• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

Greetings all,

Looking for a 11x17 (ledger) size scanner for magazine/oversize CGC stuff. I started a thread HERE since it is a different size, and didn't want anyone else to wade through all the info here unless specifically needed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Big Thanks!

I have the I800 scanner by Microtek. I got some CGC books in today and started scanning and just got fed up with how bad my scans look. I had tried in the past to adjust settings but never could get a scan true to how the comic looked.

Finally I believe I have it.

Input: Magazine

Scan: 300 dpi

Filter: Restore colors NO, Restore Fading NO, Sharpen YES

Color Balance: Auto Levels

Brightness: 0.73

First scan is my old settings and 2nd is new settings. The 2nd scan looks as close to the true colors of the book as I can get.

DD4bc_zpsa4299639.jpg

DD4bc2_zps0215a86e.jpg

It isn't a legal-sized scanner, but I have an old Lexmark 3-in-1 that I do all my scans with, and I don't have to touch a thing in the settings. Why aren't more modern scanners able to get a "correct" scan without messing with all of this stuff I see you guys talk about?

Seriously, the Lexmark runs off of a machine with Win98 as its OS...

:baiting:

-slym

I have the I800 scanner by Microtek. I got some CGC books in today and started scanning and just got fed up with how bad my scans look. I had tried in the past to adjust settings but never could get a scan true to how the comic looked.

Finally I believe I have it.

Input: Magazine

Scan: 300 dpi

Filter: Restore colors NO, Restore Fading NO, Sharpen YES

Color Balance: Auto Levels

Brightness: 0.73

First scan is my old settings and 2nd is new settings. The 2nd scan looks as close to the true colors of the book as I can get.

DD4bc_zpsa4299639.jpg

DD4bc2_zps0215a86e.jpg

DD4_zpsa5790d62.jpg

You did get the colors to be more vibrant but they are not true to how my colors look on my DD4.

I'm trying to get my scans to be as accurate as possible which I was able to get.

I remember Jamie Graham showing me a CGC graded X-men 1 at SDCC that had really bad browning on the front cover whites. He said the comic looked great in the ebay scan and did not show near the discoloration. Scan was manipulated to look better than it was.

changing DPI settings makes a huge difference as well.

Here is the first scan of my Planet Comics 19 at 200 dpi:

PlanetComics19_zps9561f7d9.jpg

Here is the same book at 300 dpi. Scanner is my HP 7400 C

PlanetComics19_zps879c7c95.jpg

I just bought a used HP 7400C off ebay..hope it works good. Your picture looks great.

This thread doesn't belong on page three.

No, it does not.

So I've finally got my HP 8250 all hooked up. If you missed my previous post, I bought it new in the box off eBay for $70 shipped - BAM! :banana:

I like this scanner and it is very fast. You do have to mess with the contrast a bit to get the image right, but aside from that I am very happy with this scanner. I'll post a few pics when I have time.

I picked up a ScanJet 8200 off eBay. Here is the process I've found to work pretty well, though I realize it may be clunky for others. Thanks to all previous posters for sharing their settings! It gave me a real head start. If anyone has specific suggestions after seeing my scans, please let me know.

I have a Mac, and am running a Windows 7 VM in order to get the scanner to work for driver compatibility reasons.

Windows Fax and Scan program, scanner cover closed

200 DPI

Brightness 0

Contrast 100

Repeat the scan with the book flipped in case of glare

Crop to 1600x2600

Copy to Mac

Open image in Preview (default image viewer in Mac)

Click Tools > Adjust Color and drag the black level a bit to the right to roughly where the three color plots first intersect, and hold the book next to the screen to make sure the colors on the screen are accurate

colors_zps86abf7c0.png

Click Tools > Adjust Size to 37.5% so that Photobucket doesn't try to resize photos (I've found Photobucket resize to be inferior, some detail is lost). Resulting size is 600x975, just slightly smaller than what Photobucket gives of 630x1024.

Upload to Photobucket

I've posted two scans of the same book here following this process, flipped to account for the glare issue -- I just need to figure out which glare position I dislike least (unless I can get figure out how to get rid of it altogether, of course).

ww03af_zps5344fa79.jpeg

ww03bf_zpsca4d9db9.jpeg

Auto adjust isn't quite right for me, but I'm guessing that's because it moves the gray also. So as you suggest, I tightened up the white. Basically on both black and white, slide inward until all the RGB colors are starting in the chart. Definitely prettier (thumbs u but doesn't appear to be more accurate -- right now the yellow looks too bright if I slide the white to the left, but my outside daylight is fading away which could be influencing things...

Large thread. What would be the most current and best scanner for slabs that's not a ton of cash? thanks

Honestly, your best bet is eBay. You can find a brand new legal size flatbed for about $300 to $400 or higher or you can find one on eBay for less than $100. I got my HP 7400c used with all the cords for about $50 and it is loud when scanning but works perfect.

Large thread. What would be the most current and best scanner for slabs that's not a ton of cash? thanks

Honestly, your best bet is eBay. You can find a brand new legal size flatbed for about $300 to $400 or higher or you can find one on eBay for less than $100. I got my HP 7400c used with all the cords for about $50 and it is loud when scanning but works perfect.

Thanks. how is the HPscan Jet 8300? read that it was good with 3d objects and has the CCD tec.