• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A look back on the 2009 CGC Forum highs and lows!

53 posts in this topic

High points:

Nik's fundraiser and other fundraisers.

Many great sales threads.

Out-of-Context thread.

Low points:

TFL

Conor

BucOne

Nik's passing.

Mound City Auctions.

High points:

Nik's fundraiser and other fundraisers.

Many great sales threads.

Out-of-Context thread.

Low points:

TFL

Conor

BucOne

Nik's passing.

Mound City Auctions.

On the money (thumbs u Conner/Capfreak came as such a surprise to me,I thought he was a good kid when first meeting him.Then another low for me was comicgrinder I really felt bad for the guy,no man should go through what he did.when he was out of work I told him about an opening at my office as a pest control technician making 80K a year,he told me that was beneath him.Then when he was down and out he calls me asking if I could still get him that job,yeah! now because of the economy,people are being laid off,sure James I'll call to see if there are still openings anywhere in the company,nothing.I call James to let him know I could not find anything,he gives me a O.K.whatever,and I have not heard from him since. :pullhair:

low point, Connor, from the Scam McCloud:

And the shame is he was given multiple chances by folks on here even when a large portion were burned by him, and he still messed that up. Even showed up at the California dinner and forumites cut him a break after a little bit of a ribbing.

I wonder if Steve had known of Connor's sales fiasco responses before taking him along, as there were quite a few warning signs in that engagement alone this kid was long gone.

:(

HIGHS:

All the great charity auctions for Nik's family, Silvers24, and Comicgrinder. I was simply awestruck at the boardies who stepped up. (worship) And where were the rest of you... meh

Out of context thread was a lot of fun.

All the fools that got banned this year. Watching some of the meltdowns were HI-larious. :roflmao: e-n-t-e-t-a-i-n-m-e-n-t

Sales thread(s) of the year goes to Foolkiller. Though I only wish two of his hadn't coincided with my meager threads. :( Seriously, those were some way crazy threads!

Meeting boardies: I met a lot of boardies this last year and have made some great friends.

My SDCC board report, which was mostly done while I was stuck at the San Diego airport trying to get home on my birthday. :ohnoez:

Winning exactly what I wanted in the Christmas Raffle!!! :ohnoez::grin::ohnoez: Condolences to pirate.

LOWS:

The loss of friends and family experienced by all of my fellow boardies. 2009 was a terrible year for this, and I'm speaking firsthand. :sorry:

djpinkpanther69 (Thomas) exiting the boards. Thomas, I hope you're doing well wherever you are. :cry:

Not being able to meet Nik. :(

The Cap Freak fiascos involving ripped off boardies and Connor shi tting all over his would-be mentor Steve Borock. This stupid kid had it all going for him and blew it out his azz sideways. Who flakes off breakfast with Steve Borock and Maggie Thompson? Nimrod. :screwy:

The shipping problems with Mound City. :(

TFL burning Filter81 over The Human Torch purchase. Wow. :o That and the number of people on probation. You can also add the Comic Supply fiasco.

All the stupid pressing threads. You either press or you don't. You either disclose or you don't. You accept pressing as resto or you don't. End of story (for me). :whee:

Not seeing the Roy vs. Watson cage fight come to fruition. I had high hopes that have been crushed. :kidaround:

Having to send my Secret Santa gift out late. :blush:

HIGH and LOW: Signing Nik's cel and having had a great PM exchange with him during his grading contest.

Low's

Nik's passing - although I never got to meet him in person, the grading contest was the chance that I had to trade some PMs with him. He was a nice guy all around, from what I saw afterwards.

All the dang pressing threads - come on, guys, really?

The pizzing contests that arise from time to time. Some are entertaining, but most are just a waste of time when one mo-ron thinks he's right when it's clear to everyone else that he/she screwed things up and just doesn't want to admit fault because their brains are as puny as their self esteem.

The monetary woes from the folks on the boards was a reflection of the times - when there's a sticky on the main page called "The official "I'm looking for a job" thread. Post yours here! " then you know things are bad.

How AlleyBat got back on the boards to create more havoc is beyond me.

Not seeing Cal lurk through the boards. Always someone who spoke his mind, but I respected that of him.

High's

The Baltimore Lauren/Paratrooper Romance...now that was classic!

Having met a few boardies at the Emerald City dinner was awesome.

Being able to get first dibs at some of your ASM collections (with my meager budget).

The good guys on the boards like Flee Marquette, Designer Toast, Ciorac, Count and Cloudofwit made this year fun.

The fundraisers were emotional - it was great to see how a bunch of mostly strangers got together through this medium and came through for other strangers. I applaud all of you that participated. :applause:

And many other tiny rays of sunshine that come out from time to time.

It's funny, because the number of pressing threads now, while still annoying, is nothing compared to the height of pressing mania. I left the boards for a while because you simply couldn't have a thread, about anything without it devolving into a pressing thread. I basically started to hate everyone on both sides and figured it was time to leave. Nowadays? It's not so bad.

I guess it's kind of like after getting stabbed in the gut with a broken bottle, you stub your toe. Stubbing your toe hurts, but compared to getting stabbed in the gut a broken bottle it's not too bad... (shrug)

High's

The Baltimore Lauren/Paratrooper Romance...now that was classic!

How did I forget about that?! :roflmao: c-l-a-s-s-i-c

Having met a few boardies at the Emerald City dinner was awesome.

Being able to get first dibs at some of your ASM collections (with my meager budget).

The good guys on the boards like Flee Marquette, Designer Toast, Ciorac, Count and Cloudofwit made this year fun.

:acclaim:

Claudio, it was great meeting you and your daughter at ECCC. Dinner was a blast and I'm sure this year will be even better! :headbang:

It's funny, because the number of pressing threads now, while still annoying, is nothing compared to the height of pressing mania. I left the boards for a while because you simply couldn't have a thread, about anything without it devolving into a pressing thread. I basically started to hate everyone on both sides and figured it was time to leave. Nowadays? It's not so bad.

I guess it's kind of like after getting stabbed in the gut with a broken bottle, you stub your toe. Stubbing your toe hurts, but compared to getting stabbed in the gut a broken bottle it's not too bad... (shrug)

lol

(worship)

That is a great analogy :applause: