• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

That's excellent advice! Thanks very much. I'll try it as soon as I get back from work tonight (thumbs u

EDIT:

.. and here we go ..

Cap601NEW001_zps5ff1dd95.jpg

Edited by Kenners

How are you guys using the normal size scanners and getting the entire CGC case in the photo? Are you using some software to stitch two photos together? The CGC cases are a little over 8" wide by about 13" long, over an inch longer than the glass on a normal size scanner. The full size document scanners have 14" beds, which is perfect, but the prices are insane and I can't find a deal right now on an older used one to use with my Mac.

Thanks for any replies.

How are you guys using the normal size scanners and getting the entire CGC case in the photo? Are you using some software to stitch two photos together? The CGC cases are a little over 8" wide by about 13" long, over an inch longer than the glass on a normal size scanner. The full size document scanners have 14" beds, which is perfect, but the prices are insane and I can't find a deal right now on an older used one to use with my Mac.

Thanks for any replies.

+1 to this.

I desperately need to get "iphone bed photos" out of my registry set.

OK, I see on eBay I can get a 7400c (search for 7710 which is the actual model number, per HP's website/manual) for around $60-80 shipped, U.S. I guess I'll try one of those. Can't find any on CL near me right now and would really like to get some books scanned soon.

Thanks for all the posts in this thread, it has been very valuable.

Edited by Cocacolakid

I bougt a used/ refurbished HP 8300 which uses CDC scan imaging which is better than the LED scanners. I bought a Brother all in one with the LED scanner and it went right back in the box and returned after a bunch of bad scans with terrible glare thhat could not be fixed. My advice is avoid the newer LED scanners.

I still have to figure out settings for actual color as some books look great and others don't

Well, I ordered a HP 7400c only to have the seller tell me it wouldn't work when he tested it before starting to box it up. I'm glad he's an honest guy, so he sent a refund.

Then I found an HP 8300 which looks like it might suit me better, has modern Mac 10.8 drivers available on HP's website. Ordered and on the way.

HP 8250 Sample (it works better if you leave the top open)

Top closed (you get reflections)

Ryan, what settings are you using for Sharpness and Resolution? I think the default is Medium and 200 DPI. Did you leave them alone or adjust them at all?

I just got my hp scanjet 8250 but I don't have any scanner software to use it with or does it matter? ArcSoft..but I don't want to pay $79.00 if I can help it..

Photoshop?

Also I just bought an iMac so not sure what drivers I need but I'll do a google/bing search and see what I can find.

I'll let you know when I actually take some scans.

I just got my hp scanjet 8250 but I don't have any scanner software to use it with or does it matter? ArcSoft..but I don't want to pay $79.00 if I can help it..

Photoshop?

Also I just bought an iMac so not sure what drivers I need but I'll do a google/bing search and see what I can find.

I'll let you know when I actually take some scans.

There is a link to the drivers a few pages back (that's what I used).

Regarding settings. Create a custom scan file (can't explain how to do this, but you should see an option in the software). I picked legal size scan, 300 dpi. 600 is too much and it takes the scanner longer (and creates bigger file sizes). You can auto crop, or manually crop/brighten in the main program.

How are you guys using the normal size scanners and getting the entire CGC case in the photo?

Is this possible? Cocacolakid has my hopes very high at this point....

ItsJustRyan says, "ItsJustDoenstWork"

How are you guys using the normal size scanners and getting the entire CGC case in the photo?

Is this possible? Cocacolakid has my hopes very high at this point....

ItsJustRyan says, "ItsJustDoenstWork"

Call me a Waaaaaah-mbulance.

WOW. My HP 8300 arrived today, took about 5 mins to set up with my Mac running 10.8 - first I tried using the HP drivers on their website but the scanner didn't appear under the Add printer/scanner section of System Preferences. But just for kicks I installed VueScan and launched it. It detected the HP and works perfectly, no HP drivers needed on my Mac. It still doesn't show under System Preferences as an installed, but it works great. Amazing. And VueScan is really nice, easy to use software.

My first scan...only used auto color correct in Preview after it was scanned. I'm sure VueScan has far more options that I need to learn to get the best scans but this is already making me happy...

137574.jpg.3201383f18cf1a89ae7d8a8e99af2a63.jpg