He loves it.

I live in a high pedestrian traffic neighbourhood called the Beaches area in Toronto. I had far more success putting out my comics on my front lawn on a Saturday than I did on this board. And I did it with far less trouble. I had steady traffic, steady sales at low prices and lots of fascinating conversations. I met one guy who wrote the initial draft of Blues Brothers with Dan Aykroyd, or as his son put it "Uncle Dan". I met another guy who was involved in the Humane Society of Ontario and had tremendous insight into breaking news about the Toronto Human Society. I initially sold (and then refunded the money) to the grandson of one of my favourite professors of 35 years ago. I met a man from Italy, two women from France and a lady from England who all wanted to buy comics that were Canadian in tone for the folks back home. Plus I had conversation about comics with the usual geeks, nerds, jerks and connoisseurs of fine fiction.

I rented a table at a local convention and made some money the first time as people cherry picked the underpriced books. The second time I didn' t do as well. But people who walk by my house find significant intrinsic value in my comics.

I have a Craig's list add that I put up on December 30th. I have had four people come by so far, each taking away stuff that is meaningless to me, almost certainly meaningless to you board members, but has intrinsic value to them. I sold half my Cerebus the Aardvarks yesterday.

I will keep renewing the Craig's list ad until about April. Then I will try to get a table at a local SF convention called Pulp Con then once again at an SF event at a local library. I will then have a final garage sale. As the collection dwindles I will open my boxes to my friends for books that may interest them. What's left will go to a the neighbourhood kids and the school I used to work at.

Anyway, the fellow can vent anywhere where people will read him. He certainly started an interesting thread here by doing so. He understands prices among people like us but the prices we pay are not the prices that casual readers will pay. And he doesn't factor in value as something separate from price.