• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

Definitely look for an HP 8300. I see you are in Australia, not sure they were available there, maybe they had a different model number. I bought this one for $57 shipped on eBay U.S., but the box is so large it would cost you a fortune to ship to Australia even if the seller was willing. (And the seller had 2 or 3 left as of last night.) I was a little hesitant to order from this seller, there are a handful of bad feedback, but the next closest price was double what I paid so I took a chance, glad I did. They didn't even send me a tracking number, it just arrived two days later without a heads up.

Very happy so far.

VueScan costs $40, well worth it. They make it for Mac, Windows, Linux, even iPads.

Did a couple WWBN (big Moon Knight fan), one with cover closed and pressing down gently and one with the cover open. Closed and pressing down slightly on the lid gives a better scan, IMO. Iron Man 1 had a minor rainbow reflection at the bottom of the case until I pressed down as well.

Right now I have VueScan set to scan at 200dpi, color photo, 8x14, and am manually cropping and adjusting the color using Preview.

I'll play around more but these are pretty nice scans, IMO, without doing much work, and this scanner scans very quickly, like 20 seconds or less. I was thinking older scanners would take forever to scan. I'm sure if I turned the DPI up it would take longer but these look good at 200 dpi.

137576.jpg.681f37a7a7506d29617b64e5ab792595.jpg

137577.jpg.8ee572f8cb58175c24d174f788ff638b.jpg

I'm really happy with my 8300. At first, I used the simple driver from the link, but after a week or so, I tried it with the other, much larger driver download.

Yes, it's slower, but the results: ... AWESOME!

I created a custom setting, set at 300dpi (the default is 200dpi) and used the highest, enhanced setting. The results are well worth the slightly longer time it takes to scan.

.. just another "two thumbs up" for potential 8300 buyers :)

Definitely look for an HP 8300. I see you are in Australia, not sure they were available there, maybe they had a different model number. I bought this one for $57 shipped on eBay U.S., but the box is so large it would cost you a fortune to ship to Australia even if the seller was willing. (And the seller had 2 or 3 left as of last night.) I was a little hesitant to order from this seller, there are a handful of bad feedback, but the next closest price was double what I paid so I took a chance, glad I did. They didn't even send me a tracking number, it just arrived two days later without a heads up.

Very happy so far.

VueScan costs $40, well worth it. They make it for Mac, Windows, Linux, even iPads.

http://www.computeronline.com.au/products.php?C_ID=44&S_ID=66&PROD=9510

:ohnoez:

So I have mountain lion for my mac and I was looking into the hp scanjet 8250 that many people recommended and it isn't compatible. Anyone have any recommendations for Mac OS X 10.8? I have an all-in-one officejet pro 8600 but quality is awful and I'm looking for an upgrade. Any help would be much appreciated.

According to the HP website, the 8250 is compatible with Macs and OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

Here's the link.

Great! I'll see if the instructions will work for my HP 8250! Glad you posted the link. (thumbs u

So what driver did you download for the HP 8300? I got mine a couple weeks ago still playing around with settings

thanks

I got mine straight from the HP website (it's a big download, over 200mb). The main thing is using the 'Extreme' setting. That's the setting that gives the best result, imho.

Just pulled the Ebay trigger on a used but intact HP 8300...can't wait!!!

:applause: that's the kind I'm looking at. What's a reasonable price on a used one?

About $100 or less. The one I bought off eBay this week was $57 shipped. The next cheapest was about $110 shipped, which was a nicer looking auction with better feedback than the seller I purchased from, but mine arrived in excellent working condition in about 36 hours. Great deal. The seller had 4 at the time I bought one and shows 3 more left. Do an eBay search or PM me for a link, I don't want to post an eBay auction link here, not sure if that's against site rules.

Edited by Cocacolakid