• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

My aged Win.7 PC died yesterday, so I bought myself a new, faster, stronger (almost like the Six-Million-Dollar Man) brand new Win 10 PC.

I've been dreading that day, because I was fearing that I'd have to go back to Win 7, purely to use my HP 8300. Lots of hassle, I figured.

Well .. forgive me if this is old news ... (I thought they didn't, but) HP HAVE WIN 10 DRIVERS ON THEIR WEBSITE!!!!!

Sorry, had to share my elation.

My aged Win.7 PC died yesterday, so I bought myself a new, faster, stronger (almost like the Six-Million-Dollar Man) brand new Win 10 PC.

I've been dreading that day, because I was fearing that I'd have to go back to Win 7, purely to use my HP 8300. Lots of hassle, I figured.

Well .. forgive me if this is old news ... (I thought they didn't, but) HP HAVE WIN 10 DRIVERS ON THEIR WEBSITE!!!!!

Or you can use Vue Scan and you don't have to worry about drivers.

Or you can use Vue Scan and you don't have to worry about drivers.

Cheers, I did think about Vue Scan, but not having used it before and being used to HP's full package .. it's great that I can use the 8300 same as I used to.

I use an Hp all In One does a great job. The problem is that sometimes the scanned image shows some "ghosting" of the print text on the back side of the front cover which in clear white areas of the actual front cover art looks like dirt blemished.

All,

I've finally replaced my Printer (went for MFC-J6920DW).

As a result I have a working Microtek Scanmaker 8700 available. I've used this for all my books scans and fits a standard CGC slab perfectly and works with VueScan.

Based in Melbourne, Australia, so this is most likely suited for Aussie boardies.

Some examples below (or check out my posts):

24911319914_823e1d8a3c_b.jpg

Avengers 96 94 1A by Every Day A Story, on Flickr

22376100883_e2c7b712b2_c.jpg

Enormous #1 Phantom Variant CGC 9.8 by Every Day A Story, on Flickr

17529401063_ea2d9a1b19_b.jpg

Just to clarify...any scanner using CIS technology is no good for scanning slabbed books, correct?

Also, does anyone have a list of current scanners or all-in-ones that use CCD and can fit the CGC books? I just contacted Epson and I was told that none of their current CCD models can fit anything bigger than 8.5x11...except for a graphic arts scanner that is well over $2000.

Has anyone noticed that that new CGC slabs scan differently than the old slabs? It appears that the new ultra white grade box is making my scans appear much darker. Does anyone know what setting in VueScan can correct this for the new slabs?

Here is an example of an old slab that I scanned:

Amazing%20Spider-Man%20328%20CGC%209.8%20W%20A_zps8gsykgtr.jpg

Here is a scan of a new slab on the same scanner with the same VueScan settings:

Darkhawk%201%20CGC%209.8%20W%20A_zpsfwsawvmh.jpg

See the difference? Thanks.

Has anyone noticed that that new CGC slabs scan differently than the old slabs? It appears that the new ultra white grade box is making my scans appear much darker. Does anyone know what setting in VueScan can correct this for the new slabs?

Here is an example of an old slab that I scanned:

Amazing%20Spider-Man%20328%20CGC%209.8%20W%20A_zps8gsykgtr.jpg

Here is a scan of a new slab on the same scanner with the same VueScan settings:

Darkhawk%201%20CGC%209.8%20W%20A_zpsfwsawvmh.jpg

See the difference? Thanks.

I've had the same problem. Books usually look significantly darker in the new slabs. Seems even more noticeable on the lighter colored covers.

For quite a while I was using your VueScan settings, which you posted in this thread a while back. Then I switched to someone else's settings, which he mentioned in his sales thread a month or two ago. They may be a little better than yours, but don't do much to help with the darkness in the new slabs.

Going shopping for a new legal size scanner or a legal size all-in-one this weekend. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I would get a HP model that is legal sized so it handles slabs.

I bought my scanner from a pawn shop for $10. It is a HP 6700.

It works with Vuescan, and it fits slabs.

sample magazine scan which I think looks great:

Savage%20Sword%20235_zps7qelwbnl.jpg

Updated to Sierra for Mac OS and now my HP8250 no longer works

Was thinking of getting an new one anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve the sierras issue or any updates on scanners that work with sierra ?

Just to clarify...any scanner using CIS technology is no good for scanning slabbed books, correct?

Also, does anyone have a list of current scanners or all-in-ones that use CCD and can fit the CGC books? I just contacted Epson and I was told that none of their current CCD models can fit anything bigger than 8.5x11...except for a graphic arts scanner that is well over $2000.

1) Corrct

2) See below for older models that can scan CGC slabs (CCD format).

Here is a list(Thanks Sharon!) from this thread of scanners that people have confirmed as compatible for slabs using the CCD format, many suggest using Vuescan for best editing tool.

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL

Microteks 9600-9700-9800

Most new off the shelf units are CIS format, will be blurry(see HP 8600 example above). Editing will not eliminate the blurriness.

Edited by GACollectibles

Plustek - has a CCD scanner that is a lot less than the new CCD epson -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/530697-REG/Plustek_Technology_Inc_261_BBM21_C_OpticPro_A320_Tabloid_Flatbed.html

but I do not think anyone has tried it yet.......

:bump: Has any one tried one of these yet?