• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

Another scan from my HP 7400 C legal scanner. I am still playing with the settings. I sure like the scan of the book above this post on the 8250, I need to keep trying mine out to see if I can get results like it.

FamousFunnies209_zps9294a382.jpg

I think you need a lot of work. You'd better scan the rest of your collection and well let you know what scans we like.

it might very well take that long to find the settings I like! :gossip:

I need to get a new printer and thought I might as well get the scanner included.

I am looking for a low/medium level for light printing and raw book scans

Undecided between 2 models:

Epson Expression Home XP-405

http://www.trustedreviews.com/epson-expression-home-xp-405_Printer_specs

Scan resolution 1200 x 2400

HP Photosmart 5520 specifications

http://www.trustedreviews.com/hp-photosmart-5520_Printer_specs

Scan resolution 1200 x 1200

The Epson has higher max res but the guy at the store told me that I should never need the maximum res unless for large photo manipulation.

Epson inks and maintenance are a lot higher

Price for both are exactly the same.

Any advice?

I need to get a new printer and thought I might as well get the scanner included.

The Epson has higher max res but the guy at the store told me that I should never need the maximum res unless for large photo manipulation.

Any advice?

For slabs or raws?

If for slabs, you have to find out if these scanners use a CCD imaging process. If they do not, you will not get good results from it.

If for raws, you may need to tinker w/ the settings but both would be very serviceable for your needs.

Any advice?

For slabs or raws?

If for slabs, you have to find out if these scanners use a CCD imaging process. If they do not, you will not get good results from it.

If for raws, you may need to tinker w/ the settings but both would be very serviceable for your needs.

Raws.

I think I might go with the Epson. From what I read, the scanning software is more complete + the max res is higher.

I really only use the printer for text printing and my current Epson has served me well for a long time.

Thanks

Hi all,

Noob here with some issues... maybe you guys can help.

My old computer (2001 model) using Windows XP Pro crapped out a short time ago. Time to upgrade anyway so I now have a new HP using Windows 7.

On my old computer I was using a Canon Canoscan LiDE 50 which produces beautiful scans of raw books but evidently the driver is not compatible with my new OS because of TWAIN issues. Meaning the driver did not install because it is outdated or it just doesn't communicate with my newer OS. I've searched the web and found numerous sources for a driver upgrade but those don't work.

I have not read this entire Thread, but I have seen and read many positive things about this HP Scanjet 8250. Maybe time to upgrade the scanner as well.

This Thread also seems to be somewhat photo-editor related as well, so I'll throw this in,...

My copy of Photoshop 5.0.2 is also not compatible with my new OS. And like the scanner, I have searched the web for upgrades for this version and they do not work as well. I created my Avatar using U-Lead PhotoImpact 7 and an image I downloaded from the net, but I can do better work with Photoshop.

I am probably going to answer my own question here, but I was just curious with the feedback.

Answer is: Buy an HP Scanjet 8250 so you can create cool scans again, and spend a lot of money on a newer version of Photoshop so you can play again. :D

Thanks in advance. :hi:

I bought an HP ScanJet 8250 online today. I'm hoping for good things. This thread steered me in that direction. I guess I'll find out if it was a wise investment in a few days.

I bought an HP ScanJet 8250 online today. I'm hoping for good things. This thread steered me in that direction. I guess I'll find out if it was a wise investment in a few days.

That's what I got, too. Really easy to use.

I got one a while back. Great investment. I was able to scan close to 60 slabs in a little over an hour with very minimal post editing needed on the images.

My copy of Photoshop 5.0.2 is also not compatible with my new OS. And like the scanner, I have searched the web for upgrades for this version and they do not work as well. I created my Avatar using U-Lead PhotoImpact 7 and an image I downloaded from the net, but I can do better work with Photoshop.

I am probably going to answer my own question here, but I was just curious with the feedback.

Answer is: Buy an HP Scanjet 8250 so you can create cool scans again, and spend a lot of money on a newer version of Photoshop so you can play again. :D

If all you're doing is photo editing and not necessarily photo manipulation or image creation, take a look at Adobe Lightroom. It's what I use to make minor adjustments to my scans. You should be able to download a 30 day trial form Adobe to give it a try. It is definitely a much cheaper way to go than Photoshop and it's also a great way to organize images.

My current workflow is:

1. Scan using the HP scanner software at 200dpi and scan the full image without cropping (I could crop via the HP software but i'd rather handle that elsewhere).

2. Save as a tiff file to a specific folder.

3. In Lightroom have it monitor and automatically add the images from the specific folder.

4. Make minor adjustments and cropping in Lightroom.

5. Export at whatever size I need the files to be depending on how i'm going to use it.

The best part about using Lightroom is the fact that it's non-destructive. It won't make any of the changes directly to the file itself. This way if later i want to make a different change to the file, I won't have to rescan.

I got one a while back. Great investment. I was able to scan close to 60 slabs in a little over an hour with very minimal post editing needed on the images.

If all you're doing is photo editing and not necessarily photo manipulation or image creation, take a look at Adobe Lightroom. It's what I use to make minor adjustments to my scans. You should be able to download a 30 day trial form Adobe to give it a try. It is definitely a much cheaper way to go than Photoshop and it's also a great way to organize images.

My current workflow is:

1. Scan using the HP scanner software at 200dpi and scan the full image without cropping (I could crop via the HP software but i'd rather handle that elsewhere).

2. Save as a tiff file to a specific folder.

3. In Lightroom have it monitor and automatically add the images from the specific folder.

4. Make minor adjustments and cropping in Lightroom.

5. Export at whatever size I need the files to be depending on how i'm going to use it.

The best part about using Lightroom is the fact that it's non-destructive. It won't make any of the changes directly to the file itself. This way if later i want to make a different change to the file, I won't have to rescan.

Normally after I edit a scan I save it under a different name in case I need to go back to the original. I never heard of Lightroom but I'll definitely check it out. Adobe has some good stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

Hey guys I have a HP 8300 anyone care to share the settings that you have the best results with right now I scan at 300 dpi and Brightness at 20 and Contrast of 100. Then I have to fix the saturation a bit to get truer color of the book.

It also seems to vary book to book with slabs some inner wells are still shiny and give off glare while others end up great. Raw books are perfect

I have a HP 8250 scanner, I like it alot. Once an image is scanned and saved, first thing to do it raise the black level, comes out a dark grey at first. There is a tip for you! :)

How do you raise the black level once the image is scanned/saved? hm

I do all of the adjustments before I scan the image via "Preview".

Generally I use 300 DPI, Brightness 60, Contrast 70

But it still isn't as sharp as other people's scans I see and can never figure out the black levels/contrast? ???

Hey guys I have a HP 8300 anyone care to share the settings that you have the best results with right now I scan at 300 dpi and Brightness at 20 and Contrast of 100. Then I have to fix the saturation a bit to get truer color of the book.

It also seems to vary book to book with slabs some inner wells are still shiny and give off glare while others end up great. Raw books are perfect

Can you post a scan of a book so we can see what you're doing wrong?

I have a HP 8250 scanner, I like it alot. Once an image is scanned and saved, first thing to do it raise the black level, comes out a dark grey at first. There is a tip for you! :)

But it still isn't as sharp as other people's scans I see and can never figure out the black levels/contrast? ???

After the scan is saved on my desktop, I click on "Adjust Color" in the tool bar and adjust it that way. I'll post before and after scans

After the scan is saved on my desktop, I click on "Adjust Color" in the tool bar and adjust it that way. I'll post before and after scans

When it's saved on your desktop though, what program do you use to "Adjust Color"?

Hi all,

Been following this thread for a while. It seems like most of the suggestions are around getting second-hand scanners. I haven't tried these models but I'm glad they are working out for folks. What I'd like to know is if anyone has ideas "if money were no object" - i.e. professional imaging equipment, high-end scanners etc.

Took a slab to an imaging studio in Manhattan and they wanted to charge me $30 an image - did not do this but I wondered if anyone knows what type of machines they would likely be using?

I've been taking mine to Staples to have them scanned and they come out fairly good. One Staples in my area just got a new machine (Xerox) and they are coming out even better.

Again, curious about more expensive solutions just out of curiosity - what does CGC use, does anyone know?

When it's saved on your desktop though, what program do you use to "Adjust Color"?

HP Scan is at the top of my screen, I just click on "Tools and the Adjust Color"