• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

I find the best thing with the 8300, is to download the huge 200mb driver package direct from their website (customer service? .. why bother contacting them, when you can do everything yourself at the touch of a button?).

Once downloaded, open it just like you would any other program; and make a Custom Setting of 300dpi and scan on the Extreme setting.

Works for me and produces absolutely gob-smacking results.

Amazon reviews? .. don't waste your time with them. The 8300 is an awesome scanner and perfectly suited fr our hobby.

I find the best thing with the 8300, is to download the huge 200mb driver package direct from their website (customer service? .. why bother contacting them, when you can do everything yourself at the touch of a button?).

Once downloaded, open it just like you would any other program; and make a Custom Setting of 300dpi and scan on the Extreme setting.

Works for me and produces absolutely gob-smacking results.

Amazon reviews? .. don't waste your time with them. The 8300 is an awesome scanner and perfectly suited fr our hobby.

That's good to hear! Mine should be arriving next week.

As for the drivers on the HP website, I downloaded all of the most recent files, including the firmware update. When I first install the scanner, is there a certain order I should do things in to avoid problems? Are there some files from HP that I should not install? I'm using Windows 7 x64. Thanks!

Here we are, Sir! ..

Windows 7 64 Bit

Description Current version Size (MB) Estimated download time Previous version  

HP Scanjet Full Feature Software and Driver 14.5.1

26 Nov 2012 193.7 56K: 7h

512K: 51m  

The wording above, is taken directly from link page. The above link will take you there and its the only thing you should need to download. You could go for the ultra-quick basic driver, but that really doesn't use the 8300 to its full capability.

Edited by Kenners

Here we are, Sir! ..

Windows 7 64 Bit

Description Current version Size (MB) Estimated download time Previous version  

HP Scanjet Full Feature Software and Driver 14.5.1

26 Nov 2012 193.7 56K: 7h

512K: 51m  

The wording above, is taken directly from link page. The above link will take you there and its the only thing you should need to download. You could go for the ultra-quick basic driver, but that really doesn't use the 8300 to its full capability.

Do I need the firmware update?

For the 8300 owners amongst us ..

I've been tinkering. I did end up installing the Firmware update for a couple of reasons. The end result being that with the full, slow download of the main drivers installed .. the update makes for a quieter scan.

The other reason I did it (and not to scare anyone), is that I got an error message 'ROM Code Failed! Please Download FW!!'

Having pooped mysel, I did a Google search for answers (and having already downloaded the FW Update previously), I applied the update (as the answers said to do) .. and initially nothing happened (after following the instructions).

This is what worked for me, and got me my scanner back ..

Remove and re-apply (re-screw) the grey ADF lead at the back of the scanner. Turn power back on .. Hey, presto! .. Scanner back to normal.

I just thought I'd point this out if anyone gets that dreaded error message.

OK, my new factory-sealed HP Scanjet 8300 arrived. I set it up, installed the latest drivers (my firmware was already up to date), and started scanning.

The first scan went well and came out beautifully! I was so happy!

Second scan, the drive belt either started slipping or got stuck. This resulted in the light bar locking about 90% through the scan, and, worst of all, the unit starting making a very loud grinding noise. Now the light bar is still locked up and the grinding noise starts whenever the unit is powered on. I turned it off and restarted a couple of times, but no luck. The unit seems to have locked up. I checked the serial number at HP's site and the warranty is expired. I also checked the web and it appears that the only solution is a service call, which would cost who knows how much. I already spent a LOT on this scanner as it was factory sealed.

Unless anybody knows an easy fix to this problem, the scanner is getting returned. I know I will get my money back, but the roughly $50 it is going to cost to ship this back is upsetting. I don't think I will be reimbursed for the return shipping, will I? I bought this on Ebay with Paypal.

Thanks.

Yeah, really sorry to hear about your problems. I'm pretty sure not every 8300 has the same grinding problem, so (unfortunately) I'd have to say you just got a bad one. So sorry.

I think the first thing I'd do, is get back in touch with the seller and see exactly where you stand regarding the shipping with this.

I've done some more reading on HP scanners in general and a lot of them have experienced a grinding noise. It apparently has something to do with the light bar not being able to align itself properly? Some people have fixed it with a reset of the scanner (not just turning it off and on, but holding down some buttons at startup). However, I cannot find anything the internet about how to reset the 8300.

Another possible reason is that the mirrors or glass are dirty, which causes the light bar not to be able to align itself properly. I can't imagine this is causing my problem because the scanner is fresh out of the box and is spotless.

There are also some posts on the internet that indicate the HP software is causing the freezing issue.

I just need to figure out how to reset the scanner and make the grinding noise stop so that I can try some other software.

I've done some more reading on HP scanners in general and a lot of them have experienced a grinding noise. It apparently has something to do with the light bar not being able to align itself properly? Some people have fixed it with a reset of the scanner (not just turning it off and on, but holding down some buttons at startup). However, I cannot find anything the internet about how to reset the 8300.

Another possible reason is that the mirrors or glass are dirty, which causes the light bar not to be able to align itself properly. I can't imagine this is causing my problem because the scanner is fresh out of the box and is spotless.

There are also some posts on the internet that indicate the HP software is causing the freezing issue.

I just need to figure out how to reset the scanner and make the grinding noise stop so that I can try some other software.

I did find this on the net, relating how to do a hard reset ..

http://www.fixya.com/support/t991857-scanner_problem

First try a hard reset. Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on an HP Scanjet Scanner.

1. Disconnect all cables from the scanner.

2. Lock and unlock any carriage lock.

3. Place the scanner on a flat and level surface.

4. Wait at least 5 seconds after disconnecting the cables before re-connecting any cables for testing or troubleshooting.

Edited by Kenners

I found the problem. There appears to be a piece of foam that has come dislodged and is jamming the light bar. I could probably fix this if I take the unit apart. However, the unit may still be under warranty, so I will go that route first. If I take it apart, I will probably void the warranty. I somehow knew this would happen when I bought it...

Here is a pic.

20130618_182918_zps618f682b.jpg

Here is the ONE scan that I was able to do before the thing jammed! No enhancements were made to the scan! This is why I hope this scanner can be fixed.

StarWarsDarkEmpire1GoldCGC98WA_zps4949ffeb.jpg

Edited by Kaptain Kollektor

I have to say that I am impressed with HP's customer service, so far!

They agreed to honor my warranty, and they are sending me a whole new scanner for free. I can send the old one back to them with free shipping too!

I just hope nothing goes wrong with the new one...

I've tried to follow this thread and compile a list of scanners that are good/not so good, take note of image capture types, sizes....scan techniques.

I'm still not sure what I'm after but I'm sure the guy at BestBuy is going to punch me in my face.

I'm with you. I've been following along and still far from knowing what might be the best replacement for my defunct scanner. Some of the scanners prominently mentioned here were introduced years ago and are no longer in production. Makes me wonder whether I would be opening myself up to compatibility problems, particularly since I now use a Mac. hm

Hado and anyone skimming this thread for info:

Most scanners produced in the past 5 years or newer use LED as a source for lighting. LED isn't suited to handle the job of capturing a scan of a comic suspended between a plastic holder and inner well.

BestBuy is LED heaven and will require at minimum a second trip to return your scanner, and possibly a punch in the face if they know you actually knew about this thread and still went ahead and bought a scanner from them.

Legal scanners are usually special order, and you need a platen spec that has the physical dimensions of a legal size spec, not a scanner that simulates a legal size scan through virtual means.

Long and short, you will need to make a list of the scanners make/models that have been shown in this thread, and hit craigslist or kijiji searching those specific makes/models.

The reason why these legal size makes and models work with plastic-fat CGC slabs is because they used flourescent lighting, which produces a brighter image during capture.

Scanners using flourescent lighting means they will most likely be older models, but I would stick with models that at least use USB to allow compatibility with more current operating systems and computing hardware. Parallel/SCSI interfaces will force a scanning station spec that will require the use of older PC hardware so steer clear of these.

Finally, I was successful in finding my scanner by buying it through a business equipment retailer that refurbishes old office equipment. The nice thing about buying it using this method is that the equipment can be tested right in the store, and usually comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.

The other thing I noticed is that the HP scanner model I bought/use has a decent track record as far as consumer reliability and IMHO exceeds the requirements when it comes to scanning CGC slabs.

Well after months of searching for the scanners recommended in this thread, and coming up empty handed, I figured I would bite the bullet and just buy an A4 scanner and then take two scans for each comic and stitch them together to get a full scan of the slabs... Maybe stitch them along the bottom of the CGC label line or something - where it wouldn't impact the cover.

Then I read that bit about the LEDs. :ohnoez::frustrated:

I dunno if I'm ever gonna be able to scan my books at this rate. I don't know how you guys are managing to find older model stock where you are - but there is sweet f.a. where i am.