• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

Does anybody have any advice on what setting to put on a HP Photosmart 6520? It works great on raw books, but when I try to scan slabs it gets blurry, and a little dark.

300 dpi and it will make a huge difference.

Example:

scan at 200 dpi

PlanetComics19_zps9561f7d9.jpg

scan at 300 dpi

PlanetComics19_zps879c7c95.jpg

So now the 8300 is the beast to get?

Yep, seems to be ... I'm liking my 8300 more, but man it's a beast to move it around. Suggest you make lot of room on your desk ... do you have a BIG desk? lol

Mine was on top of the cabinet next to my desk - no room on desk for the beast!

Well, I`ll be busy scanning a lot of comics all week ahead (thumbs u

Look up CCD vs. CIS. You're never going to get a good scan of a slab with a CIS.

Does anybody have any advice on what setting to put on a HP Photosmart 6520? It works great on raw books, but when I try to scan slabs it gets blurry, and a little dark.

300 dpi and it will make a huge difference.

Example:

scan at 200 dpi

PlanetComics19_zps9561f7d9.jpg

scan at 300 dpi

PlanetComics19_zps879c7c95.jpg

Thanks ArtBoy I'll try that.

Look up CCD vs. CIS. You're never going to get a good scan of a slab with a CIS.
:(:cry:

I just got in the 8300 and ma very pleased with the images. I'll ask again, does anyone know how to scan more than one image at a time. As in the fastest way possible.

Pretend there's a stack of 100 comics.

1. I dont' want to have to preview each image

Or if I do, I don't want to have to crop it every single time.

2. Can I set the dpi, color and lighting for all images to something other than default.

3. Is there a way to not "save to file" each individual scan.

I think I have 2. figured out as it seems to keep the settings from image to image, but can't solve 1 and 3.

So is there a general consensus on what looks better for slabs: scanner lid open (black around the book) or scanner lid closed (translucent around the book)? The majority of scans I see are lid closed, but the lid open scans look pretty nice as well.

So is there a general consensus on what looks better for slabs: scanner lid open (black around the book) or scanner lid closed (translucent around the book)? The majority of scans I see are lid closed, but the lid open scans look pretty nice as well.

You can also use a piece of cardboard or colored paper over the slab, makking sure it's big enough to cover the entire scanner bed and more

I just got in the 8300 and ma very pleased with the images. I'll ask again, does anyone know how to scan more than one image at a time. As in the fastest way possible.

Pretend there's a stack of 100 comics.

1. I dont' want to have to preview each image

Or if I do, I don't want to have to crop it every single time.

2. Can I set the dpi, color and lighting for all images to something other than default.

3. Is there a way to not "save to file" each individual scan.

I think I have 2. figured out as it seems to keep the settings from image to image, but can't solve 1 and 3.

I'm using the HP 8200 and spent last night scanning 136 images zzz using the default HP imaging software.

1) Once you hit scan and it opens the "HP imaging" window, if you go into scanning preferences, you should be able to disable the preview option. I prefer using it to highlight any dust etc... just in case.

2) The first time it previewed I adjusted the preferences (resolution, colour) rescan to accept the changes, manually cropped and saved that setting and cropping dimensions as a "scanning profile".

So for all other scans, once the preview is done, I load the "CGC profile" see the immediate crops and colour changes and hit accept to scan.

3) I've not found a way for this to be my default scanning profile, or skip the save as portion, but it cuts down a fair bit of time :)

I've noticed a large range in the quality of encapsulation with dust inside, and the barex sometimes causing light to reflect back in random places.

That and some of the 2nd hand slabs have been in the wars :whistle:

I have the Perfection 1600 and it does a great job. No problem with gaps between the items and the scanner glass.

The problem with Epson is no driver support for 64-bit OS's. I had to buy Vuescan to continue using it.

By the way, I just got a Brother MFC-J6720DW:

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/MFCJ6720DW/Overview#.UvUf0JKA1hE

While this is a great printer with the largest scan bed I have ever seen, it does not scan slabs properly. It does fine for stuff right on the glass, though.

To tell you the truth I cannot believe I picked the thing up for $170. It feels like a $400 printer. I didn't buy it to scan slabs but I couldn't help myself and try one out. Very blurry, no hope of it working right for slabs.

Anyone know a few scanners for magazine-sized CGC cases? That's a bit under 10"x14"

I bought a Mustek A3 1200 pro and getting the same results as below. :cry:

My new scanner doesn't give good results for CGC comic scans, but I'm happy with it for everything else.

Don't get a "Mustek A3 USB 2400 Pro" if you want to scan CGC graded comics. If you want to scan Treasury Comics or anything flat up to 11" x 16.5", it's great.

V2_004_Armorines_CGC96.png

DG

By the way, I just got a Brother MFC-J6720DW:

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/MFCJ6720DW/Overview#.UvUf0JKA1hE

While this is a great printer with the largest scan bed I have ever seen, it does not scan slabs properly. It does fine for stuff right on the glass, though.

To tell you the truth I cannot believe I picked the thing up for $170. It feels like a $400 printer. I didn't buy it to scan slabs but I couldn't help myself and try one out. Very blurry, no hope of it working right for slabs.

I have the Brother MFC-J6710DW, bought new from Staples. Wanted to scan large artwork (and print, fax etc).

I get the same results - it absolutely sucks for slabs.

Hi all,

Been following this thread for a while. It seems like most of the suggestions are around getting second-hand scanners. I haven't tried these models but I'm glad they are working out for folks. What I'd like to know is if anyone has ideas "if money were no object" - i.e. professional imaging equipment, high-end scanners etc.

Took a slab to an imaging studio in Manhattan and they wanted to charge me $30 an image - did not do this but I wondered if anyone knows what type of machines they would likely be using?

I've been taking mine to Staples to have them scanned and they come out fairly good. One Staples in my area just got a new machine (Xerox) and they are coming out even better.

Again, curious about more expensive solutions just out of curiosity - what does CGC use, does anyone know?

If money weren't an object i'd still get an HP 8300. When it came out a few years back it was a $500 MSRP scanner. Now you probably pay more for shipping than the scanner itself. I scanned a negative with it as well and the result was f-ing amazing in my opinion. I'll post some sample scans and settings in a bit.

Thanks.

To contribute to the thread, here is Staples' Xerox machine, charging sometimes $2 an image, sometimes $2 for the first only and pennies for subsequent images:

FFAnnual_06_85a_histo25plus_zpse7371043.jpg

Maybe I should start charging for color adjustments :D

wuqpsm.jpg

Thanks! I have been experimenting with adjustments these past weeks. I use a tool I bought a couple years back called SnagIt and typically jack a setting called "histo-contrast" up to 50% or 75%, whatever looks better.

Here are the results. They know me at the local Staples now and are charging me 25 cents a side.

ali0231982no005c01g98a_hist50_zpsf18e40f3.jpg

ali0231982no005c01g98b_hist50_zps30fed461.jpg

I got this on eBay. Nice scan! I thought. (nice book too).

Seller said he used a Microtek ScanMaker i800. Anyone have experience with this model?

(Distinguished Competition name redacted.)

str0271951no111c02g55f_zpsfb31e169.jpg

I use an i800...

superman9.jpg